Used 1998 Dodge Caravan Consumer Reviews - 55 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Dodge Caravan

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:

A great vehicle
By kctoolguy

1998 Dodge Caravan LE 4dr Minivan

The best vehicle I have ever owned. The 4 cylinder engine has been flawless, mileage could be better, 22 city 28 on long hwy trips, transmission lasted until 150K, doesn't burn oil at 212K, still has original rear brakes fronts last about 25K with cheap pads, 40K with ceramic pads, second set of tires (Michelin) lasted over 100K, good (Bosch) plugs last 30 to 40K, timing belts last 130K+. I would buy another one.

Well engineered, perfect size, will haul about anything.

better mileage, a little more low speed power with the A/C on, the girls softball team and equipment on board! Relocate fuel filter from above gas tank.

very good van
By Buddy5960

1998 Dodge Caravan 3dr Minivan

I bought this van used and i have had very minimal trouble with it.Very good van.

Good gas mileadge.

Tinted windows should be standerd.

Great until 100,000 miles
By Deb

1998 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

Bought my van from a Dodge dealer used in 2001 with about 40,000 miles on the engine. Overall was a great vehicle, minimum break downs, did have problem keeping brakes, both time replaced still under warranty. Lucky me. Air conditioning also had to be repaired. At 106,000 miles on Christmas eve 2008 we lost our transmission on interstate 95, fully loaded with Christmas tree and gifts, on our way to my sisters in Boston. 70 miles from home, with my 12 year old daughter, and 10 below zero. Was not fun experience. $2600 to replace the transmission with a factory rebuilt engine. We decided to get out while the getting was good before this became a money pit. And purchased a new car.

Huge cargo area, love that, I am self employed, and this was the best feature. I do shows and I could load tons of merchandise as well as my displays into this van. Comfortable ride. I miss my van!

Please Dodge if you want to stay in business improve your transmissions. There have been so many issues with them with the Caravan. I knew about this and even with good maintenance we still lost ours. Shame, I loved this van, it was very useful. But until Dodge improves this I will not buy another.

Comfortable transportation
By smoke2345

1998 Dodge Caravan SE 4dr Minivan

I've had my minivan for eleven years and had only major issue I have had is to replace the starter after seven years. I hear a lot about bad transmissions in these vehicles, but I have not had a problem with mine. Possibly because I have had it serviced when I was supposed to. Overall, it's been very reliable.

Comfort, front and back (with captain chairs)

Make it easier to change the damn air filter. I've never had a car that was as difficult as this. I'll have the dealer do it from now on.

one of the reasons Chrysler is going bye
By pedro

1998 Dodge Caravan LE 4dr Minivan

My wife bought this thing,even though I objected. I wanted her to get an Odyssey. but she told me "I'm paying for it I pick" Good thing she used better judgment when picking a husband. This thing gets broken, fixed, and then breaks again. It's not the mechanic's fault cause he also works on my accord and that one stays fixed. This thing is made to be have a usable life of 4 years and that's it. Junk it or sell it to your worst enemy. Biggest piece of crap you could buy. You wonder how American car makers got the reputation they got.This is a prime example.

comfy for family trips but since we can't trust it to make it to the next town, its useless.

Make it to last or at least when you fix something it should stay fixed.