Used 1997 Dodge Caravan Consumer Reviews - 25 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Dodge Caravan

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:

Gotcha's all beat!
By Unhappy and Broke

1997 Dodge Caravan ES 4dr Minivan

I just may have you all beat on the repairs, lol.One thing a little different, when I turn on my wipers, sometimes they'll come on, and when they finally come on they won't shut off until you are totally aggravated by the wiper dragging across the dry windshield. I have replaced the tie rods, tie rod ends, sway bar, bearings, power steering pump, fuses,taken it in for 3 recalls, only to find I had to replace the tension pulley, the ac doesn't work, the only fan speed left for heat is high,the head lights won't stay on,the parking lights don't work anymore (rusted sockets). Needs rotors, brakes again, this year, had a strut plate put in for the rusted housing, other side needs now and struts, door stripping.

The only thing now that I can think of that I liked was sitting high. seats are awful to take out or move or put back in.

Fix all that are common problems if you want to keep in business. I won't buy another Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth product. I just can't sink any more money into this vehicle. New motto, instead of get out of dodge; get away from dodge!

My MiniVan
By David

1997 Dodge Caravan ES 4dr Minivan

After researching for another car I decided to look at the ratings for the Dodge I own. It was unexpected to see such lower ratings for it. I figured I would help out and show that my minivan did not fall apart like the others. I bought my minivan in 1999 when it was a 2 year old model. My wife and I have loved every minute of it, and we have 2 kids. I have the 3.3L Sport, and I get at least 19-21 mpg, with good passing power and comfort. I currently have 134,000 miles on it, and I haven't had any issues at all. The engine is still strong, and the interior looks good, even with kids. I can remove the seats, interchange them, and still have plenty of room in the rear. No complaints.

Interchangeable rear seats, dual sliding doors, great mileage and comfort.

With this minivan being about 10 years old now, all items have been improved on. I have rented newer models over the past years, and they are great.

One Great Van.
By Kelly Lloyd

1997 Dodge Caravan LE 4dr Minivan

This has been a terrific van. It has never failed to start and had no repairs except for brakes and normal maintenance. It is a pleasure to drive, gets good fuel mileage, and rides very good. I like it so much, I bought a 2006 Town & Country last December, but I am not getting rid of my '97.

It does everything
By Paul Revere

1997 Dodge Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

One of best I have ever owned, along with Honda. Enjoyed driving every time. No back pain on long drives.Properly serviced made it dependable.When not carring dogs and people,it always had room to carry the things I needed to finsh building a cabin.The exterior finish is still like new.

Able to remove the two back seats and a side door to put in big things.

Make it in the USA.

Reliable
By june

1997 Dodge Caravan SE 3dr Minivan

This car is fun to drive and also reliable as long as you take good care of it. If something is wrong with the car, take care of it as fast as you can, and it will never give you any problems

The room it has for you and your family