Used 2009 Dodge Caliber Consumer Reviews - 52 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Dodge Caliber

View reviews for a specific Caliber model:

I've driven better.....
By rlfeen

2009 Dodge Caliber SXT 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I am the second owner of my Caliber. It currently has 136k~ miles on it.

Roomy car, love the exterior. Interior is nice, however the design hasn't aged well. A TON of plastic. Plastic is everywhere is there are NO soft touch materials except the headliner and seats.

HORRIBLE suspension. Replaced lower control arms, ball joints, you name I've replaced it. Luckily I bought a GREAT warranty.

Drives great on the highway. Smooth and quiet.
city driving is okay, hate the CVT especially in the city. Feels like it takes for ever to get up
and go. (it is a larger car so I guess this is expected).

Paint is still pretty good. I have black so it shows EVERY flaw.

Smooth and quiet, especially on the highway. Exterior looks. Great for hauling stuff. I hauled a 5x8' UHAUL from MD to AZ and it did just fine. Pretty reliable. Starting to age and I will be getting rid of it soon.

Obviously Dodge just scrapped the whole design of the Caliber after a 5 year run. The Dart is a lot better. Suspension, quality in general, paint, interior. Had to replace alternator, fuel pump, A/C compressor, all of suspension.

Junk
By gedged

2009 Dodge Caliber R/T 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

First, the car is a total slug. Makes alot of noise and goes no where. If you're merging onto the highway, PLAN AHEAD. If there is a vehicle coming, let it go by to give you a LONG launch pad...
The auto trans is the worst unit I have seen. It's variable = junk.
Finally- the antifreeze problem. When I left the dealership, the car overheated 5 minutes down the road. The radiator was only a 1/4 full!!!! After that, I would have to fill it every week...No puddles under the car, no obvious leaks, clean oil.. So, where did the fluid go?!?!
In closing, with exception of the gas mileage, this was the biggest auto purchase MISTAKE I have made!!!!

Caliber on Fire
By losam

2009 Dodge Caliber SXT 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Until now I have had no problems; but 12 minutes into my commute to work on February 28th proved to be fatal for my car and the truck parked beside it.
There was the odor of something burning so I turned of everything electrical that I could think of that might be the cause. After coming to a complete stop in the parking lot at my workplace, I noticed steam coming from under the hood and the odor of antifreeze. Three minutes later, the engine compartment totally engulfed in flames resulting in a total lose 20 minutes later. The fire was so hot that its color was almost white. Still waiting to hear what caused the fire. Only 28,600 miles on this ride!

Heated seats, Sirius xm radio, Fuel effeciency(23mpg - City -- 28mpg - Highway), Easy to park, 115-volt outlet, Chill-Zone beverage storage, and the powerful feel of the 2.0, 4-cylinder engine (Nice).

Overall a nice ride while it lasted. The only suggestion, find the reason for the fire before someone becomes a fatality. Five more minutes behind the wheel of this car and I might have become that fatality.

Not luxurious but decent little ride
By bryancpe

2009 Dodge Caliber SXT 4dr Wagon (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car new and I've put 66000 miles on this car without a need for any repairs. The ride is comfortable but not luxurious by any means. The ride is fairly smooth and gets great mileage. Typically I get 30-31 mpg. On long interstate trips I get about 28. Why you might ask do I get lesser mpg? It has a tiny engine (2.0L) that works harder to maintain 70+ mph speeds. I keep up with the maintenance religiously as I live in the hot desert of Arizona and want this vehicle to last. The vehicle idles heavy and is weak on the acceleration. The cabin is
bit small but I do have two toddler car seats in the back seat. Cargo space can be limited, especially with a big stroller. Does the job!

The gas mileage is the best feature. The price point for this vehicle is just right. Dodge put a lifetime warranty on the drive train on this model year for original owners. That means as long as I maintain the vehicle properly and drive it for the next couple decades that they still cover it. When used for cargo, ALL the seats can fold down (minus the driver obviously). I carried 8 foot objects before.

Solve the heavy idling (vibration) problem. Need a better armrest (maybe add a pad). More convenient passenger drink holder. Improve driver left leg space because it is a bit tight.

2009 Caliber
By sm3230

I bought
this car with 27000 miles on it and now I have just under 52000, and the transmission went. The warranty expired at 36000, so if you are going to buy one of these cars, beware ! How dare they charge you for an extended warranty, when they know that the product they are selling is crap....

Great gas mileage

Dodge should stand behind what they build, not put the burden on the buyer to pay for an extended warranty, knowing full well that there are transmission problems with this auto. Look back at other years, the tranmissions seems to be a commmon link.