Used 2013 Dodge Avenger Consumer Reviews - 16 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Dodge Avenger Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avenger model:

Avenger is in the middle of the road
By Dave Drake

2013 Dodge Avenger SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Good car for the price, not super loaded with bells and whistles but gets us from A to B with out any problem. Comfortable as far as we need bought it new in ‘13 and have 45k miles on it, no major issues with it and it seems to be holding up well. The back seat is small and not comfortable but we don’t need to use it often. No leaks and did the front and rear brakes along with new tires recently and were good to go! The only problem was the power mirror switch went out at about 40k but was inexpensive and easy to replace.

Love my Avenger
By Roxie

2013 Dodge Avenger R/T 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have owned this 5 years, I love it! when I accelerate on the on ramp it really moves with the v6. Has a big trunk, I have 90,000 miles on it, only rear brakes and oil changes, new tires I have been lucky with this car. I don’t want to drive a crossover or SUV. This is my 14th new vehicle I did the mini van with kids. Either I am just lucky or I treat my cars well.

Mopar Man
By Robert Bane

2013 Dodge Avenger R/T 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my 2013 Avenger as a left over in March of 2014 with only 15 miles on the odometer. My first experience as a Dodge owner was with a 1996 Intrepid that my wife thought looked pretty nice and said I should try it out. It had 45,000 miles when I purchased it and I drove it for the next twelve years and when I finally gave it up it had 325,000 miles on it. Naturally I was drawn to the Dodge brand and the Avenger was a sporty looking car and I needed something to teach my daughter how to drive in. My other kids got to drive the Intrepid. I really wanted the Charger, but opted for the smaller sized car. Still not a bad choice. I opted for the 3.6L V6 engine since that was what my Intrepid had in it and have never been disappointed. the only problem I have encountered was when the car was about three months old, the transmission seemed to lock up one time as I was rolling to a stop sign. I couldn't get it to go into gear, but after towing it to the dealer and having them check it out, they found nothing and it never happened again. I now have almost 100,000 miles, I drive it a lot, have been through two sets of tires, change my own oil every 5,000 miles religiously and keep it a clean as I can living in North East Ohio. It's a blast to drive on the twisting up and down roads even in the snow. One of my co-workers drives a Subaru and he couldn't keep up with me one night. Sometimes you get bad cars, sometimes you get good cars. I work in the Auto industry and all the parts come from the same bin no matter who buys them. If you take care of your equipment, it will take care of you. If you like a sporty car, not too big or small with lots of power, this is your ride.

Hot yeah....no a/c. No room car seats
By L W

2013 Dodge Avenger SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

A/C goes out on these so we traded it in last week. Google and see goes out on this car. Also, forget car seats this car for three babies/toddlers....don't fit in.

Don't do it!
By Kumacho

2013 Dodge Avenger SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have had more than 25 cars in my life. Of those I have purchased 5 new cars. This is the worst new car I have ever owned and one of the worst overall cars I have ever owned.

It overheated within 5,000 miles of ownership. An orange grime appeared in the overflow tank and when I took it to the dealership they told me they had seen it numerous times and it was casting material that had not been completely flushed from the system at the factory.

The cruise control would refuse to turn on at times and the dealership could never reproduce it so it never was repaired. It just became an issue I had to “live with”.

Fit and finish is mediocre at best. The plastic surrounding the radio and middle vents in the dash never matched and again, the dealership stated replacing it wouldn’t change the gaps or the poor fit.

The car had a surge from the day I bought it. It also would start up and surge after a cold start, as if it were running too lean. After three new releases of programing for the engine management computer the surge was still there. It would surge at 25-35 mph and at 60ish mph.

For 178 horse power this car has undesirable and inexcusable torque steer. Leave a light from a stop and the car will pull hard right. Leave the light under hard acceleration and if you don’t have ahold of the wheel you will do an un-commanded lane change in short order.

The transmission never shifted smoothly. Going uphill it would hunt for a gear. Each time the transmission changes gears the torque steer pulls on the steering so going up a hill you are constantly correcting.

The airbag warning light went off at 50,000 miles. Source was a terrible design by Dodge. There is a bungee cord pulling down on the wire bundle that leads to the headrest airbags. Place a 220 pound man in the driver’s seat with this bungee cord pulling on the wires and you get broken wires. Doesn’t take an engineer to figure that one out.

Overall – Poor design, poor build quality, poor economy, horrible dealer support (or lack thereof) and a car that appears to be built to die in 5 years or less.

*UPDATE* Chrysler has stopped production on the Dart, 200 and Avenger. These platforms were substandard compared with others in the same class.

Since I created this review; I have traded the Avenger for a Nissan Altima. I traded it with the same company that has sold me my last 5 cars. The best they would offer me for trade was $5,600. Trouble from the day I purchased it, poor MPG, mediocre quality and a horrid resale value.