Used 2013 Dodge Avenger Consumer Reviews - 14 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Dodge Avenger Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Avenger model:

Mopar Man
By Robert Bane

2013 Dodge Avenger R/T 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my 2013 Avenger as a left over in March of 2014 with only 15 miles on the odometer. My first experience as a Dodge owner was with a 1996 Intrepid that my wife thought looked pretty nice and said I should try it out. It had 45,000 miles when I purchased it and I drove it for the next twelve years and when I finally gave it up it had 325,000 miles on it. Naturally I was drawn to the Dodge brand and the Avenger was a sporty looking car and I needed something to teach my daughter how to drive in. My other kids got to drive the Intrepid. I really wanted the Charger, but opted for the smaller sized car. Still not a bad choice. I opted for the 3.6L V6 engine since that was what my Intrepid had in it and have never been disappointed. the only problem I have encountered was when the car was about three months old, the transmission seemed to lock up one time as I was rolling to a stop sign. I couldn't get it to go into gear, but after towing it to the dealer and having them check it out, they found nothing and it never happened again. I now have almost 100,000 miles, I drive it a lot, have been through two sets of tires, change my own oil every 5,000 miles religiously and keep it a clean as I can living in North East Ohio. It's a blast to drive on the twisting up and down roads even in the snow. One of my co-workers drives a Subaru and he couldn't keep up with me one night. Sometimes you get bad cars, sometimes you get good cars. I work in the Auto industry and all the parts come from the same bin no matter who buys them. If you take care of your equipment, it will take care of you. If you like a sporty car, not too big or small with lots of power, this is your ride.

Hot yeah....no a/c. No room car seats
By L W

2013 Dodge Avenger SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

A/C goes out on these so we traded it in last week. Google and see goes out on this car. Also, forget car seats this car for three babies/toddlers....don't fit in.

Don't do it!
By Kumacho

2013 Dodge Avenger SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have had more than 25 cars in my life. Of those I have purchased 5 new cars. This is the worst new car I have ever owned and one of the worst overall cars I have ever owned.

It overheated within 5,000 miles of ownership. An orange grime appeared in the overflow tank and when I took it to the dealership they told me they had seen it numerous times and it was casting material that had not been completely flushed from the system at the factory.

The cruise control would refuse to turn on at times and the dealership could never reproduce it so it never was repaired. It just became an issue I had to “live with”.

Fit and finish is mediocre at best. The plastic surrounding the radio and middle vents in the dash never matched and again, the dealership stated replacing it wouldn’t change the gaps or the poor fit.

The car had a surge from the day I bought it. It also would start up and surge after a cold start, as if it were running too lean. After three new releases of programing for the engine management computer the surge was still there. It would surge at 25-35 mph and at 60ish mph.

For 178 horse power this car has undesirable and inexcusable torque steer. Leave a light from a stop and the car will pull hard right. Leave the light under hard acceleration and if you don’t have ahold of the wheel you will do an un-commanded lane change in short order.

The transmission never shifted smoothly. Going uphill it would hunt for a gear. Each time the transmission changes gears the torque steer pulls on the steering so going up a hill you are constantly correcting.

The airbag warning light went off at 50,000 miles. Source was a terrible design by Dodge. There is a bungee cord pulling down on the wire bundle that leads to the headrest airbags. Place a 220 pound man in the driver’s seat with this bungee cord pulling on the wires and you get broken wires. Doesn’t take an engineer to figure that one out.

Overall – Poor design, poor build quality, poor economy, horrible dealer support (or lack thereof) and a car that appears to be built to die in 5 years or less.

*UPDATE* Chrysler has stopped production on the Dart, 200 and Avenger. These platforms were substandard compared with others in the same class.

Since I created this review; I have traded the Avenger for a Nissan Altima. I traded it with the same company that has sold me my last 5 cars. The best they would offer me for trade was $5,600. Trouble from the day I purchased it, poor MPG, mediocre quality and a horrid resale value.

Handles like its on rails!
By Edalb

2013 Dodge Avenger SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Make sure your thermostats are working. Anyway this car handles awesome and the 4cyl is pretty quick too. The sound system is decent enough that I'm not going to change it until I blow a speaker. The trunk space is big too. Your tires are 225 which is awesome for a little car.

Got the Wobbles
By Jon

2013 Dodge Avenger SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Okay. So I have had my 2013 Avenger for about a year and a half. I'm sitting at 68,700 miles. A few months ago my brakes completely locked up and I couldn't even move my car. Cost my almost $1,000 to get it fixed. Now not even 3 months later my brakes are squeaking again. Terrible on brakes! Also a current issue.. I don't know if it's the transmission or what, but the entire car feels like it's vibrating and the steering wheel is especially wobbley. I hate it. It's so annoying! I will be trading this car in as soon as I can afford to and I will advise everyone who is looking for a new car not to purchase a Dodge Avenger. Terrible car!