Used 2008 Dodge Avenger Consumer Reviews - 168 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Dodge Avenger

View reviews for a specific Avenger model:

What was i thinking?
By bbgurl

2008 Dodge Avenger SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

There is something wrong with the Dodge avenger that I purchased. Within the first year of owning the vehicle it has shut off while driving at least 5 times. I was driving on the highway at 80 mph and the car shut off the wheel wouldn't turn and brakes wouldn't work. After the car stopped on it own, on the highway. I put it in park and turned engine off then back on. After that the car just stalls in the worst possibly moments. It doesn't move matter how many times I press the gas pedal until it wants. Then I couldn't get the car off of park. This is the worst car ever, I have been in and out of Dodge service b/c there is always something wrong.

i love how it starts using key.

water falls in the trunk.

Worst car I've owned
By TERRIBLE CAR!

2008 Dodge Avenger SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought my Avenger 5 months ago and have made several repairs. #1-Rotors were shot. Replaced rotors and had rear brake drums turned. #2-Air Filter lid was too tight. Broke when I tried to replace. Dealer had to order part and fix. #3-Car died twice when I came to a stop. Dealer had to update software on the car. Finally, my car got stuck in park this weekend. Now it is in the shop to get repaired again. This car is a joke. Looks great on the outside. Made with cheap parts. NEVER buy a Dodge. I owned a Stratus before & didn't learn my lesson. As soon as I paid off my Stratus the transmission went out. I could either pay huge $$ for repairs or get rid of it. Folks, Dodge still hasn't learned.

Appearance on the outside is great.

Braking system needs improvements. Rotors are cheap. Brakes cannot handle the car. Find a new air filter cover assembly. Don't use plastic parts in the gear shift assembly. This is cheap junk!

In the Shop
By Cris

2008 Dodge Avenger SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought in 2008 and it was in the shop three times in the first 6 weeks from a problem created by the dealer - failed to re-install the headliner correctly. Within 1 year, air conditioner failed due to a broken fan - that one took three tripe to two different dealer to fix. Now back in the shop at 27K miles with another fan failure. Also the passenger side window does not work and the transmission makes a horrid noise when it down shifts. Looks great, gas mileage is incredible (as high as 33 MPG on the highway), but can not rely on it. Dealer service departments in the area are fairly incompetent which does not help.

Gas mileage

Remove from the product line.

A Very Cool Nana's Avenger
By sportynana

2008 Dodge Avenger SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

At age 63, I LOVE this car as it feels real 'sporty' to drive - even at my age! I've only owned it for 5 months - it has only 16,000 miles on it and so far, no troubles. It gets very good mileage - even around town. It's very easy to park the car (I had a van b/4 and had a very difficult time parking and backing up). It's just plain fun to drive and the gorgeous 'blue' color and 'spoiler' on the trunk is terrific!

comfort sporty feel and looks reliability good gas mileage

Head-turner in Europe
By Paganarh

2008 Dodge Avenger SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased as new on June of 09, so not even year old, but I'm really enjoying driving this car. Its smooth and relaxed, but doesn't object when you floor it to overtake another car on the freeway. Mind you, 2,4 is already to the "big" side, as far as engines go in Europe on middle class sedans. Only bone to pick is that "chill zone" a bit useless for me, darkening rear mirror works only when somebody is really riding your tail and default battery is weak- couldn't get car started when outside was "only" -20C/-4F, gonna change it for next winter. Other than that, I love this car and it really stands out amongst plain European and eastern cars around me. And there's only 4 Avengers in Estonia

comfort, exterior looks, trunk space, good sound system

upgrade the battery before you sell it in northern Europe