Used 2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan Consumer Reviews - 168 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan

View reviews for a specific Avenger model:

Never would buy this model again
By SED

2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought this car, used, still under warranty. At 20K miles it took five trips to dealership to fix trunk leak, one week to fix shifter that was stuck in park, three weeks to fix transmission issue. Tho dealership kept taking it in to fix it, it shouldn't have had so many issues in the first place. Brakes started squealing at 20K too. Never got the gas mileage we expected. Paint started chipping off in spots.

It is a sharp looking car and comfortable to sit in. AC cools down the car quickly.

Recall on the shift lock problem, recall on the trunk leak problems

Very Disappointing. Will Never Buy Again
By amandas26

2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I've owned this car for about 3 years now and have constantly been having issues with the brakes. My power steering is about ready to go out for the second time. My radio shorted out and as soon as I got that fixed my Sirius radio quit working. Trunk leaks etc. I had a 97' Plymouth Breeze for 5 yrs. and never even had to replace the battery the whole time I owned it, I only had to get the head gasket replaced WAY after 100,000 miles. The Avenger is nowhere close to that and it already runs like a car that is 10 yrs. old. What happened Chrysler? Other than all of the mechanical problems, and hard hits to the checkbook, the car looks great! I still get compliments almost everyday.

exterior, Sirius radio (when it worked)

Everything.

Gear Shifter
By Jerry Beck

2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Gear shifter became stuck in park after only 54,000 miles. Took it to the original dealership yesterday and will ask the dealer to recommend a recall on the linkage part that is causing the problem. Once located, I had to shift gears manually under the hood and get in in Drive. Once at the dealership, I had to manually put it in Park.

This is the only problem that we have incurred since buying the vehicle other that the brakes squeaking when you back up. But, according to the salesman, this is natural. Right!

Issue a recall on the transmission linkage and replace it.

Gear box
By Davis

2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have a 2008 Avenger and got in it last night and could not get it out of park. Also the trunk leaks and have not been able to understand what the problem is. On the gears had to override the safe box just to get it to the Dodge House. I am sure for one little plastic piece they are going to want me to buy a hole new gear box.

The handling is great

Stop using plastic parts

2008 Dodge Avenger SXT
By Shaun

2008 Dodge Avenger Sedan SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car brand new in 2007. Since then, I had it in the shop numerous times. The most recent time was just this Monday, July 12, 2010. My car's shifter was stuck in park and would not budge. I googled this problem and it seems like A LOT of people are having the same issues. I had it towed and the dealership had to replace the enitre shifter assembly. NOTE: My car only has 43,000 miles on it! Dodge needs to do a recall on the shifter problem! (Also, the cup cooler quit working, there was a high pitch noise on front drivers side, had to replace brake pads and rotors but still had vibration in the car, and my back drivers side door has window issues) My advice: Don't buy this car!

Everything, it is a lemon!