Used 2008 Dodge Avenger Consumer Reviews - 168 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Dodge Avenger

View reviews for a specific Avenger model:

Nice look to attract but a money pit once you have it
By lory3

2008 Dodge Avenger SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I hate this car. It has been the worst car I have ever had not because of its looks,inner or outer looks but because it is just junk. Created junk to get money out of people period. Since getting this car we have been having one electrical problem after another one this is just ridiculous. Never would I have thought Dodge could have created such a junk. I just want to get over it as it is completely unreliable since it leaves my husband everywhere and we have to be pulling it to auto shops to try and see what the heck is wrong with it over and over again. Of course so much money goes into this. Please people do not get such a car unless you want to throw your money away. Completely unreliabl

Just how it looks and how spacious it is inside but the important thing should be to drive it and if unable to drive it what do I need it for

Electrical problems really need to be improved one hundred percent they should have gotten someone completely reliable and accredited to put that together, who did they get to create this piece of junk that now occupies space in my driveway without moving or going out every month?Junk Junk Junk, I truly trusted dodge as I had gotten my first car from them and it proved to be reliable, which is my first and main concern with it. This is the last time I ever acquire one of their vehicles. Again do not be dum like I was.

Just don't do it
By neverbuydodge

2008 Dodge Avenger SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought my car new in Sept '08.
Radio has been replaced 3 times now!
First time the CD player refused to open/eject.
2nd time the radio mysteriously erased my collection of over 300 songs I'd downloaded, and stopped loading my pics.
3rd time the radio started acting odd, then just died altogether.
That was finally replaced with a "new" radio, on which the screen now randomly goes completely black so that you can't use the touch screen at all, and most of the buttons are on the touch screen.
Tires were cracking and had to be replaced at around 30,000 miles.
Transmission has a leak now.
Dealership and Corporate both were a pain to deal with, very frustrating!

It is fun to drive, when it's not making bad noises, the roads aren't slick, and the radio is actually working. And when there is no traffic so that I don't have to turn (and almost hit someone in my blind spot) or change lanes (and almost hit someone in my blind spot).

Quality!!!!!! This vehicle was obviously made when Chrysler was low on funds, and they used the cheapest methods available. No new car should have this many problems. No American company should give such horrible customer service. I'll never ever buy Dodge again!

If This Helps Just One Person.....
By badavenger

2008 Dodge Avenger R/T 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

If you're considering buying an 08 Avenger, DON'T!!
My warranty expired on 10/09/11 (due to time, not mileage), 4 DAYS LATER, while getting new tires, the valve stem split apart when the valve cap was removed. Dodge won't authorize reimbursment of TPMS valve assembly. Then 15 days later I find out I need a new alternator after hearing a whining noise and battery idiot light came on while stopped. There's only 32,000 miles on the freakin' car!!! If I can help just one person save money with this review, then the time spent registering as a new user is worth it.

It Is What It Is
By notimeatall

2008 Dodge Avenger SE 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Recently bought a base model 08 Avenger with ABS for my kids to drive.
They've already totaled one vehicle so I was looking for something safe and inexpensive.
While I would never have bought the Avenger new, this car has worked out very well for us.
Key points for us were:

Safety - IIHS Top Safety pick.
Check out the side impact videos on IIHS's site.

Cost - We bought this vehicle for $7000 less than a comparable mileage 08 Honda Accord would have cost.
I don't expect it to last like a Honda, but we only expect 6K miles per year, and the $7000 will buy a lot of nuisance repairs!
I would not, however, have considered the $20K for new one - they DO depreciate FAST

Safety. Stereo. Styling (love it or hate it, at least it HAS some styling, compared to 90% of the other mid-sized sedans out there). I'm not a huge fan of Dodge's recent styling trend, but it is much better than nothing at all in this department.

In a used car for the purpose for which we bought it, can't make any suggestions.

If you like it, just wait and you won't!!
By virginiamother

2008 Dodge Avenger SXT 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

May looks nice, but the car wasn't built to last. Got it almost new & noticed the blind spots after a week. If u are tall, dont' get the sunroof. My husband HATES this car,his head hits the roof. Don't scratch it, even gently, it leaves a mark on the plastic interior. 4 days after my 36K mile point, it really fall apart. Some engine light came on and the Dodge people will not even look at it without $$89 dollars, took it to someone else & already hundreds of dollars to fix it. The window literally fell into the door after the regulator broke, $$200 bucks. One light has a short. The left front brake is gone & needs resurfacing, $$ hundreds. The leather on the driver seat is crumbling off!!!!!

It got better gas mileage than our truck... but everything does. It is not bad to look at. Other than those things this car should not be sold to anyone. I am a "Buy American" type of gal, but this car changed that. After 7 Dodge vehicles, I will never, ever, ever buy another one.

Recall them all and send an appology to anyone that was unfortunate enough to buy one, really. For those of you that are happy with it, all I have to say is, 'Just Wait... and you won't be.'