Used 1998 Dodge Avenger Coupe Consumer Reviews - 36 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Dodge Avenger Coupe

View reviews for a specific Avenger model:

Never Will Buy Another Dodge
By ngris_09

1998 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

This car has given me more problems than ever. Within the 1st year, the transmission has blown up twice, the cam seals have broke, and let's not forget the door handles have broke as well. I have the stock rims and regular tires and this car keeps getting stuck in the snow. The sunroof is starting to break as well. This car is just falling apart and I haven't done a thing to it! I could understand it doing this if i drove it like I stole it but its been adult driven and it still is doing this. Dodge didn't even make the engine, Mitsubishi did. The engine size is pathetic and its not even a manual. I will never buy a dodge again.

Tan Leather Interior, thats it

This car needs to have a 5 speed (or 6) and a much bigger engine. It would have helped me out a lot of this parts in this car just worked. It sucks to have to dump more money than what it's worth just to fix it up enough so it can be sold.

Piece of garbage
By piece of garbage

1998 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

Since I have owned this car I have had nothing but problems. My ck. Engine light comes on all the time. I have had the fuel injectors cleaned a lot, it always comes up with two codes. I have put over $2000 on repairs into this bucket. My door handle broke off also. To tune up this car, it costs $500 each time. No matter what I do the check engine light comes on. The ball joint broke off the axle, luckily I was only parking or the garage said if I was driving it at the time of the break, I and my children would have been killed. I feel Dodge should fix this car for free because obviously there should have been a recall about why the ck. Engine light is always on. The ball joint thing was a recall.

the way the car looks

I was expecting to get a good running car,but found out there is a Mitsubishi engine in it. i expect dodge to fix this motor for free. I expected an American motor in this car and got a lemon instead.

Looks awesome, fun to drive!
By aresauburn

1998 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

A great car that is very fun to drive. The 6 cylinder sounds good, but I wish late 90's cars such as these made more power. However, if you treat this car well, keep it maintained routinely, it will run reliably and look awesome!

The Avenger looks great, stock muffler sounds good, the suspension is good, and all-around is an awesome car! Also, easy to modify and add on to. Acceleration is powerful and distinct. The car looks fast and sometimes sounds like it could be faster than it is. The paint colors are nice too.

The automatic transmission was pretty much a dud for many of these cars. Many plastics on this car have issues (headlights fog with UV haze, interior center console plastic cracks and breaks). I wish the V6 made closer to 200 horses, to make up for my stock Avenger only getting about 15 mpg.

Better than Eclipse
By Misti

1998 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

I bought this car last year at a buy here pay here lot. You can tell it had had a rough life because of some damage. We took this car under our wing and started with a few minor repairs. In no time we had this car looking good. As far as the motor goes, oh my gosh, blows away the Eclipse. My boyfriend absolutely loves this car. The power is amazing! It has 180,000 miles on it and still running strong.

Power, interior, exterior

Better door handles. My boyfriend barely opened the door and the handle came off in his hand

Avenger
By Joy

1998 Dodge Avenger Coupe ES 2dr Coupe

I bought my Avenger over a year ago and have loved it. I have 115000 miles on it. I love the front, how fast and sporty it looks. It is very comfortable and I've only had to do minimal repairs. The door handles are a problem. I'm developing a kind of shudder when the car shifts now. I'm looking into the cause.

The hood and front end, interior styling, v6 engine. Roomy backseat. The fact that my friend with a Civic and with an Eclipse wont race me in either.

Door handles, cupholders, tilt steering needs more room to adjust. Door storage area isn't big enough to hold anything. Foggy headlights