Used 2008 Chrysler Town and Country Consumer Reviews - 223 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2008 Chrysler Town and Country

View reviews for a specific Town and Country model:

Death Trap
By Austin

2008 Chrysler Town and Country Touring 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

We had a 2008 Town & Country had every option to it. Including Swivel n'Go, and Walter P Chrysler Package. Well Our journey with it was OK. But it started to have issues I mean a lot of issues. Down to the point of it having a poorly made suspension. My families almost death experience was because of Chryslers poor engineering team. The story of this start in March of 2013 when my family and I were on our way to Myrtle Beach, SC for Spring Break. They trip was going fine for the first four hours of our trip but once we got around the Louisville, Kentucky area; we got a really bad shaking in our suspension so we pulled off at the nearest rest area. We checked all the tires to find that they looked perfectly normal and had no bulges in them. So we proceed to drive down the Interstate going about 75 MPH and all of a sudden it felt like the rear axle had fallen off the vehicle. The van goes immediately into a fish tale and luckily didn't flip over because at one point we were completely sideways going down the interstate. After the Van had come to a stop my family completely in utter disbelief get out of the van to find that our wheel had sheered off the wheel hub assembly. After a tow truck was called and the van was taken to the Chrysler dealership we found out that it was caused by a manufacture defect that wasn't able to take the load of six people and luggage; that the stress on the axle was to great. We no longer have this van and no longer feel safe inside a Chrysler product. We now own a 2013 Ford Flex SEL and it has taken us a lot more places with a bigger load with no issues. Anybody reading this review DON'T BUY THIS VAN Especially if you have kids. I recommend looking at the Ford Flex best car we have owned. Learn from our Mistake and don't buy the van. We are lucky to be alive.

BUYER BEWARE!! DON'T BUY!!!
By Angela

2008 Chrysler Town and Country Touring 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Run away as fast as you can from the 2008 Chrysler Town & Country Touring minivan. We purchased this vehicle pre-owned in July of 2013 and we are currently in the month of July 2015. Since we have owned the vehicle, we have had to change the front brakes 3 times and the rear brakes once, as well as, the rotars for the front braking system. We use a 5w-20 Synthetic Blend oil and we are always needing to add at least 2 quarts before the next oil change. The minivan only has approximately 77,7xx miles. Which is still relatively low as far as mileage is concerned on a vehicle. I called the dealership and I was informed that this is a common problem for the 2008 Chrysler minivan. For some reason after it reaches 50K miles, the vehicle is designed to burn more oil; per Technician. (What a funny man, right?) Anyways, since March of 2015 to July 17, 2015, our back rear top brake light bar stopped working and it caused our check engine light to trigger. Of course, according to 2 major, well-known auto parts store that it is a Dealship repair. I was given the estimate of $200-$400 for a replacement part. Next the top radiator hose blew a nice, quarter size hole to the plastic connector piece. We weren't able to replace that piece, because it required the entire assembly to be replaced, which was very close to a $500 repair. I can not forget to mention all the squeaky noises the vehicle has during the winter months. Such as the dvd compartment area rattles and squeaks, something on the the passenger row door squeaks (similar noise to a torn cv boot). The plastic bracket that holds the sunvisor in place, has fallen out, because the screw appears to be stripped. The A/C blower fan was operating loudly. Once again, was informed it was a common problem for this type of vehicle and a $250 repair cost. The day before family vacation in May 2015, the cable for the passenger row door snapped. That was quoted at approximately $700 for THAT repair. Then today, as I was doing errands, the check engine light came on. I had a diagnostic test performed and now I have 2 more issues. 1) The ECM has detected that brake switch 2 is applied while brake switch 1 is open. 2) EGR position sensor rationality closed. Meaning The ECM is detecting EGR flow or movement when it is not expected. Probable cause: Failed EGR Solenoid, Failed EGR position sensor, & Failed EGR valve. Yes, another expensive repair. Estimate is between $200-$400 and we also have 2 separate recall notices, which neither have been repaired. The dealership doesn't know when the parts from the factory will become available and it could take anywhere from 3-5 years before the repairs take place. Unfortunately, this is absolutely the worst vehicle we have ever owned!!! A disheartening factor is I was a previous owner of a brand new 2001 Chrysler Sebring. It was the best vehicle with very few problems. When we decided to purchase the Chrysler minivan, I was elated. I was certain we had made a great choice based on my previous experience. I was so wrong on so many levels. Sad to say, but with relief, we will no longer purchase another Chrysler!! I'm looking forward to a much better, less stressful experience that will not become a money pit witin 2 years.

Chrysler 2008 town and country a lemon
By Marti Baker-Mossman

2008 Chrysler Town and Country Limited 4dr Minivan (4.0L 6cyl 6A)

Driving this van is a bit scary. You never no when it will shut off and you lose your power steering and brakes. The engine lights comes on and stays on. The break lights come on and stay on. The airbag light comes on and stays on. The low traction lights come on when the engine dies. Sometimes it doesn't start for several tries. So far I haven't been rear ended! I have replaced tires, and both sets of breaks. I've had it just over 2 years. I've had 4 recalls so far, can't fix it locally and they will do it one at a time. The gear knob just broke on the inside and I have two kids wanting to drive. Need to get something more reliable!

Kids love all the features. Swivel seats, leather heated seats, DVD, and mp3 capabilities, lighting, stow n go, individual air control and dual electronic door.

Be Careful With Used Purchase
By airsense00

2008 Chrysler Town and Country Touring 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

We like the features of the van such as powered doors, captain seats, DVD players. The kids love the van and it is safe. However I greatly question the quality and reliability. With 70,000 miles on ours it literally eats 1 quart of oil per 1000 miles. No blue smoke, not leaking on floor. The first week we owned it the EGR valve went bad. The brakes are new so haven't replaced them yet in 6 months. Seems to wear the tires pretty quick. Sounds like a wheel bearing is going bad lately. The interior has some cheap spots as the handle for the gear shift fell off as did the sun visor. The gas mileage is averaging 18 mpg which is mix of town and highway. Buy the extended warranty for this one! The transmission started very occasionally not shifting in to 2nd gear so I traded it in.

hunk of junk
By rshelvay

2008 Chrysler Town and Country Touring 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 6A)

Do not buy this van!!!! i bought it in 2010 with 25,000 miles on it and within 300 miles of having it
the transmission died. Chrystler did repair it but i had to pay 500 dollars for it. At 35,000 miles my rear seat did not want to go down for stow and go and is stuck at a half cocked position. not to long after that the other seat is stuck at a half cocked posistion. i have had multiple roof leaks, at sunroof, break problems, rotar problems, tires seem to need replacing to often, i now have a major oil leak, the coolant starting to leak, the window went and got stuck shut, sometimes the heater wont blow on the window, the clock dont work, major delay on the radio turning on and much more