Used 2003 Chrysler Town and Country Consumer Reviews - 108 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Chrysler Town and Country

View reviews for a specific Town and Country model:

Disappointed
By sambrijmom

2003 Chrysler Town and Country LX Family Value Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I was really excited about this vehicle when I first bought. But after 5 years and the money I've sank into I'll never buy another one again. The steering whines when it's cold and the only way to fix it is to spend $400. The gas tank is going to need replaced because the valve that's broken is inside the tank. My mechanic said that for the past 2 weeks he's had a Dodge or Chrysler minivan in with problems. I still like my minivan but it seems like every month I'm in the body shop for something else.

I really enjoy the look of the van and the inside space it provides. The truck space is great for my family of 5.

The quality of the parts. Everytime I get something fixed it's because of how cheaply it was made.

REALLY delighted
By WhoKnowsJack

2003 Chrysler Town and Country LX Family Value Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is my second T&C. The first went 8 years without a repair. This one was fine until this year when I've had a flurry of repairs -- clean air system, trans module, power steering pump and alternator. Still, at 76,000 miles, it's been cheap to own. It's not a city car; in downtown Chicago, I got 11.5 mpg. Here in Tucson, with more open roads, I get 24 mpg when the A/C is off. That's great for a big vehicle with the 3.8 liter engine. But even better is the ride. In mountains, I just gear down to '3' and go up and down smoothly and quietly, even at 80 mph (I had this up to 120 mph on a flat road in Texas). Prefer driving this to my BMW convert (except for top down days, of course).

Smooth engine power. Roomy. Nice ride and good handling for a van. Easy entry and exit. Great gas mileage. Power doors are decadent, but I've come to like them.

Individually selectable transmission gears. Amp or volt meter on dash. Get the towing capacity up to at least 4,000 pounds - 5,000 would be better. The 3.8 engine can easily handle it. Opening windows on back doors. Separate opening for the window on the tailgate.

Bad Van
By Bad Van

2003 Chrysler Town and Country Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This van has been horrible. We bought it slightly used with only 15K miles. Got a great deal because it had depreciated so much from new (wonder why). At 28K miles the starter went out and was replaced by warranty. At 36,800 miles the power steering pump went out and they refused to fix it because the warranty had just expired even though Chrysler issued a service bulletin about it. Since then the AC compressor went out to the tune of nearly $1K. Water pump went out, electric gremlins with the engine management, and now the transmission is slipping. It has just shy of 70K miles on the clock. Gets average of 19mpg and is slow as molasses. Can't wait to get rid of it!

Interior volume and seating capability. Comfortable front seats. Works well with my family of six.

Better reliability. Better gas mileage.

Steering/Front end problems.
By BEK

2003 Chrysler Town and Country LXi Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Rack & pinion failed at 55,000 miles due to bad seals in the pump reservoir cost $800. In my life time I have never replaced this item on any car. One month later I have front shocks and swaybar problem,cost $998 to repair. This is my last American car.

Removable rear seats for extra loading room.

6th mini-van .. and will buy again
By Michael

2003 Chrysler Town and Country LXi Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This is my 6th Chrysler mini-van. We have had one since the day Chrysler introduced min-vans. Really. This one is the same as the rest. Reliable, great on mileage for what it does (got 26 on the highway last week at 65 MPH with a van load of stuff), comfortable. Wish this one had the towing package and self-leveling my 2001 had. Kids are gone now and this is still my choice for most flexible 'car'. full leather seats during the week and a full load of sheet rock or lumber on the weekend. And she never complains. I'd get a newer model but there's nothing wrong with this one so why trade side-ways?

Hate the new body style, go back. Please.