Used 2003 Chrysler Town and Country Consumer Reviews - 109 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Chrysler Town and Country

View reviews for a specific Town and Country model:

What a Lemon
By jerseyraised

2003 Chrysler Town and Country Limited AWD 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the van 9 months ago. Recently a 10amp fuse blew causing the van to shut down. That same night after it was fixed the speedometer quit working. Now the van jerks while I'm driving it and the speedometer flies all the way to 120mph. Mechanic replaced speed sensor, that didn't fix it I've had it to him 3 times he finally told me he doesn't know what's wrong with it and he does not want to work on it anymore. I'm praying it's not the transmission (mechanic does not think it is). It has 118,500 miles on it. I hate this van. The drivers seat sits to high, the power window is getting ready to go I would not wish this van on my worse enemy.

I really can't think of any. Can't even say the radio because all of the stations have static on them. I guess I'd say the DVD player since the kid's love it.

Chrysler should read what people are saying about this van and fix those issues. Seems the transmission and speed sensors are a big problem with them just from what I have been reading.

2003 Limited AWD
By jimj8

2003 Chrysler Town and Country Limited AWD 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this van new in 2003.
Has all the bells and whistles, DVD system, power everything, leather 3.8L engine etc.
It has been a great vehicle for us.
We are just coming up on 200,000 miles and have had very few problems.

We have done the brakes once.
Just replaced the water pump ( for a whole $120!), other than that just put fuel in it and drive.

Fit and finish is still good.
Only hardware problem is the left side power sliding door.
The clutch is out in it and so it is hard to open manually.
It will open under power if you give it a tug.
Leather seats are still perfect and still comfortable.
We have gotten about 19 MPG.

Not thrilled
By spenc618

2003 Chrysler Town and Country LXi Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this van for 3 years now.. new transmission which AAMCO said is very common on this vehicle.
Have that checked before you purchase.
Now it is leaking fluid from underneath and the steering is horrible.. hopefully both symptoms are the same issue.
More to follow on the issue and the price to repair and how common it is.
Mine and most I run into have the hood paint peeling bad.
I wouldn't purchase again.
Would probably go with the Honda if I could have a mulligan.

Comfortable. Storage room. good power.

RELIABILITY, Paint quality

Not that bad
By a

2003 Chrysler Town and Country LX Family Value Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this van in June of 2004. It had some miles on it but I don’t remember how many. It now has almost 170,000 miles on it. Something leaked and ruined the carpet on the front passenger side. The electronic switch in the windows went bad making it stick occasionally – it would decide when it wanted to start working again. It has only left me stranded once, and that was because the battery died without warning and wouldn’t hold a charge. We replaced the battery and it kept on ticking. This van is quite reliable and I never worry about getting stranded. The driver seat and the front passenger seat is not comfortable either.

More comfortable seat for the driver would be very helpful. It would also be helpful if I could adjust the seat up and down instead of just forward and backward.

Lemon
By Brian Sherrets

2003 Chrysler Town and Country LX Family Value Fwd 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

My wife and I purchased our Chrysler Town and Country new off of the floor. Within weeks we had it in the dealer for repairs, and then continued to take it in monthly for one thing or another. We are experiencing a shock and sway bar problem, along with a fuel pump issue that makes very noticeable noise. We have taken the vehicle in for the shocks and sway bar to be told that there is nothing wrong. The fuel pump issue will cost us close to $800.00 - $1000.00. We travel with kids for different sporting events and many parents like the space and are impressed with the availability to remove seats for more room but I am honest with them when I tell them that they would end up with a lemon.

Seating, space, comfort..