Used 2002 Chrysler Sebring Consumer Reviews - 179 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Chrysler Sebring

View reviews for a specific Sebring model:

USD 10,000+ in repair and counting
By old timer

2002 Chrysler Sebring LXi 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

46,000 Miles, 1 owner. I have replaced: front end (2X, no grease fittings), 2 rear struts, cat converter, both passenger & driver front door panels, air bag electronics, AC compressor (2X), power door locks (2X), trunk pneumatic, wiper motors, headlamps (4X). I repainted to cover skin cancer (Chrysler admitted paint issue). Engine lite comes on and engine stalls intermittently w/o cause. Foam in pass compartment deteriorates and blows black plastic over everything. Plastic trim around doors brittle, cracking. Total out-of-pocket cost for these repairs to date: $10,700 [$4000 this year so far]. Chrysler admits all of these are their fault but none are part of any recall.

None

Let Chrysler go bankrupt just like my dealer did!

Love my car
By BARBARA

2002 Chrysler Sebring Limited 2dr Convertible (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

Had this car for 8 years and it now has 158,000 miles. Ran fine until now. I guess it's because of old age/mileage. Now I'm having problems with antifreeze leaking and sometime overheating. I replaced the water pump and thermostat and thermostat housing. All this in a year's time. Still having overheating and antifreeze leaking issues. I hope it can be fixed but it is now starting to nickle and dime me. I guess I can't complain since it never gave me a problem until 2007. But hey, look at my mileage. I love this car and enjoyed it. I just hate to part with it.

Good Car
By Dale

2002 Chrysler Sebring LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

After reading about the 2.7 V-6 issues I ran motor flush through the engine and replaced the oil with full synthetic. Purchased in a 5 qt container, the price isn't much more than if I purchased standard oil. The car is quiet, very comfortable to drive, handles curves far better than Chevy Malibu, and gets good fuel mileage. I'd recommend this car to anyone looking.

Body style, location of heat/air condition controls, drive and ride quality.

Door hinges/guides, if the same style of guides are still being used today, upgrade to better quality, these tend to rust or have parts that snap, which make the doors creak loudly upon opening and closing. Also, needs better braking performance. Other than that, it's a good car.

Very Happy after 8 years
By Joanie

2002 Chrysler Sebring LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I really lucked out with this car. I got it for a wonderful price and nothing major has gone wrong with it at all. I have been so happy with this car. I don't know if I just got really lucky but it has out performed my previous 3 Mazdas.. I couldn't continue with the Mazdas because they got too pricey for me at the time so I went American and boy am I happy I did. Only had to do basic maintenance- brake pads- rotors - new tires etc. But nothing else! I hope a I have as good luck with my next purchase.

I like the dashboard, I like the way it handles, like the space, good trunk size, like that the back seats go down

Visibility- just has a bad blind spot using rear side view mirrors. (That was listed in review when I bought it, too)

Dangerous In Winter!
By mrs.fonz

2002 Chrysler Sebring LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Have very cold winters here. Bought with less than 20,000 miles on it. Resistor in blower motor broke, REPEATEDLY! Had persistent front axle problems! Once original brakes needed replacement, they were never right. Wiper motor died. Transmission troubles. ALL window motors quit working! Once the extended service warranty ran out, all these were VERY expensive to fix! Brake pedal FROZEN at cold temps! Apparently I'm the only one who had this problem? We don't have a garage. Took it back to the dealer over & over. They couldn't fix it! This car was supposed to go with my daughter when she went away to a school farther north. She ended up with the "new" car as I didn't trust this one!

A fun car to drive! Excellent pick- up! Looks good. Comfy. Loved the back seat fold-up for extra cargo space! Good gas mileage.

Fix overall mechanical flaws, esp. those DANGEROUS brakes!