Used 2002 Chrysler Sebring Sedan Consumer Reviews - 81 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Chrysler Sebring Sedan

View reviews for a specific Sebring model:

2 Transmissions Later
By Chris

2002 Chrysler Sebring Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car from a used car dealership and had to replace the transmission after 6 months and at less than 60,000 miles. This car must have been in an accident because I was replacing wheel bearings and front tie rod ends frequently (bearings once/yr). When I sold it the car had coolant leaking into the engine, transmission fluid leaking, and the transmission was dying for the second time. I drove a lot of miles on it, but always had the regular maintenance performed. Chrysler's are known for their transmission issues and front end problems, which is exactly what I had. I will never buy a Chrysler again.

pretty comfortable seats, decent power for 4 cyl

transmissions that last more than 60,000 miles

Love my car!
By Sylvia

2002 Chrysler Sebring Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased the car brand new. It drives extremely well. Had to replace back struts and battery after 8 years of driving. Love the car. My only complaint is the ceiling is a little low for the taller people in my family. I'd purchase the same care again, no problem.

Good gas mileage, styling and color (sapphire blue)

A little more head room.

Preventive Maintenance when buying used.
By Dale

2002 Chrysler Sebring Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car with 58,315 miles on the 2.7 V-6 engine. Knowing the issues associated with this engine, I performed a motor flush, switched to full synthetic motor oil, and replaced the PCV valve. Also, I had the transmission flushed, cooling system flushed, and tune up performed. This is a good, reliable car and solid for being 8 years old. Not knowing how the previous owner cared for the vehicle, I had all that preventive maintenance done. I average about 27 mpg with my Sebring and for the most part, I'm satisfied.

Access to all knobs/handles and they're clearly easy to understand. Smooth ride, great stereo system.

Braking could be better, that should be noted for the 2011 model.

USD 10,000+ in repair and counting
By old timer

2002 Chrysler Sebring Sedan LXi 4dr Sedan (2.7L 6cyl 4A)

46,000 Miles, 1 owner. I have replaced: front end (2X, no grease fittings), 2 rear struts, cat converter, both passenger & driver front door panels, air bag electronics, AC compressor (2X), power door locks (2X), trunk pneumatic, wiper motors, headlamps (4X). I repainted to cover skin cancer (Chrysler admitted paint issue). Engine lite comes on and engine stalls intermittently w/o cause. Foam in pass compartment deteriorates and blows black plastic over everything. Plastic trim around doors brittle, cracking. Total out-of-pocket cost for these repairs to date: $10,700 [$4000 this year so far]. Chrysler admits all of these are their fault but none are part of any recall.

None

Let Chrysler go bankrupt just like my dealer did!

Good Car
By Dale

2002 Chrysler Sebring Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

After reading about the 2.7 V-6 issues I ran motor flush through the engine and replaced the oil with full synthetic. Purchased in a 5 qt container, the price isn't much more than if I purchased standard oil. The car is quiet, very comfortable to drive, handles curves far better than Chevy Malibu, and gets good fuel mileage. I'd recommend this car to anyone looking.

Body style, location of heat/air condition controls, drive and ride quality.

Door hinges/guides, if the same style of guides are still being used today, upgrade to better quality, these tend to rust or have parts that snap, which make the doors creak loudly upon opening and closing. Also, needs better braking performance. Other than that, it's a good car.