Used 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Consumer Reviews - 152 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser

View reviews for a specific PT Cruiser model:

Reliable car over the long haul
By mikeru669

2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We purchased our 2006 Cruiser with 13K miles on it 66 months ago, we now have 115K miles, we traveled all over the country on all kinds of roads. The Cruiser has been one of the most reliable cars we have owned. Only recurring problem, camshaft positioning sensor replaced twice since car went over 80K. Takes about 15 minutes to replace. Had a Neon prior which the Cruiser is based on. The Neon was one of the 2 or 3 worse cars we ever owned.

Versatility, Reliabaility

wow!!!!! are pt is a Great ride.
By jerry185

2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We love are
2006 pt Cruser MPG in town We get 27 and on the open road we get 33. if you want better MPG. DON'T RUN gas with ethinal. We only got 22 in town and 26 out of town.

177,000 Miles Later
By bacon777

2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2007 as a used car and got my moneys worth.
I just passed the 177,000 mark and have had no serious issues but decided to trade it in after I started having my first mechanical problems.
The thermostat went bad and then the heater core followed so instead of paying 800 to fix it, I decided it was time to trade it in, but 177,000 miles without any mechanical issues is impressive.
Drives nice, was reliable, and fairly inexpensive but parts can be constly.
I was told because it uses Mercedes parts as Mercedes owned Chrysler.
Also, you have to deal with the ridicule of driving a PT Cruiser but if you're an older lady, you shouldn't have that problem

The interior design is really nice and mine was reliable though some have not been as luck as me.

Wheel bearings tended to go back rather quickly and unfortunately the exterior design is not the best looking and has become a symbol of "not cool." The mileage could improve given the size of the car.

Wish I knew how expensive it would be to repair
By sim40son

2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car since 2007, it was fine for the 1st year but I had to put brakes on a fairly new car.
Have to buy new tires all the time it wears them out, new brakes every year because of the ceramic brake pads bad design.
wiring harness went and something else that was not suppose to ever go bad, chrysler paid for that.
I have had to put new wheel bearings on, when the timing belt brakes it takes out the whole housing expensive, even a tune up is outrageous.
I am reviewing cars this time.
I like my PT cruiser, but I do not like the huge expense of repairs, chrysler parts are expensive.
My mechanic told me that chylsers are very expensive to repair.
wish I new ahead of time.

well they stopped making them.....

pt loser
By wintkel

2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

dealer commited fraud, forged papers, car only got 18 mpg. poor service from chrysler and dealer, could not get warranty work done as parts not available, in the 2 years owned car windows never worked. chrysler advertised a 3 day test drive, wrong, false advertising, don't tell you if you have a trade in that does not apply. dealer called pt cruiser american, wrong, made in Mexico. dealer sold us extended warranty, why do you need this on a 39 month lease when the warranty from chrysler is 36 month, more dealer fraud.

design

be honest, tell customers that car is not made in america. don't let dealers forge customers signatures to papers after they find out the advertising is false. tell customers that if they want an american made car to buy a toyota, nissan or honda, they are made in america.