2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Consumer Review: The PT Cruiser Blues

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser - Consumer Review

Touring Convertible (2.4L 4-cyl. Turbo 4-speed Automatic)

The PT Cruiser Blues
By garcande on

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I recently purchased a beautiful 05 Cruiser Touring Convertible with only 26,000 one owner miles. I bought it from the local Lexus dealer who said it was a trade in. It looks immaculate and garage kept. I had driven about 1000 miles when the electric top riser went out. I took it to my mechanic, he tinkered around with it, but said it wasn't his area of expertise and he was going on vacation. The next day the air conditioner went out. I took it to another mechanic and it was the compressor, of course, and cost $1200 to fix. By contrast, the air on my 96 VW just went at 15K miles! And, I still haven't fixed the top. To be continued...Update to 2015. Car ran fine for a while, ended up selling it. Guy who bought it called me a week or so later and told me the engine died and all the warning lights went on. This Cruiser is a lemon. Maybe some of them were good, but not this one. Oddly enough Fiat is assembling the Fiats that are sold to the US market in the same plant in Toluca, Mexico. I've heard they are riddled with problems, too!

• Repair frequency
  • Engine
  • Fuel economy
  • Resale value

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review