Used 2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Consumer Reviews - 171 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific PT Cruiser model:

My college daughters PT cruiser
By jlsh

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

For what we have spent fixing this car in the past 3 years, we could have purchased a better vehicle. The physical shape of the car is great and it has many extras but, the garage where we have repairs made knows my daughter's voice when she call!. We just spent 1500 dollars on repairs this winter and today she called and her steering wheel is locked up and won't turn.

Still like the car.
By Shotgun

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car used in 2005 at about 56,000 miles. Have thoroughly enjoyed the car. Haven't had many problems, but when I did, I was appalled at the repair price, and the unusual failing of parts that normally don't fail. In 2006 the transmission failed. Cost $3,250 for a rebuilt one. Since then, the sunroof has jumped the track and screwed up the linkage. No 'repair parts' are available from Chrysler. Cost $1,200 for a new one. Then the starter when out. Cost $500 to fix. It's time now for the timing belt replacement (95K miles)& dealer quoted about $1000 to replace it (includes new water pump). Transmission is acting up again but may be low fluid problem. I just topped it up & so far ok.

The 'woodie' package & this car besides being a 'Limited' has about every option Chrysler offered including the $600 optionl performance brake pkg which then includes 'traction control' & 'antilock brakes'. At 95K, i'm still on the original brakes.

The 'performance brake' package should be standard equipment. I've owned Porsches, Jaguar and Mercedes. The brakes on the Cruiser equal all of them. I put on a set of Michelin's best tires which are guaranteed not to wear out for 90,000 miles & replaced the orig battery with Chrysler's best, 7 yr.

Love it but...Frustrating!
By Love it but....

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Wanted one the minute I saw it! The day I bought it,master brake cylinder out in busy traffic, didn't get hit!Told by my son-in-law NOT to buy one because of the hood design,little space available to work in.Didn't listen! First:1/2 shaft replaced,front brakes next,Nov.08.Then it began over- heating,June 2009,tried everything possible to fix.Ok now,don't know WHY OR how?Motor mounts broke,and shook bolts loose on everything,starter quit but found out the bolts were loose on it.Running after 3 week search but engine light won't go off or stop blinking.Detected #2 plug misfiring,changed wires/plugs & 2 batteries.Always had chassis noises.Fan cover hits fan, rubber stays broken,can't find any

Love the look of the car,inside is very roomy,seats comfortable,nice stereo w/great features on it,easy to drive and handle,great heater and AC.Color:Plum Crazy..love it!*Goes with my TAZ seat covers!*

(Wider hood design,no room to work),better gas mileage,(gets 18/24now appx),FIX problems with over-heating and electrical..windows rolled down(on their own?),while raining!Over-heating problems hard to detect and fix.Battery/fuses under filter,hard to get to!Not good driving on ice! Must give it up

Love this car!!
By CrUiZeR

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned a 2002 PT for almost 4 years. Bought with 60,000 miles, now have just over 100,000. Have had VERY few issues with this car. I never head out in the morning with the fear that the car won't start or get me where I'm going. Runs great and gets some good speed on the freeway. Not everyone's cup of tea, but the car is beautiful, especially with a spoiler, chrome accents, and aftermarket mags. Interior is well designed and comfortable. Would recommend this car to anyone looking for a nice family car. Now I'm just looking for something more sporty.

Chrome accents, comfortable seats, manual transmission is a blast.

Better gas mileage, much more HP and torque.

Car from HELL
By Charrissa

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I HATE this car. I can not wait to get rid of it. My main computer went out a few months after I bought it which cost me $3000 to fix. Few months later my fog lights wouldn't turn off, which killed my battery stranding me many times. I had to remove the fuse that controls it. Currently my car makes a horrible noise (similar to a cats fighting) only when I turn to the right. It also makes horrible sounds when I first turn it on and drive. Turning radius stinks and so does the gas. I will NEVER EVER buy a Chrysler again.

Pretty comfortable inside. Gotta admit it.

Lifetime warranty covering all repairs.