Used 1999 Chrysler 300M Consumer Reviews - 104 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Chrysler 300M

Base 3.5L V6 4-speed Automatic - (104 reviews )

A great car except for a few nuisances
By Hans Gruber

1999 Chrysler 300M 4dr Sedan

Three perpetual problems: Brakes, front end alignment, and AC. Every year, I pay a different mechanic to take a shot at fixing these things. For a few months each year when everything works correctly, this is a fantastic car. The rest of the time, it's an OK car that looks great and provides transportation. Mileage (21 mpg combined) is quite good for the size/weight/power of this car. Engine and transmission have been rock solid.

Looks great, even after 160k miles. Powerful engine. Comfortable, especially on long trips.

Need to redesign the brakes, front end, and AC. If I could find a way to get it effectively repaired (so as not to have the same problems over and over again), I would keep this car forever!

Big Disappointment
By Brajules

1999 Chrysler 300M 4dr Sedan

Engine blew at 135,000 miles stranding my teenage son and his friends on the side of the road at night. We had already replaced 2 rims, tie rods, alternator, two window motors, heated seats all before 100,000. Fixed the roll back when in park issue that at the time Chysler denied a problem and then 9 months later, surprise! A recall of which even then Chrysler refused to pay for even though we sent them proof! The dash lights started flickering shortly before the engine blew! We had a Chrysler Town and Country that was in the shop 27 times in the first 7 months that Chrysler finally agreed to trade in for this car. I have two relatives that work for Chrysler and they drive Chevy's!

Build a more reliable car and start standing by your product.

I should have known better...
By TW

1999 Chrysler 300M 4dr Sedan

I've been hesitant at buying a Chrysler ever since the transmission problems of the 80's. This car caught my eye and made me forget about the way Chrysler didn't stand behind their product in the past. My two 7 inch long cracks in the dash around the airbag knocked me back to reality. Chrysler doesn't care and says that it's "environmental". Since I can't trade the car like this and it will cost over $1000 to fix it, this car has now become my official beater. Unfortunately, the internal dash lights are now starting to flicker and the transmission is sporadically jerking, so I don't think my beater is going to last much longer.

-Solid engine -Ride comfort -Space

-Interior quality, especially the dash! -Stand by your product. It's obvious that you were using (or still using?) a manufacturer who was producing a poor product. Do the right thing and your customers will be loyal. Ask Toyota.

mounding problems
By vegastyle

1999 Chrysler 300M 4dr Sedan

one month after purchasing the car - the gas pedal fell to the floor with no movement so i just sat there finally towed it was covered under warranty. computer malfunctions covered warranty. 63,000... 3000 passed the warranty transmission goes, two windows stop working then a short time later rack pinion needed replaced some other rod needed replacing... another short time later two rims needed replacing two fans went so car over heated...windshield cracked from having the heat on... battery connectors corroded.. alternator went... i used all 700 words allowed to complain about this car... every time i get into it i wonder what will be next... as soon as i can a new car is next.

the engine hasn't died yet and the heated seats still work

trash the car and start over....

I'll miss this car
By wythany

1999 Chrysler 300M 4dr Sedan

I've had my 300M for almost 7 years, the longest I've ever kept a car. (I bought my first in 1968.) I had always driven small foreign coupes before this car, but I fell in love with the styling and it was time for a "grown- up" car. I didn't expect to like driving such a big vehicle, but the engine has so much power I've enjoyed every minute behind the wheel. I've also loved all the cargo and passenger space. It has been quite reliable, though now, at 71,000 mi., I'm beginning to have electrical problems. And I've decided I need AWD, so I'm getting ready to trade in my M. I will miss it, no matter what replaces it. And it will always rank right up there with my very favorite cars.

Heated seats! Nice leather on seats. Computer display includes Distance to Empty, current and overall MPG (21!), outside temp. Huge trunk and pass- through via split rear seats. Great value for the price.

I wish AWD had been an option. I'd probably keep the car, as old as it now is.