Used 2013 Chevrolet Volt Base Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 60 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2013 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback

Base 0-cyl. Hybrid 1-speed Direct Drive - (60 reviews )

Great car poor dealership experience
By Tom Spicer

2013 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Love the car. Fun to drive. Zippy. Haven't put any gas in it since I bought it 3 weeks ago. Doesn't stink up the garage like my wife's car when I start it. Usually recharges fully on 110 Volt circuit overnight. The bad. 2 weeks after getting the car the "service airbag" light came in. Took it to the Chevy dealership which was a super poor customer service experience and they told me that the passenger presence system had failed and to fix it would cost $775. No thank you. I will investigate other ways to fix it. The infotainment center is a nightmare and the stock sound system is pathetic. You can forget about finding or changing anything below the screen. Good luck trying to change the radio to usb too. For an almost $40 K new MSRP, they could have put some $12 speakers in instead of $2 ones. Perhaps the GM engineers should actually go out and listen to some music? Same thing for the seats. No lumbar support in a car of this value???? Come on. How long had GM made car seats? Have they learned anything??? No power drivers side seat adjustments either. Guess they skimped to save money. Too bad.

Impossible
By Gene

2013 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

It is impossible to update the navigation system on this vehicle. I can buy an update for a 2012 and a 2014, but GM hasn't seen fit to update the 2013. I am old enough to have owned a Chevy Vega and I vowed never to own a GM auto again but my wife wanted an electric car.

36,000 End of Lease Report
By Pete

2013 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Overall, a really nice car, one of the best I ever drove. When you can charge at home and have a work commute less than 40 miles, you can go months without buying gas. Having a car pool lane sticker is great too. We had to move and can't charge at home anymore and my work makes you pay to charge at 3x the rate I was able to charge at home. It is actually cheaper to run the car in ICE mode and use gas. That is why I'm not choosing to purchase it or buy another EV car. In EV mode, the instant torque was a blast and is probably the thing I miss the most. The car handled well and was comfortable for long trips. Not sure why we almost never see a Volt on the open road. It gets almost 40 mpg on the highway and can almost go 400 miles on a single tank if I keep it around 65 mph. The trunk space is fine for two people but, with the seats folded down, you can carry a decent amount. I've been driving purely in ICE mode for the past year and a half and have been averaging about 33 to 35 mpg. The things I won't miss are: only two seats in the back, the front A pillars that reduce visibility, rear visibility not so great either, weak climate control system that drains the battery if you are try to run it full blast, lack of a real cargo cover, rear windshield is like a sunroof so the car can get hot, no spare tire, not so intuitive controls on center console, range-extending ICE engine is really loud, and quirky bluetooth and usb audio functionality.

Smoooth
By BurritoJ

2013 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Best car I've ever owned. First electric vehicle and I will not go back to a gas engine. Smooth linear acceleration and barely a whisper of noise. Good torque makes it peppy to drive and fairly agile for its weight. Saves me $150 on gas every month during a 30 mile commute. Saves me $100 a year in oil changes. More importantly saves me the time and hassle of going to the gas station or oil change shop. Better than a lot of cars in its class in the snow because of its weight. Leather suede interior is luxury and durable, not like my wife's junk Prius with the plastic falling off the doors. Not to mention the sound insulation on the volt is waaay better than the prius (like the difference in driving with your windows down or up on the highway). Only trouble in 3 years of owning it was covered under a recall for bubbles in the battery coolant, and cost me nothing.

Volt Sucks Never buy
By Sravan

2013 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I had 2013 Chevy volt leased from Mark Christopher Auto Center in Ontario, CA for 39 months 48,750 miles. I'm at 46,600 miles all of sudden got message Engine Heating up turn off AC, followed by engine oil life 0%, turnoff engine and change the oil immediately with check engine light. Had got it towed with AAA & took it for oil change. Even after oil change when I switch to engine keep getting message engine heating up turnoff the car. I took it to the dealer but he says warranty for the car is either 3 years or 36K miles only on Bumper to Bumper. Even the the powertrain has warranty for 5 years/100K dealer says Hose is broken and powertrain is damaged so cannot cover it under warranty. If you look at onStar reports it's well managed car and always got serviced from dealer also has only 18K on powertrain. Not sure how would Hose even break or powertrain fail on such low mileage. Now the dealer asks $1400 authorization to bring down the powertrain and repair might go anywhere upto $6000 on their finding. This sucks cause you buy $40,000 car that can only run 36K miles without issues and will end up paying thousands of dollars more than what you saved on gas.Also look at depreciation value on this car is valued $10,000 on this mileage in good condition.

I had taken this upto manufacturer but still no proper response so left out with sharing my experience in social media so atleast few people that read can think before they buy these kind of cars in market. Apart from the cars they sell you can also look at the kind of service you get buying such cars from them.