Used 2012 Chevrolet Volt Consumer Reviews - 83 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2012 Chevrolet Volt

Base Hybrid 1-speed Direct Drive - (83 reviews )

Best car ever owned
By cody1943

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

7 weeks, 1458 miles, 2/10s of a gallon of gas and $26.41 elect cost.
If you drive less than 50 miles a day, wow what a great car. Winter may prove to be a challenge.
Fun, fast and cheap to drive.
Never in my life time did I think I would see a car that got over 100 + miles per gallon.
Chevy hit a home run with this car.
Did I mention FUN.
Its expensive, but what other car can you get some of your money back buy not stopping at the gas station 4-6 times a month at 50 to 60 bucks a time.

Center monitor, digital speedometer, leather, smooth transmission with no delays. Volt stats.com, 3 years onstar, xm radio. 0 % financing, now .09%.

Make 5 passengerr.

happy volt owner
By solarvolt

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Writing this review after 5 months of volt ownership. I was waiting to buy a plug in hybrid/EV and researched all available models like the Leaf, Focus electric, C-max, prius etc. After evaluating the pure EV's like Leaf, Focus etc., I decided that the Volt range of 40 miles per full charge satisfied my daily commuter needs. I had not owned an American car for about 20 years now and was skeptical of the quality. But the rave reviews from Volt owners convinced me to test drive one. It was love at first drive. I was impressed with the way an electric car drives and how solid this car felt. The transition to gas when electric runs out is seamless and
have to look at the gauges to realize.

The optional Bose sound system is excellent. The bass produced is the best I have heard in a car stereo and I am an audiophile. The ride is quiet, comfortable and smooth. I am averaging 38-40 miles on a full electric charge even in 100 degree Texas heat. During spring, I could get over 40 miles without the a/c turned on. I have not had to fill up the tank in 4 months and I will never fill up the tank again unless I am going on a long trip because I am having a hard time using up the gas since I prefer driving on electric charge. I really like the feedback I get from the gauges like the optimum acceleration and braking to conserve energy.

Adjustable power seats for driver at least, even though I have found good driving position manually. More range like 60-80 miles on electric will be good but not necessary for most folks commute. Sunroof would also be nice.

RE-VOLT
By revolt

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Being an auto enthusiast and race driver, I have one basic safety criteria for a car beyond the standard crash testing.
This is collision avoidance and includes: handling, breaking, and acceleration.
The Volt exceeds these needs.

After looking at the available hybrids last year, my wife purchase a Volt.
6500 miles later and averaging over 250mpg, the car is great!
She loves the car, averages 38mi/chg, has numerous places to plug-in on her daily routine and rarely uses gas.

When I replaced my vehicle, I looked at what was available and purchased our second Volt.
1500 mi later, I have only used 3.1gal of gas, and average 42mi/chg

240V charger is a must have for multiple trips.

I always drive in "L" as it maximizes the regen breaking and makes the performance more like a manual transmition than an automatic. Lift off the accellerator and the car slows down. Net result especially in traffic, is that battery charge is extended and breaking is minimized, making the cost to own even better - less gas, less break maintance.

There are a few blind spots - driver side front pillar (must be cautious of pedestrians) and driver rear quarter (lane changes) but these are typical of the aerodynamic styling. The switches are a bit annoying at first (I rest my thumb on the switch panel in order to accurately pick the options on the center display and usually end up hitting the driver seat heaters). Tall glasses or bottles in the cup holder can get in the way. Power seats with lumbar support would have been a nice feature or option. A CD with engine noises - to play when the kid in the rice burner next to you wants to race :-)

First 1,000 Miles in the Volt
By mn_volt

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

After test driving pretty much every comparable hybrid, we traded in our Audi TT Roadster for the 2012 Chevy Volt.
After the first 1,000 miles, we both love driving this car!!
We were hesitant for a couple of reasons:
the price tag was much higher than the hybrids we test drove (including the fully loaded versions of the Lexus CT200h, Prius, and Hyundai Sonata Hybrid); and, we were leary of the "technology" differences of this EV/gas car to that of the traditional hybrid.
However, we are way beyond any of those potential buyer remorse feelings...this car is fun to drive, performs really well, and we didn't neccessarily give up any major creature comforts from our loaded Audi TT.

- $7,500 tax rebate, since this qualifies as an EV car bought within the first 200,000 cars sold and we qualify per income tax. - Almost 125mpg over the first 1,000 miles. I have a 46 mile commute (roundtrip), so I can usually get to work and back on only electric. However, with the heat lately, I flip over to gas with around 3 miles to home. - Acceleration and performance - Ample amounts of technical features make it fun to drive - Made in the USA!! I do despise that GM needed a gov't bailout, but it is nice to see this technology being developed and sold by a US manufacturer...at least by buying this car, I can hope that GM can pay back the taxpayers quicker, right? ;-)

- Scattered center console of sensatouch controllers. Could be a bit more organized and clearly segmented out. I still have to search around for controls. - Seats seem kind of "hot"; however, this might be a good thing in the MN winters. - Sunroof / moonroof would be nice (was told that a custom sunroof / moonroof may not be possible given the wiring that runs through the roof back to the battery. - Electric seats. Was told that electric seats were not an option by design in order to keep the overall car weight low - Suspension seems a bit rigid or heavy/hard. Can't tell if that's a result of lighter suspension in order to reduce overall weight of the car.

Why the Volt makes sense for me
By palmbeachcpa

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I traded my 2010 Mazda 3 in for a 2012 Chevy Volt and couldn't be happier. I drive 14 miles each way to work so I can go the entire week without using gas. Had it for a month and averaging 105 mpg, and that includes two 150 mile trips to Miami.
I was going to get a newer 2012 Mazda 3 but after doing some analysis, I figured that I would save $4K over five years by getting the Volt. How you may ask? Simple, I am eligible for a $7500 tax credit and I save $200/ mo on gas. So if you do the math, the Volt costs $8K more than the Mazda3 after the tax credit, but will save $12K in gas over 5 years. And that is taking into account increased electric, and an occational fill up in the Volt. Sweet!

Drive system, appearance, handling, leather seats, 3 years of Onstar included.

The center stack needs to be simplified, rear seating is tight, nice to have a sunroof.