Used 2012 Chevrolet Volt Consumer Reviews - 87 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2012 Chevrolet Volt

Base 0-cyl. Hybrid 1-speed Direct Drive - (87 reviews )

Love Electric Powered, BUT BEWARE!
By ns2935

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

The Volt I purchased was a left over 2012 model I purchased Aug 2013 with 600 miles on it. The car's exterior and motor was a mess. It took the dealership some six days to clean the vehicle to new looking. I drove the car for additional 18 months prior to trading it in for a Cadillac SRX. I had taken the car to various dealers of GM, Mitsubishi, Subaru. The dealers all expressed concern on taking the Volt in on trade and that concerned me even more and finalized my reasoning for getting rid of the Volt. Just too much unknown on this vehicle for us consumers. Cadillac dealer who took the Volt in trade doubts they will resale on their lot and will send to auto auction to get rid of it. This vehicle is good idea, but the price and quality do not match. Ride is terrible and the hatchback sounds like it can pop the hatch window out if you drive with rear windows opened. The battery is the weak link of the vehicle. Warm temps you get 40 miles per charge. The colder it gets the lower the battery range. Cold weather the driving distance on the battery drops to 16 miles per charge. Combination of cold battery and running electric heater really pulls the battery charge down.

The best Car we have ever owned
By lock11

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

We just retired. The key to a successful retirement was to control our expenses. I decided to invest in some Green solutions. First we installed a Solar Array on our roof. Then I researched electric Cars. The only one that answered the question "What happens when I run out of Juice?" was the Volt. I paid 20, thousand for a 2012 with 20 thousand miles. It was loaded. I got a Tax credit of $7500. so net out the door was $12,500 not a bad price. WE charge it and it goes, no problems and it is the most dependable car ever. So far it has cost me an additional $O to operate.Update: After three years, It has only gotten better. No maintenance and no problems.

Can't wait to Drive it
By breggers

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I bought this 2012 model off lease at 17500 mi, and have had it for 1000 miles. So far I have used 6.3 gallons of gas total, that is no exaggeration.

I am excited to get in this car and drive it every day. It drives like a dream, completely silent except for the top notch sound system on which I am playing XM jazz. In the Wisconsin spring, when no climate control is needed, I am getting 43 miles on a charge, which easily handles my 24 mile round trip commute.

I take care of this thing like it's a Maserati, I always have a microfiber in my hand.

I always chuckle at all the Priuses I pass struggling to get 55 mpg, burning gas with every mile.

Update 05/16: Still love the car. I've burned a total of 30 gals of fuel and driven 9000 miles. Almost no maintenance costs. Climate control and sound system are awesome. I love this car.

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By mcgoody

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Bought this car brand new on New Year's Eve 2012. After 4 years of ownership I am nothing but impressed. I've owned many different makes and models and this by far is the best vehicle I've ever owned. Service has been minimal; oil changes and tire rotations. I'm over 6 feet tall and have no issue in the driver's seat. Those behind me are snug, but it's doable. Car is designed well, solid inside and out, and is extremely reliable. Being in the mtns I was concerned for weather. No problem. The centered weight of the car makes it phenomenal in snow and great on ice. A great vehicle, and a steal at the pre-owned price.

Leased for 2 years. Loved every minute.
By cargirl88

2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I jumped on a 24-month lease deal that my Chevy dealer was offering to promote this car. I'm coming up on my 30k mi limit and will be turning the Volt in come May. I will miss it.

At the end of those 30k, I will have averaged about 110mpg - saving me around $2500 in gas alone from my previous car's 28mpg average (VW Jetta). This was about 7 months' worth of payments ;) I don't know of any other car that can offer this kind of gas savings.

I didn't buy because the concept is so new (and expensive), but for the 2 years I had it, it was a pleasure. In a few years, after consistent production and refining, I will most definitely consider buying.

Unbelievably quiet. It's really something to drive it on EV power down a quiet road. A very cool experience. Accelerates flawlessly. 0-60mph in about 8.5 seconds - not bad for a "lame" hybrid ;) Just plain fun to drive Great exterior styling. My Volt got more looks that any sports car. It's something of a car unicorn - everyone has heard of it but no one has actually seen one. A great conversation starter. Tight turning. It will park and fit anywhere. Surprisingly great in snow! Due to the huge battery in the center, weight is distributed evenly and makes for a safe drive on slick roads. The "power-flow" visual - understanding exactly how much energy you're using in real-time.

The only problem I ever had was with the charging port failing at around 18k, but it was under warranty and fixed by the dealer with no question. The heater is very slow to warm up when on EV power only. The center console layout is busy and pretty confusing. Lots of unnecessary buttons. It's obvious that GM spent the majority of the Volt's efforts on the EV capability and not the interior design. Seats are rather stiff and plastic-feeling.