Used 2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 86 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback

Base 0-cyl. Hybrid 1-speed Direct Drive - (86 reviews )

Beware as they age....
By S. Moore

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

what started out as a love affair has turned into a headache/nightmare. My volt started out great but as it has aged it seems to be heading into the service dept more and more for repairs. Chevy has covered all of these repairs under warranty even though my car is well past the 3yr/36k mile point without a fight which leads me to believe that I am not the only owner experiencing these sort of problems. When I called to complain about the more and more frequent service dept visits, GM CS told me I really don have anything about as they have covered all the repairs even though my car is long out of warranty. While I appreciate that, I really don like that the service dept at my local dealership know me by sight.
I really hate that I have fallen out of love with it, handles well, incredible acceleration, quiet and awesome gas mileage....well over 500mpg. Down side is repeated service visits and a lot of time in a loaner car as they fix mine. Really wonder what the long term will bring.

Started off as the best car, has morphed into a le
By Dave Thompson

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Beware, mine has been in for service 17 times in the three years, 9 trips for issues with the charging system/battery alone. Started off as a reliable car, but as we have passed the 50k mark it has broken down 4 times in the past 5 months. Two of those times it had to be towed to the dealer. Thankfully I have raised enough of a stink that GM has been covering the cost if these frequent repairs. No way should a vehicle w 52k miles on in and 3 years old be in the repair shop multiple times for the same issues. Great idea for a car, but wait til the bugs are worked out to buy. My neighbor has a volt w similar miles on it and has even worse luck than I have. Worse part is I looked to trade in in and was offered 10k by numerous dealers, nothing like a 75% depreciation in 3 yrs .....and the car is in show room condition. Unless GM buys it back, it looks like I'm stuck w the car

Smoother, quieter, torque-ier edition
By Maggie B.

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

**Update:
Once one has driven a quiet electric or hybrid vehicle it's easy and fast to forget engine noise. Recently I had to rent a late model Ford Focus. The seats were so much harder than in the Volt and the seat doesn't rise as much. There is no option to drive in Sport+low gear as is preferred amongst most Volt owners (who participate in the forums). The Volt in comparison drives like a floating vehicle from the smooth electric motor and still allows road sensitivity, so you feel the texture and still feel connected (one major plus btw). The console and dash are also so smooth and flat allowing a much better view from the driver's seat. I've noticed there is a price point in which the dash goes from flat vertical and narrow to smooth and horizontal. The Volt offers that for a lot less than other brands. Testing a Volt one would need to rent it or have it for more than a week to get a true sense of it's ride and handling. Driving in Normal and D is still numb, the visibility is still an issue but the overall smoothness, quietness and torque are outweighing the rest. Add to that, we fill up the tank only once every few months by charging often, and limiting errands to weekends.
---
Having previously owned a second gen Prius, a 2006 Ford Fusion, I got to feel very different rides and experience very different levels of sorrow at the gas station. On the one hand, the Volt will get most folks super far on the just electric mode, but on the other the ride is still hybrid and numb. The efficiency drops when I'm in standard city or suburban stop and go traffic, accelerating to 45 on most roads is fine until I have to stop and do it again literally 2 miles later and the electric range just plummets. There is almost no way to recoup one's range by braking or cruising so don't have your hopes up if you previously owned a Prius or other hybrid. Then in dense city areas the efficiency goes up marginally until the city driving is over and then the range just drops as soon as you're back on the highway. That point is especially true for most N Americans outside of largely dense cities.

Then there is the technology. Hybrids are the vehicle equivalent of smartphones. The Insight and Prius were the smart phones before Apple iPhone and Volt, Tesla and Leaf are the equivalent of those that came after. Having owned the 2nd Gen Prius it was like having one of the rock solid 3g phones before the iPhone: I thought it would be cooler to upgrade and now I regret it. Sometimes we are too set in our ways to upgrade our hardware, I say this as a millennial btw. The Volt is more like a shiny iPhone 4. One in which you cannot in fact turn off most notifications during meetings. One in which the phone (car) will tell you that you put your phone in your purse or took it out of your pocket or that it's about to turn off due to low battery and so on. And these alerts are not mute-able! Imagine that. It's insane the amount of bells, bongs and rings this Volt makes. I remember the backup signal on the Prius, that was the only alert, and it was bothersome but I would appreciate having only that over all the other alerts on the Volt. And to think I haven't brought up the entertainment system. You have a smart phone or iPod and plug it in and select your favorite band and then ... where's the album list... so you select a song. Now that great song is playing and the next song is whichever song is alphabetically later in the song list. So think you can remember that bands' best album you loved? No, sorry, scroll through the millions of albums and now the songs will play in Alpha order from the album you just selected. If that sounds "smart" then you my friend belong in a VOLT.

The touch controls are sometimes responsive and sometimes require a little extra prodding below the touch screen. So memorizing the touch buttons by feel is now impossible. And if you once had a Prius in the always hot SW, you probably got used to adjusting the climate on the steering wheel, and now you get to shift your eyes away from the road, onto the center console, over the the split climate section and adjust every two seconds since eco mode on the climate control is as effective as having a golden retriever pant on your for cooling. Yay, Volt!

In summary, SUV drivers may love the fuel efficiency and Prius owners may love to up their smugness with this green-hov-sticker qualifying car but the vast majority hate the numb steering, the dead until you've hit something braking and the lack of visibility due to crash test standards where we absolutely must be able to flip five times into a moving train and live. But honestly, give me a plug-in Golf and let's call it a day. This is still a Chevy after all.

Fantastic car for city driving
By Paul S

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I leased a 2012 Volt in April of that year and loved it. Once I learned to always drive in “L” gear for maximum regen braking, and “S” drive mode for maximum acceleration at the light the car was so much fun to drive. It was extremely quick and totally quiet. What I like is the acceleration is 100% useable. Since there is no noise, grinding and shifting you can put the pedal to the floor every time you start off without any guilt or spectacle. 90% of my driving is in town and I never have to use gas unless I go on a trip out of town. My only disappointment with that car was that in the third year that I owned it my battery range dropped about 20%. I went from seeing 36 miles after charge in the winter to 30 miles. In the summer it went from 47 to less than 40. Chevy said this was normal, but I can’t believe that since it all happened in the third year. Also in that year I added a level 2 charger at work and started topping the car off both at home in the evening and work in the morning.
Turned that car in at end of lease and got a barely used 2014 with every option which I love. It has navigation which the 2012 did not and that is a great feature because of how it integrates with other features. Lots of improvements over the 2012. Now I’m not charging until I drop below 20 mile range and keeping my fingers crossed that I won’t lose driving range in two years.

Love Electric Powered, BUT BEWARE!
By ns2935

2012 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

The Volt I purchased was a left over 2012 model I purchased Aug 2013 with 600 miles on it. The car's exterior and motor was a mess. It took the dealership some six days to clean the vehicle to new looking. I drove the car for additional 18 months prior to trading it in for a Cadillac SRX. I had taken the car to various dealers of GM, Mitsubishi, Subaru. The dealers all expressed concern on taking the Volt in on trade and that concerned me even more and finalized my reasoning for getting rid of the Volt. Just too much unknown on this vehicle for us consumers. Cadillac dealer who took the Volt in trade doubts they will resale on their lot and will send to auto auction to get rid of it. This vehicle is good idea, but the price and quality do not match. Ride is terrible and the hatchback sounds like it can pop the hatch window out if you drive with rear windows opened. The battery is the weak link of the vehicle. Warm temps you get 40 miles per charge. The colder it gets the lower the battery range. Cold weather the driving distance on the battery drops to 16 miles per charge. Combination of cold battery and running electric heater really pulls the battery charge down.