Used 2009 Chevrolet Traverse Consumer Reviews - 153 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Chevrolet Traverse

View reviews for a specific Traverse model:

Like it but I dont love it
By Daphne

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LS 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I recently purchased my certified 2009 Traverse. I am already thinking it's time to unload the truck. I think I need to purchase a 2010. The truck is making a whining noise that sounds like the power steering. I also noticed that the brakes tried to lock up this weekend. Last but not least, the dealership has inspected my car 2xs already. Today, will be the third time. This is costing me time and money. I haven't received my tags yet and the 30 day tags they issued expire tomorrow. I think its time to stop being nice. I do like the ride, the room and I'm proud to drive and American made vehicle.

Drive, cargo space and the room.

improve quality

Give me better gas mileage and quality
By Brian

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT2 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I love the vehicle, however it has not been without problems. One of the A/C ducts were inoperable and needed to be replaced. Next, the engine light kept coming on, ended up having to have the timing chains replaced. Gas mileage is not what was advertised. Struggle to average 17 MPG. Driving is pretty much a mix of hwy/city with slightly more city. Aside from those problems I do enjoy the drive, handling, interior design, storage space. It just stinks that I've had to deal with these problems, now my concern is longevity, will the vehicle hold of for years to come w/o additional problems.

Roominess, dual sunroofs, interior layout, handling.

GAS mileage and better build quality. Hate spending 36K for a vehicle and taking having toi take it to dealer for other than routine maintenance.

Noise in rear?
By MARIAH

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LTZ 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I like my 09 traverse, but am confounded by a noise in the left rear. I have had it back to the dealer 3 times and they claim it is a suspension noise and not a problem. I'm not convinced. Has anyone else experienced this noise? It is a Rather loud thump. Also the driver's seat lumbar control is no longer working. Taking it in for that and the washer heater recall.

Love, love the backup camera, ease of the seat arrangement, and onstar

Back window is hard to see out of. The headroom is not adequate for anyone over 6'.

Back pain from seats
By Frank

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I drove this traverse for the first time from NY. To Florida taking the family to Disney and was very uncomfortable because the head rest is bent forward and the only way to get the head rest to align at proper angle is by reclining the back of the seat to an over relaxed recline. Anyway the day after arriving my back went out and I couldn't even stand up. Vac ruined. Just drove the car yesterday for 20 minutes and my back hurts today as I write. Also dealer sticker says 17 -24 mpg we avg 12.5 mpg city- on Disney trip 2400 miles round trip we avg 16.7 all highway. GM is deceitful, buy Ford.

back up camera screen is the rear view mirror. nice steering radius and acceleration. standard third row seat with very convenient fold up process from rear bumper.

Recall front seats they are a lawsuit in the making as I currently seek legal advice. Give people back money for false gas mileage advertising or the option to return the vehicle for a full refund. Oh yeah stop lying on your commercials that you paid back your bail out. 5 years ahead of schedule

I hate my Traverse, never buy gm again
By I HATE MY TRAVERSE!!

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LS 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Very disgraceful gm, Chevrolet and dealership customer service, servicing, corporate office, deceptive dealer, 4019 miles dead no start, very poor 12.5 mpg, transmission issues, engine noises whistle knocking, brake squeals, poor visibility front bumper and backing, interior light stayed on 2 hours battery save feature malfunctioned, XM annoying calls, gm owner for 25 yrs and I'm done, will never buy gm again. Should of bought Honda/Hyundai. Stay away. Driver side under doors a small bar to protect plastic gas tanks on impact, hope it works? Driver window shimmy off track, dealer did not do detailing ripped me off $398. Gm/Chevy customer service no support claim dealers independently owned and can't help me.

Wish I could get my money back. GM will lose this 25 yr customer who's owned 2 gm's at most times. I will never buy gm again! Don't ever make a turn in front of someone very hesitant acceleration and stumbles. Blind spots. Need better cup holders and cabin filter for allergies pollen etc.

See above and:oil filter bad design, interior gets dirty easy, I have a larger truck and get better mpg (very deceptive) service claims mpg nothing can be done for me to see dealer bought at. Paid for rewards program and never received. Salesperson decptively charged extra for White. GMAC disgraceful too.