Used 2009 Chevrolet Traverse Consumer Reviews - 153 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Chevrolet Traverse

View reviews for a specific Traverse model:

Horrible 2009 Traverse
By aburgener

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT1 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

We have had the Traverse for about 2 years and just on Friday I was driving down a 4 lane highway and it didn't want to shift. Barely, made it home alive and took it to the auto center. They informed me they would not work on it because it would happen again and so when I tried to move it, it would not go in reverse.
We have had problems with the power steering and 3 recalls on it. Something is wrong with the 2009 version of this car. My brother had the same problem and when we were at the repair shop the owner said his sister had the same problem. We are getting another estimate because the first one said it was the transmission... if you have money for lots of repair go for it.

Reliable. Period
By loveblues234

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LS 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this car in 2011 as a 2009 model. Had higher miles in it for the year but that seldomly bothers me considering my driving needs. Terrific car! Have had to fix one thing since 2011 and that was a minor repair. (Actuator ... Controls hot and cold air) Haven't had to jump it, tow it, fix it, absolutely nothing! No joke either! Ridiculously happy with this car! When I need my next, I'll buy another one, wouldn't think twice about it.

The drive is nice, no it's not a performance vehicle. But if your buying a Traverse you're not using it as a high end performance vehicle either. Dual temperature controls makes it comfortable for everyone in any seat. Lots of room for people and things! Middle seats also move forward and back, so you can make adjustments if the very back seat is filled with people as well. Had the car full of softball players to grown adults and it went great for all! I coach ball during the summer so equipment and players are in and out all.the.time. Buy all weather mats, much easier to clean with all those cleats.

Of course like any SUV mpg's are always the complaint. Fuel economy.gov is right what I get. I drive both highway and in town miles. Combined I'm at that 17 mpg mark. As usual, that's my only complaint. I don't baby my cars, i drive them. Just a very nice all around car, low maintenance, typical oil changes, cheap gas (doesn't need the pricey stuff), reliable. Will defiantly buy another; when I finally need one. Only 85k, so I don't see that in my near future.

many many issues
By nomoregm4me3

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LS 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

we have own the traverse since its release. we have had timing chain issues, transmission issues, A/C issues, and power steering issues. keep an extended warranty or get ready to fork over some cash for poor design, and poor workmanship.

size/seating capability. but now that the AC doesnt work, taking the family anywhere is mute.

keep the body style, scrap everything else

Steering Shaft defect
By mngirl

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LT2 4dr SUV AWD (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

Currently there is 51K on my Traverse.
I do like it, it fits our family of five perfectly with room to spare.
I didn't give the review 5 stars simply because there is always room for improvement.
That said, I had a major problem with my steering column recently.
While driving the vehicle, I suddenly and with no warning had no control of my tires - zero steering!
When the vehicle was hauled to the shop, I was told that the steering shaft was completely dismembered
and fell "out of place".
Hmm....has this happened to anyone before?

Wish I would have waited for reviews
By teyjay

2009 Chevrolet Traverse LS 4dr SUV (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I bought my car new off the lot in 2009. I have had numerous problems with this car since i bought it. Starting with the air conditioning knob which until this day has not been fixed because they can not duplicate the problem. The next would be the trip i took right after we got the car and the water pump blew which left my family of six sitting in the middle of no where with no cell phone access in 90+ degree weather. The car can not stop on a small hill without rolling back.
But the one that i am dealing with now is the transmission. The car will not shift into gear, it shuts down on the freeway. It's going back in the shop yet again. Do not waste your hard earned money on this car!

Spacious, looks good from the outside.

Transmission, uncomfortable seating, tires, power steering, air conditioning unit, and many, many more..