Used 2008 Chevrolet Trailblazer Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Trailblazer for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

2008 Trailblazer

Lynn Douglas, 12/30/2015
LT 4dr SUV 4WD w/3LT (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

We bought it new, I now have 160,000 miles on it and are heading for Arizona tomorrow. No problems whatsoever. New bat., new tires, new alt., that's it. I have a 18' camper and traveled around the USA. handled great, could use a little more power, but did nicely in the mountains. I have a 4500 lb. boat and we go to Lake Superior, approximately 350 miles, and it handled the job nicely.

Good Truck

fratblazer08, 10/24/2010

Got my 08 Trailblazer used and I've been loving it ever since. Has a plenty of power for a pretty large SUV, yet also gets around 19mpg if driven for optimal fuel economy. Drives perfectly smooth and handles really well for an SUV, the only thing is that the sway bars are VERY stiff, so going over a speed bump at an angle is going to shake you pretty bad. Handles well off road, can hold its own just fine even with 2wd. I preferred almost everything about the Trailblazer when I compared to all the other SUVs of its caliber on the market.

Great Vehicle

kimba727, 02/13/2011

Leased 1Lt w/4x4-- 1 yr into owning the vehicle moved cross country--happy with performance and ride. It was a comfortable vehicle and has great turning radius for getting in and out of parking spaces. Even my hubby liked the turning and handling. I was involved in a 3 car crash-rear ended by a earlier model TB and had minimal damage-new rear bumper and lift gate. This vehicle held up. My lease is up and cant buy it--so will turn it in- It will be missed and down the road I will keep checking to see if I cant pickup the same model. It was great in the snow or any elements. Always felt safe and comfortable.

Love my TrailBlazer!

New chevyowner, 01/06/2009

After being a 25 year Ford customer and having a dismal experience with my last Explorer, I decided to make the switch to a Chevy. Wow what a difference, I should have done it years ago. The TrailBlazer is as beautiful as the Explorer, with a much smoother ride. I can't feel every little crack in the road like with the Explorer, the transmission is superb with none of the problems I experienced from day one with the horrible Explorer transmission (so far, I haven't had it long). Chevy offers the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty which tells me that they put alot of confidence in their product.

Nice car at a good deal

Meyers, 07/14/2010

I bought my Trailblazer mostly for towing my toys around. It does this very well. It doesn't get much mileage as I have 2 beater cars that I drive on a daily basis. I get anywhere from 15 to 17 MPG in the city and around 21 on open highways. I have been a Ford guy through and through, but when it came to this purchase, I couldn't pass it up. For the price and features, it beat all Explorers that I looked at. Don't get me wrong, if I were buying brand new, it would be Ford all day, just on principle, but I was looking at getting the biggest bang for my buck on this purchase.

Love mine!

L. Reeve, 06/22/2010

Bought my 2008 in 2008. Have 40K mi. on it now. (3 road trips). Pulls my travel trailer like it's not there and I get over 18 mpg. while pulling it! I get 19.8 in town. I have had no issues with it at all except a rattle where the sun roof is. One road trip was long and it was extremely comfortable. I have three Boxers and they all fit comfortably in the rear. No mechanical problems whatsoever. Sorry they aren't still making them!

Trailblazer Blazes

Jenny, 01/04/2010

Purchased our TB as a demo w/ 500 miles, great deal, great car! Drives and handles very well, much better than the Fords my family has owned. Has great space for our two carseats in the backseat and a smaller or thinner person in the middle when necessary. Cargo space is perfect, can fit strollers & groceries with room to spare. Easy to find and operate controls, love the electric seat adj as husband & I are 1 ft diff in height, can easily adj to our needs. Have had no problems whatsoever with routine maintenance. Gas mileage is as expected for an SUV. OnStar is a major bonus, especially when you have kids. Travels well for short & long distances - would definitely purchase again!

nice ride

steve, 02/18/2010

love the car great in snow... would buy again

Great Truck

one great truck, 10/12/2010

It has been a very reliable and powerful vehicle. It still turns more heads than a crossover. It is comfortable on long trips and has the power of a V8. The dashboard and radio could use a little updating.

Trailblazer Still Stacks Up

JEM77, 03/02/2010

Think about price and reliability and you'll find the Trailblazer LT really holds up. This is my second and it has plenty of power, comfort, and a price point that allows for many extras including a factory sunroof. It goes anywhere and I never have had an issue with it. The 4WD is an option as well, I live in FL so no need. The critics ratings are often harsh because it's been around a while and not cache, but note owner ratings, owners love the car.

Enjoy every moment of the drive!

thesubwaypushe, 04/14/2013

It took me about two seconds into the test drive to turn to my friend in the back seat and yell, "This is my truck!" And I didn't care that the salesperson heard me. That's how excited I was as I settled into the bolstered leather seats and hit the accelerator. Then after a mile or so, I realized this was a very special truck. It drives like a sports car and truly tugs at your soul when it hits you with that attractive engine note. Going out to the winding curves of Long Island or the hilly moutains in the country is such a treat. It feels like a true muscle CAR of yesteryear, is extremely comfortable, and looks great as well. Vroooooom!!! Chris Thomasel

Not sure I want another Chevrolet

cottonqueen, 02/24/2009

After owning a 2002 TrailBlazer, decided to get a new one. Boy was that a mistake. I loved it for the first 2 1/2 months. Then the stabilization light came on, got it fixed then check engine light came on. The nightmare begins, took in 12/27/08 and as of this date 2/24/09 I still have not gotten it fixed. They cannot get a torque converter. They say that is my problem. If they cannot get that part, what is to say they can get any other part that breaks! I am begining to hate Chevy. Paying for something, I cannot drive!

Nice SUV

Bruce, 10/21/2007

This is a fun SUV. Not to be mistaken for a real off road SUV. The fuel mileage is better than the manufacturer says, I'm getting 16.57 mpg. I am looking forward to increasing the horsepower. If you are looking forward to a fun SUV with horsepower this is the SUV for you.

Worse car I could have purchased

Gentletouch, 10/29/2009

I purchased my TB new with 21 miles on it. Two months later my computers went out. I blew the horn and the car died. Took a week for the dealership to figure what was actually wrong with the truck, and took another week and a half to fix it. I have a funny noisy from the wheels now when I back up. Dealer said it was rocks and it would go away, but it didn’t. The stabilitrack light comes on all the time for no reason. When I went to trade the TB in the value on it is next to nothing. I wouldn’t recommend this care to anybody.

I Dig It

Dave, 01/30/2010

I get a little over 16 mpg average with fairly aggressive driving. I can't complain for what I get. Suspension was too stiff so I softened a little. Perfect now. VERY fun to drive. Its my work truck. People always asking what the heck it is-- SS's are rare around here.

Nice SUV

Joe, 05/07/2008

We traded in a 2005 Saturn Vue because of our growing family. It is more comfortable, quieter, than the Vue. The Vue was much faster due to the Honda V6 that it had, and it was better on gas. For being rwd, the TrailBlazer did great in the snowy season we had in Detroit Michigan. We never got stuck, or slid off the road. We average 15mpg in the city, and 20mpg on the high way.

High-Tech ... But Still Some 'Retro'!

tknrg, 05/19/2008

The "TBSS Experience" is as close as you're going to come today to getting a true sense of the good old glory days of the historic "Chevy SS" muscle cars of the '60s and early '70s! This vehicle not only recreates the feeling of the "SS power cruisers" of the past - - but it has handling, ride, comfort, and convenience features that go well beyond most vehicles (car, SUV, or truck) on the road today, especially in its price-range. This is an all- around, truly fine, American-made, limited production vehicle! Pretty spectacular all-around!

Bad bad purchase

Hauppauge, NY, 09/25/2007

Dont even consider buying this vehicle... Nothing but problems.... Front linkage constantly loosening. Brake rotors wearing unevenly. IGNITION PROBLEMS...whew!!!! Blower Motor Vibrates very loudly Tires wear unevenly. Smithtown Chevy....horrible dealer. Ripoff Salesmen, and Service manager is a tyrant.... no satisfaction, they only fix what they want too... beware REAL GAS MILEAGE ONLY 13 MPG...... HIGHWAY MPG=14MPG CITY MPG = 13MPG

Do not buy this to tow anything

john davis, 08/27/2010

I purchased 2008 SUV 2 weeks ago. I read reviews. GM's claims were that this car would tow 5200 lbs and up depending on rear end. My boat and trailer weigh 3600. Now to tow on flat interstate highway it will not tow in fourth at all at speed limit without dropping to 3rd gear and 2nd gear on an incline. We contacted gm. They said there was nothing wrong and to tow in third gear 1300 miles to Florida down and 1300 back even though 2 states are mountain states and it would be in 2nd gear at least 1/2 of the time. This is very hard on whole drive train and would diminish the life of vehicle. Their 4.2 6 cyl. is rated at 291 hp at 6500 rpm but max rpm is 4500 how can you research like that just sick

Chevy's SS package does it again!

SS Man, 02/15/2008

For all you SS lovers out there, Chevy finally answered back! This SUV has it all... power, suspension, body style and all the options you need cruising at 100mph. I've had no problems with the windows rolling-up at high speeds (like another review I read) and the new 4 speed transmission allows a lot more than torque than any 5 or 6 speed can handle. I own a 2002 Camaro SS with a 6-speed manual transmission and could've only prayed for a 4-speed manual! Less shifting.... more driving! If you like stlye, comfort, power and most importantly SS packages buy this SUV now before there all gone. I recommend the the Black Granite Metallic for paint.

I love it

TY L., 04/21/2009

I love it. Drives awesome, looks even better. There's not a lot of them around where i live so its awesome being next to the tuner guys and give em hell. The ride is very smooth. Everything is straight forward. Fuel economy is something everyone seems to have an CON for but what do you expect out of an SUV with a corvette engine in it. Id recommend anyone that needs the room of the SUV but the fun of a sports car to buy it and never look back.

Worst Vehicle I Ever Owned

David Binder, 04/24/2009

The stabilitrack light comes on and the dealers can not find a problem. The vehicle once would not move when that light came on. We finally used Onstar to capture the error code but the dealerships we took it to could not identify the problem. The windows are slow to go up and are noisy.

TB5.3v8

Nick Ricc, 06/21/2009

First TB was 02, and didn't like 4.2. Was traded for 04 Tahoe that was great, but I was offered special incentives to trade on a 08TB 5.3, and have enjoyed it ever since. MPG average is about 18.2 and seems to improve with middle grade 89.

Interior and features

Ron Adkins, 02/07/2010

Lumbar support knob came off in hand. Very poor indeed. Cable cover by mirror also fell off. Styling has a lot to be desired. Sound system very poor. Locking system locks you out if you leave key in ignition, very frustrating.

Very Sad

sosad, 05/12/2010

In the first year my 2008 TrailBlazer has had the rack and pinion, steering column, sircoil, stabilitrack, airbags, foam insulators, window regulator, left rear shock, five new brake boosters and 1 master cylinder all replaced after failing. Gm paid to have them replaced under warranty. My car is a lemon I wanted a buy back. They have been terrible and are just allowing me to have these newly replaced items warranted with extension. Gm has made me so so sad.

Hit the Trail-blazer

Larry Holder, 03/23/2017
LT 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have had good thoughts about this vehicle. It's my first "SUV", I am VERY pleased with the package it comes with, I'm into gadgets, Sirius, Bose,wheels, I'm not really into leather, especially black, it's too hot in the summer, too cold in the winter. The only things missing on mine is a sun roof, and automatic start feature. Mine when running about 40 mph., acts like it's being pulled in the opposite direction, or tugged. The dealership hasn't a clue. Overall a good vehicle....so far. Really surprised it has all, and more, than my 1996 Cadillac DeVille DeElegance did. Since my last review I have noticed it does use quite a bit more fuel than I'm accustomed to, more so than the V8s I've owned. I knew this was true with the other V6s I've owned, but I thought things would be different with a newer model, and better fuel technology.

Well worth the $$$

Dick, 10/04/2019
LT 4dr SUV 4WD w/2LT (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this 4wd vehicle 10 1/2 years since purchasing used with 13,600 miles on it. Never an issue with the drivetrain or engine. Tough- I tow a 5,500lb boat with plenty of power in the 4.2L engine as long as you do as the manual says - tow in D3. Easy 2wd to three choices of 4wd (auto, high,low) work without any issues. I live in the north with the heaviest amount of road salt in the USA - Salt City, NY aka Syracuse, and have no visible rust on the body. It has never been parked in my garage. Not saying vehicle doesn't have some issues time to time but they are manageable and common with any vehicle. No vehicle is bug free and some are made during lunch hour. I certainly have gotten my money worth after being very hesitant about buying one. Repair shop I use says they have a number of these come in with 200,000 miles plus on them and are impressed with the fact that frame, drivetrain and body has held up so well compared to other SUV makes.

It's a bully!

Janet Hale, 06/04/2017
LT 4dr SUV 4WD w/3LT (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Awesome vehicle. Drives through anything! Highly recommend. Nothing safer in my opinion.

Sad to see the TrailBlazer leave

This is worth a look, 06/06/2010

After the 2009 Model year GM has discontinued the TrailBlazer and has replaced with with the new Equinox. I test drove a new Equinox last week and was VERY unhappy with it. The vehicle had no power (even with the V6) and the gas mileage was a far cry from what they had claimed. I have had an 04 Trailblazer which was just traded in on a 2010 Acadia and I still have my 2008 Trailblazer. Just can't part with her. There is just something about the exterior look of the LT and the strong acceleration that really sold me. I plan on keeping it until the doors fall off! 45K and not a single problem yet!

No room it the back

Kaye, 02/25/2009

This has always been a dream vehicle until we bought it. The vehicle is very comfortable except the backseat which is very uncomfortable and no room. There is no extras it is only basic inside.

Too Much Gas!

Too much gas!, 06/28/2010

I love everything about this car EXCEPT the horrible gas mileage. I only get about 13 mpg! I have taken it in and they say that nothing is wrong and that Trailblazer's are gas hogs. It costs $65 to fill up my tank and if I am lucky I get 300 miles. We have tried high performance oil, but that didn't seem to help much. I enjoy the smooth ride and the power of the engine but it sucks both the oil and your wallet dry! We bought it with 17 mpg in town advertised BUT I have never gotten anywhere close, so we feel like we were ripped off. I have only put 10,000 miles on it and drive average. It handles well in rain and snow when the 4 x 4 kicks in.

Love My Trailblazer

Red1, 06/19/2008

I traded my '05 Equinox for my '08 Trailblazer. It has great pick up and a very comfortable ride.I like the interior styling. The controls are all easy to use. The steering wheel controls were a little confusing at first but I got the hang of it. My 3LT has a lot of nice features, sunroof, Bose Radio w/6 cd changer, blk leather seats with warmers (needed for Chicago winters), recall seating using key remotes. The list goes on. Gas mileage same as Equinox more or less. Right now I am averaging 17.3 in the city (must be the lack of summer traffic).

Big Fun With a Price

drwooly, 07/01/2008

Now, on 07-01-08, kind of an update, because I've always felt like initial purchase is like lust, but keeping for a while is long-term love. MPG has leveled at 15 town/road, and drops to 11 if towing.Where's the six-speed A/T? Ride has degraded some because of low- profile tires, but still fun. Obviously, GM engineers don't expect anyone w/ this vehicle to tow anything because of the brain-dead design for electrical connections is impossible to use w/o altering /cutting some plastic. Just for fun, entered a car show we were playing music for, and walked away with a Top 25 medal for newer models. Didn't expect that! Still fun, still drinks gas like Foster Brooks, very nice!

Still great

darren, 08/06/2008

Great power, ride, fuel economy better than expected, all the safety features, the quality is awsome! Better than any Toyota I've ever owned. Will buy my wife an 09

Wow

Kimberly Heck, 08/17/2008

I love this vehicle. I have problems with low back pain and seats are a great fit for me. This car drives like a dream with tight ride, a little softer than a Mercedes. I managed to get this car with the 5.3 engine and I am very impressed with the performance and I have no problems merging into busy Dallas traffic. The turning radius is amazing and can easily manage any U-turn or parking lot space. I know the the fuel economy could be better but I can't complain because I knew that when I bought the vehicle.

SS TB Rocks!

DCC, 09/05/2008

After owning 2 Corvettes but needing a truck, this is a great way to go. Gas mileage could be much better if Chevy junked the 4-speed transmission for a five or 6-speed. Other than that, it's a blast to drive. This truck gets a lot of looks and is nicer looking (inside and out) than the SRT Jeep I was looking at.

Great SUV

stephanie, 09/25/2008

I drove Jeeps for years. I am so glad I made the switch to my TrailBlazer. I can only say great things about it! Would recomend it to anyone looking for a midsize suv! We have plenty power to tow our camper and boat. Better gas mileage than expected!

Impressive

Wvasko, 10/11/2008

Saw it, liked it, drove it, bought it. It was a great experience. The ride is smooth, acceleration good for nice sized rig and 6 cylinders. Exceptionally comfortable easy, to load groceries etc. Easy to get into and exit. Some don't like the seat belts, I do as they are lower than most and not across neck. We have been averaging 18.5 mpg. I was very impressed going over the bumps etc.

Built Like An Anvil

Youngturk, 11/28/2008

This is my second Trailblazer. I had my first for three years without one single problem. And although some people might think the styling is a bit dated, it's unpretentious, and as functional and reliable a vehicle as you could ask for. Comfortable and fun to drive. And the inline six is bulletproof. This is one solid, well-built vehicle.

TrailBlazer Fan

TrailblazerFan, 11/26/2008

Drive the rest. The TrailBlazer is comfortable, powerful, roomy, handles fairly well, tows a lot, has all the gadgets. This is my second and I wasn't prepared to spend $5-10 grand more for a car with slightly better handling. These cars are bulletproof and in '06-'08 all the kinks have been worked out of this proven truckster. Rides smooth. Drive one and see for yourself. 100K trans and for around a grand get a 100K bumper-bumper and you are good to go. Buy American, save a family!

Much better than it's reviews

Locust, 12/22/2008

The TrailBlazer is a plain vanilla SUV, but get in and see what you get for thousands less than those that get the great reviews. It has some great features, phone, directions & emergency. A very nice ride, Bose speakers, buttery soft leather, 2 zone temp control & deep tinted windows. And a lot of room, I'm a big guy at 265 & I'm not squished in , the seats are large & firm with plenty of headroom.

Rewarding to drive

cristios, 01/05/2009

My 08 TrailBlazer SS is a truly enjoyable ride. Porsche people will hate this but the car this reminds me most of is the 97 911C2S I drove for a while. Looking over the stubby hood and praying that there is enough traction to make it around the corner makes for fun- if not especially confidence inspiring- driving. There is however a lot of traction and brakes to go with the power of the LS2.

TrailBlazer Redux

richgimmel, 01/04/2009

This is my second TrailBlazer. My first was an '06 that I gave up without a single problem after 70,000 miles. GM was discounting the new '08 models so heavily I had to buy one. This is a very well-built vehicle. Naturally, GM decided to shut down the plant that makes them.

TrailBlazer SS

Darkhell, 01/31/2009

The hands down best SUV I have ever driven. I have never been a fan of buying new cars until the day I drove to the dealership to test drive something fast just for the fun of it. Months went by and I couldn't get that car out of my head. Its the comfort of one of a luxury SUV, hands down best looking SUV on the market and is powered by the 400hp ls2 corvette motor. Not sure if you want one? No harm in just test driving one.

An Excellent Affordable SUV!

Kansas Sunflower, 02/09/2009

Since buying this vehicle I have driven it in town, on highways, in mud, in sand, in snow, and some on ice. Much of the driving has been a combination of city and highway, but it has been on one trip of about 2000 miles. The performance has been great and the overall mileage has been better than I expected. Most city driving yields about 15-16mpg and most highway driving has yielded 19-20 mpg. However, during the 2000 mile trip the TrailBlazer (6 cylinder) got 23 mpg at times with an overall average of 21 mpg for the trp. This is a very comfortable vehicle to drive and to ride as a passenger. It has not given me any problems so far.

The Comfort of a Luxury Vehicle

Sailingsoon, 03/03/2009

We purchased this vehicle new for $18K when GM was offering great rebates- what a bargain! In 2003 we purchased a TB for my daughter and were impressed by the ride and ease of parking and handling. The reliability of her TB was OK, but not stellar. In 90,000 miles she had to have the fan clutch replaced, a passenger side power window replaced at her cost and had some initial warranty problems with door seals and taillights. I read where GM later changed the type of fan clutch and solved that problem.

Way better then I expected

Canyons, 03/15/2009

We were looking at a Yukon or a Tahoe but for the price you just can't beat this. I was a little hesitant at first to buy this but I quickly changed my mind. The drive is super smooth (better then some cars) there is room in the back for my 6'3 husband and enough room for our two large Labradors in the back. With a new baby on the way we should have plenty of room for everyone :)

wish i could drive it

david mcdermott, 03/23/2009

well so far ive had my trailblazer almost a month and ive gotten to drive it for two weeks of it. only 500 miles on it and already in shop 3 times for check engine light comming on. first couple times they thought it may be a gas cap, now its been in shop for several days for same thing however now its because a bad sensor that they had to pull gas tank to get to. hopefully that fixes it, thank god for 36,000 mile warranty, after its over come talk to me if you want a 08 trailblazer for cheap as is. anyway, i like my rental car

Think twice before you purchase this

stick w/honda, 01/20/2008

I had my truck for 3 months and steering was shaking violently and brakes were even worse. Took it into the dealership TWICE, but they could find the problem which is still going on! I had a Honda for the past 10 years without a single problem. I regret going with GM. I don't feel safe in it and very hesitant transporting my children in it. I hate this truck and how I fear for my safety in it. Traction light is always coming on and the traction warning light comes on too. I was told it is ok by the dealership and it would reset itself when I turned off the car. It does, only to turn right back on 5-10 minutes later.

Good Bang for the Buck

andrecan, 01/19/2008

Coming off a 2004 Z06 lease I wanted to keep some "Vette" in my life w/2 kids and frequent trips to snow country demand AWD. While no Vette, it does instill confidence leaving tolls or kicking down to pass at any speed. Ride is nice and handling is good for this size vehicle. Seats are comfortable. Window doesn't close properly properly at high speed. I have to slow down, then close to get proper fit wout wind noise. Also transmission wants to slow this car down when you try to coast at about 68 mph. which makes it challenging to keep a steady foot in traffic at that speed. I like my wifes FX45 2x better but after comparing stickers I'm happy.

51050