Used 2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer Consumer Reviews - 296 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer

View reviews for a specific TrailBlazer model:

Really Nice SUV
By Brandy

2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LTZ 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I really love my TrailBlazer. It is a very comfortable vehicle. Have had it 3 1/2 years. Only problems have been clearcoat peeling on rims(warranty fixed), temp control sensor (warranty fixed), and front wiper motor. The front windshield wiper issue was a recall that should have been fixed by the dealership, but a friend of ours (a GM mechanic) looked it up and found out they took the cheap route and didn't replace the whole thing. The only issue I have now is gas mileage. It is average for a SUV, but may have to trade off since I have a long commute. The computer says I average 17.8. At highway speeds (55-70), I have seen instant economy of 19-30 though. Have to readjust outside mirrors rarely.

I love all the features on my TrailBlazer. Especially the rain sensing wipers and automatic dimming mirrors. It has spoiled me so much that I am picky now about what I may want to trade it for. It has a very comfortable ride and the LTZ package makes it a really good looking vehicle.

It is a shame GM is going to quit making it. I hope the Traverse is as nice looking as the Acadia. I wish GM would make hybrid versions.

Put it through hell
By Big D

2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LT 2WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

Have had very little problems with my TrailBlazer. I do a lot of towing, 3500lb. boat and 5000lb. travel trailer. I take it out to the woods all the time. Have recently had to replace the water pump. Still using the original brakes and only on my third set of tires. Not having any of the problems with stereo and so forth that other reviewers are discussing. I put my Trailblazer thru hell and have loved every minute of it.

Towing power. No repair issues.

Better gas mileage. Digital OnStar system. Mine came with an analog system which no longer works.

Awesome!
By Deb

2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LTZ 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I am from the UK so I had to find a car that was all in 1. Having never driven in snow I needed a good stable 4WD. This SUV is outstanding in all aspects. I am realy pleased I bought this car so I am totally recommending it to everyone that is thinking about buying one.

My favorite features of this SUV is the sound system and comfort especially on long drives.

The only thing I found was that the car has a cigerette lighter but no ashtray. A pain when you have friends in it that smoke.

Never Again
By NDMN

2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this car since new. The first time it was in the shop was 10 days after I bought it due to a "flapping" sound on the highway. It took 3 additional trips to determine that there were screws missing in the wheel well. The build quality on this car is terrible, it has been in the shop 30+ times for all manner of problems. Now I am looking to get a new car (Toyota) I find that my $30k SUV is worth almost nothing. GM has forever lost a customer with this vehicle.

towing, 4x4

Seat comfort, build quality, reliability

Disappointedchevyowner
By neverbuychevyagain

2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.2L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a "certified" used 2002 from the dealership w/ extended warranty. this broke down 3 days after I drove it off the lot. took 3 weeks to get back. I have had nothing but 1 problem after another in 4 yrs of ownership. Engine just went at 70k (manuf defect w/ cyl wall) and after 6 weeks I finally get back with used engine that doesn't run right. On way home front suspension fell apart- not put back together properly. Calls to Chevy/GM were no help. GM will not stand behind their vehicles and basically acted like they didn't even want to hear about my problem. GM refused to give new engine or guarantee on used engine. I'll never buy GM again. Getting Subaru if I ever get back.

rides nice when it isn't in the shop. it's 4 wheel drive (when the 4WD switch actually wants to work) has a lot of room for baby stuff. That's about it.

better reliability. GM needs to learn the ettiquette of customer service/satisfaction and build vehicles that are more reliable and not give you a hard time every time it breaks down. No wonder why everyone I know is getting rid of their chevy's and buying subarus/hondas. I will be next.