Used 2000 Chevrolet Tracker Consumer Reviews - 31 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Chevrolet Tracker

View reviews for a specific Tracker model:

A great little SUV
By dan

2000 Chevrolet Tracker 4dr SUV 4WD

I have had a few of these and the 4 CYL engine is the way to go. The v-6 seems to have timing belt noise issues and does not hold up any near as long as the 4 cyl. These have no real towing ability and seem to eat front brakes. The body panels dent easily. The power steering rack and pinion also is known to leak. All in all it will go about anywhere and has ample heat and AC. I have seen the 4 cyl models with well over 180K miles on them with no issues. A safe bet for a used vehicle. It it hard to buy them at the market prices... these hold their value quite well.

Economy and reliability. Nimble and bad weather capable

Stay away from the V-6! it is in no way as reliable as the 4 Cyl.

Keeps on rolling
By maggie

2000 Chevrolet Tracker 2dr SUV w/Soft Top

My Tracker has been in my family coming up on 9 years now. Bought it new in Dec 2000. Mine is the rear wheel drive, soft top version. It has a manual transmission. I (the mom) drove it for 7 years with never a problem. Outside of routine maintenance, it has cost me no money. My son bought it from me 2 years when stationed in sunny southern CA. Again, no problems with it. Routine maintenance only. He recently drove it cross country, from CA to VA with no problem at all. Very soon, he will be purchasing a newer car and the Tracker will go to his younger sister who is in college. For basic transportation, with no bells and whistles, this is a great little car.

Split convertible top, cute, red

Back seat is really not designed for larger people.

Peppy and fun to drive
By piasa

2000 Chevrolet Tracker 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

I've owned my Tracker since Dec of 99. I bought it while I was in the Navy for a fuel friendly and peppy car for the San Diego area. The engine is a little under powered, but with k&n filters, cherry bomb muffler, and megaphone style exhaust tip, mine seems to have picked up a little bounce in its step if you know what I mean. I owned it less than six months before I put it on a trail in San Diego. The Uniroyal tires that were stock on it did a good job holding onto the rocks, and its footing only wavered when a large rose quartz stone under the left front shattered and I slid about ten feet. But I'd say these are vastly underestimated litte 4x4s.

I like the ease of the 4wd shift on the fly, and the rack and pinion steering. Having the option for the 2.0L instead of the 1.6L was a nice touch as well. As is its ability to mount 30" tires without a lift kit.

I would like to see more aftermarket performance parts. More agressive cams and timming blocks, performance headers, turbo systems, body/suspension lift kits, limited slip rear and front difs.

Use of my Tracker since new
By RogerD

2000 Chevrolet Tracker 2dr SUV 4WD w/Soft Top

I purchased this vehicle new for a towed vehicle behind my motorhome. It was one of few light weight vehicles that could be towed 4 down. It has only 26000 miles as of this date, and I use it almost daily. I have had no problems with it and except for some wind noise, and low horsepower, I think it is a great vehicle and plan to keep it until the wheels fall off. Thanks

Can be towed four down behind motorhome. Ability to use as a convertable on good days. Very easy vehicle to drive in traffic.

Availability of after market accessories. More horsepower. Manual freewheeling hubs.

Must have been built on a Friday
By whocares

2000 Chevrolet Tracker 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased the tracker new in late 2000. Got the no frills, basic 5 speed model. At approximately 3,000 miles loud squeaks and squeals came from engine transmission area. I told dealer I thought it was trans but he supposedly changed water pump. Went back and forth changing parts finally trans 5th gear blew at 65,000 others are not far behind. Directional and electrical wires grounded out between firewall and trans. oil seals began leaking heavily at 70,000. Built by Suzuki but not as dependable as Samurai I have.

Very good in snow mud and even ice with studs. Gas mileage is great for an SUV. Rides suprisingly well on rough woods roads. Roll down window option. SDtill runs at 110,000. Tires last quite a while.

Quality control. 4x4 shifter will not reliably engage on days below 10 degrees. Needs to have passenger side air bag off switch so one of the kids could sit in front when needed. Gas cap door rusted and broke off 2nd year.