Used 2005 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV Consumer Reviews - 111 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:

Expensive Mechanical Nightmare
By smp

2005 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Paid $47000 including a $3000 extended warranty. Drove for 3 1/2 years before it needed a new radiator and transmission-$4000. Radiator cracked and fluids were mixing. Also found out the ext warranty co. went bankrupt so not only are we out $3000 for warrant but another $4000 for the repair. Now 9 months later needs another $1000 repair, the transfer something or other. Drive switches from 2WD to 4WD at random and no one can find anything wrong with it. Speedometer breaks at random for a few days, usually on a trip, then starts working again. Will NEVER purchase a GM vehicle again. Biggest hunk of junk ever. Fun to drive but a mechanical nightmare.

Love my Tahoe
By Austin

2005 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I have enjoyed owning my Tahoe and never regretted buying it. The DVD player has been awesome with the grandchildren and also the 3rd seat. Only had a few minor problems, car seat adjust and speed odometer quit working, but that was at 72k miles and the dealer fixed the odometer free. Wasn't great on gas but I expected that when I bought it.

Love the seats and just the overall view inside and out. Very comfortable on road trips.

3rd sit adjustment as far as removing, other than that nothing

Defects
By SSgt. Pore

2005 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I purchase my Tahoe for work and family transportation. I love it but the maintenance issue is complicating. The muffler has an internal heats that the rivets have become loose inside and makes the muffler continuously rattles and the dashboard speedometer needle frequently stick causing unidentifiable speeds when driving.

DVD, CD changer OnStarXm Radio and heated seats

modify muffle and adjust speedometer needle

Worst Vehicle I ever bought
By herrmajj

2005 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Transmission, 3 seperate wiring issues, steering column, new cluster, seat adjustments went crazy and would try to smash you into the dash and now upcoming differential work. That is not to mention how uncomfortable the seats are for a long drive. The kids cannot put the seats all the way back in the second row because the armrest hits the side of the interior. Very disappointed. List price as equipped 54K and thought I got a deal at 31K. Guess I was wrong. Going to see if I can get in a Sequoia.

XM, OnStar.

Build it like you were actually going to have to drive one yourself.

Don't Buy One
By azvincent

2005 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased my Tahoe new in 05. Big mistake. Since week one, I had nothing but problems. I owned the vehicle a little over three years and only had 15k on the odometer when I finally got rid of it. With only 15k miles, I had the Tahoe at the dealership 14 times for multiple problems from minor to major. I was actually told by a representative at the dealer “Who knows, maybe the car was built on a Friday”. I took a huge bath on the depreciation but it was well worth the cost to get it out of my driveway. I replaced the Tahoe with a Subaru Forester and have been happy ever since. If you have money to throw away, by all means drive a Tahoe. I don’t think GM will ever figure it out.

Interior room.

Reliability, gas mileage, warranty, quality, road noise, dealer service and overall value for your money.