Used 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe Consumer Reviews - 260 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
By Todd

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

We purchased the Tahoe for my wife but I like it so much that I rarely drive my own SUV. Drives great for such a large vehicle . However, I don't recommend exceeding the speed limit by much on sweeping mountain turns - I always feel on the edge of falling off the mountain. Other than a recurring clunk in the steering column (no effect on performance) the build quality has been excellent. If you have leather the heated seats are a must in cold weather.

Heaven bless the man who invented the rear seat entertainment package. Heated seats. Great towing ability. Quiet ride. Ride height.

I want a diesel engine option. The tray on top of the center console is a good idea (in theory) but seems to collect odds and ends that fall all over when opening the console. The auto heat/ac controls are flaky - I'd rather have manual controls.

Nice truck, but troublesome
By Tom

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this fully loaded Z71 as a demonstrator in November, 2004. A local baseball celebrity had driven it 3,200 miles in six months. The truck is great to drive--quiet, lots of power, and acceptable fuel economy for the vehicle size. I occasionally tow a utility trailer with my dirt bikes (about 1,000 lbs) and you don't even realize it is behind the truck. Unfortunately, the truck only has 35k miles and it has been rather troublesome. The battery completely died several times during the first winter (computer software update fixed it), the steering intermediate shaft has failed twice (20 & 25k), the 4WD system failed (33k--encoder motor) and the water pump is now leaking (35k).

Engine power is awesome. Quiet, comfortable ride. It is a superb family hauler.

Build it to last longer than the warranty. This would be a great truck if it stayed together. The build quality is below average (body panel fit and interior fit is rather poor) and the (un)reliability is simply unacceptable.

Perfection
By John Nix

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

We purchased our Tahoe as a combination work and play truck, it performed both fantastically. With its leather seats and luxury feel we were proud to have clients ride in it, from a custom home on a paved road to acreage located on top of a mountain with no road, all were very comfortable. On weekends we went four wheeling and our Tahoe got down and dirty like we did. We went thru rivers and to the tops of mountains, dirt road or no road at all made no difference. Best truck we ever purchased.

The automatic four wheel drive was convenient and a gas saver.

I Love My Tahoe with the Cattle Catcher!
By penny

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I love this vehicle. Yeh, I padi through the nose (actually still am), but I love this truck. At 93,000 miles I just replaced the fuel pump, muffler. Needs U-Joint. Hope this doesn't set precedent for continuing repairs.

Cattle catcher, heated seats, steering wheel controls for phone, sound system, mileage notes.

Can't beat these Tahoes!
By anniston

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I travel all around the Southeast for my job, so I need a big, comfortable car that I love to drive. The Tahoe fit that perfectly. I have always driven Chevrolets and Buicks, my wife always drove a Toyota. When I got this Tahoe LT in 2004, my wife was sitting in a Black Z71 the next month, so I drive a 2004 and she drives a 2005. It really turned her into a Chevy lover! Like I said I travel and have 91k miles on it, but I hate to sell it. I don't like the new ones, so I'm going to buy a low mile 2006 whenever I hit 100k. No major issues with repairs except the AC compressor at 80k, but it was covered under my extended warranty.

OnStar (can't live without it as much as I drive), comfortable ride, comfortable seats, Vortec 5300, oil life indicator.

More durable leather, be able to adjust pedals while out of park.