Used 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe Consumer Reviews - 260 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:

Get better mileage
By Ann

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

We just bought our Tahoe and I absolutely love it! I have to remember to take it out of all wheel drive when I first get in, so that I'm not using to much fuel. In doing this, it takes me from 15.9 to.. the best so far is 20.6 mpg. But, the average is 19.7. Hope this helps someone. Not all of the 2004's I've noticed are like mine. Mine has 3 buttons to the left of s/w. 4 Low, All wheel and the T/C. I hit the T/C before putting in gear, this is what helps with the MPG.

Haven't found one that I don't like

Take the OnStar off of the steering wheel. It's not available in all areas, and could use the temp controls there instead.

Great rig
By CT

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my Tahoe used, off fleet, with about 14k miles on it back in 2005. As of Sep 2008 I can say this is a wonderful rig for what it is. Very comfortable. Great fuel economy for a vehicle of its size. Reliable. Good off road when I take it hunting (and the back is large enough for me to sleep in). For a family with two kids and a dog, our Tahoe fits perfectly. We often use the third row seats, so that's another nice addition. Overall, for its purpose, this is a great rig.

Space. Gas mileage. 4WD. Bose sound. Sunroof. Space.

Better interior plastic pieces. Some of them fall off under normal use. Everything is completely redone by now, so anything said at this point is already covered in newer models.

Best SUV I Ever Owned
By rbn005

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I have really been fortunate. Mine is fully loaded and all of us have enjoyed it. The vehicle has been excellent. We have driven many different terrains (on- road, off-road), mountains, pulled boats, cargo trailers, etc. and it has handle itself very well. The mpg is not too bad for an SUV. Average around 17.5. I can't think of anything that I would change except for the third row seats. Frankly, I like it better than the 2008 Tahoe.

My favorite feature is the surround sound. All of us got in it the first night we owned it to watch a DVD. It was awesome! Seriously. The engines reliability. When I need to pass a vehicle. I know I am going to make it around quickly and safely.

Third row seats. They are heavy for a petite person to try to remove. But I do like their full-size for adult persons.

Strong like Rock
By clownthebobo

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

2004 Tahoe LS 2WD, 5.3 liter flex fuel. We bought this vehicle in anticipation of reliability, decent mileage, good priced and to haul a large family in style. We got all four. We had one repair, which was a recall item. With 2wd, we had up to 22 MPG on the freeway (Catback exhaust and cold air intake). Impressive. City mileage is on par with other SUV's. We have had nine people in the Tahoe without any complaining. The only design flaw I see is the difficulty on how the rear passengers get in and out. Difficult task for an adult 6 foot or larger, but let room in the second row is great. All in all a comfortable family vehicle!

Comfort, safety, power, and reliability.

Second row entry.

Chevy Tahoe 2004
By Kough

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Bought it from Carmax with 60 miles. Around 65 miles the speedometer went out, next the oil pressure sensor went out and I finally replaced the whole cluster...cost $400. Around 80 miles the flex fuel pump went out...the cost to replace was$1100. As I type this it is at the dealership because it has started leaking coolant and oil...the estimated cost is $1850.I'm very disappointed in my Tahoe and as much as I've enjoyed the features and roominess I will never buy another one.I'm disappointed in Chevy too because I've learned through all of these repairs that these are all very common in Tahoes. It's not fair that the consumer is left to pay when these are all common issues even in later models

It's very roomy. Love all of the features.

There are issues that need to be corrected before the car is put on sales floor: speedometer cluster,fuel pump. I've read other issues that I haven't experienced yet. If there are issues that are happening in multiple Tahoes how is it the consumers problem? Its not fair. I'll never buy another