Used 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe Consumer Reviews - 261 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:

232,000 miles & running like a champ!
By Beth

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

We love our Tahoe! We bought it used with 24,000 miles on it and it was approximately 1 year old. The maintenance has been low and easy to keep up. This vehicle has met our every need and will be with us until it days no more. I can't say enough about this vehicle. It definitely has it's cosmetic flaws but I can overlook those considering the money we spent and the fact that it's still going strong. We got a great deal on it!

Great Vehicle with one Flaw
By David Dowling

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this Brand new Sticker price was 42,000.00 Fully loaded Tahoe LT Dark Charcoal Metallic paint pen striped with bowtie Leather moonroof bose 6 cd system rear air liftgate V8 5.3 flex fuel have done very little Still has original brakes changed spark plugs once no major Issues until now Transmission is gone which is the normal for Chevys I have had Silverados since 82 replaced transmission twice in 82 silverado first was warrenty 96 silverado replaced transmission and now this one easily 3,000.00 cost to have it done

200K miles and going strong
By s.amburgey@sbcglobal.net

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I bought a 2004 Z71 Tahoe from the original owner in 2009. After owning the last 6 years, I can say it is the best, most comfortable vehicle I have ever owned. It has 199k miles on it and has only had a few minor issues (1) water pump went out around 140k miles, replaced, (2) began using coolant at a slow rate but no leaks. Mechanic said it was seeping into a cylinder and being burned, recommend I use Alumiseal. I used and it fixed the problem, (3) recently had the "Service Airbag" light come on. I found out the most common problem is corrosion on the front impact sensors. Found a website that explained how to replace them, so I did. Solved the problem.

233K Miles and Still Running Like a Champ!
By DJwazlo

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased our 04' Chevy Tahoe new from the Chevy dealer in 2004 as our daily driver family car and let me tell you, it gets driven every day. It is the base model with cloth interior. Sticker price at the time was $38K. It is now 2015 and we have put over 233,000 miles on this same vehicle and it is still running like a champ with no mechanical issues what so ever. Praise GOD! The only issues we have had are the instrument cluster gauge went out at about 150K miles, which is typical with GM vehicles, and the A/C blower was replaced at around 180K miles. That is it. We have not had any engine or transmission problems of any kind. And to be quite honest we have never had the transmission service done ever on the vehicle like the dealer recommends, just routine oil changes about every 5K - 7K miles, sometimes we have even gone as far as 10K - 12K miles before the next oil change. Just check the fluid levels , (oil, Transmission fluid, coolant, brake fluid) from time to time and that is it. Needless to say I will be getting another Chevy Tahoe when the time comes, my goal is to get 500K miles out of this wonderful 04 Tahoe before that day comes. :)

Transmission Needed Replacement at 81,000
By larryillinois

2004 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Transmission failed at 81,000.
Transmission fluid flushed and transfer case fluid serviced at 47,000 miles by Chevy dealer at a cost of $235.00.
Service representative told me that the seal between the transmission and (I believe he said) the transfer case failed and the transmission fluid went into the transfer case.
Caused transmission fluid to be three quarts low from the internal leak.
Even though no fluid ever leaked out of the vehicle, the GM representative said it was my fault because the transmission fluid should have been checked at each oil change.
The transmission failed while I was driving down the highway.
Total cost of GM remanufactured transmission $3,922 installed.

Build a better transmission or stand behind them when they fail.