Used 2003 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV Consumer Reviews - 202 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:

Great Family Car
By hot mama

2003 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This car has been a great car for our family. We put on a lot of miles traveling all over town and it is for the most part very reiliable. There has only been minor problems with some electrical in this car. like a light won't work one day but will the next. It is extremely comfortable. In 2003 there was no other SUV on the market this roomy or comfortable. We have a Z71 package with a TV and that has also been a great delight for our kids

Comfort, styling, look

Electical problems

Money Pit
By Kiki

2003 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I love my Tahoe, but I have had many problems with it. The intermediate shaft's gone out twice. The actuator for the vent control's going out (will eventually lose control over where the a/c and heat come out). Speedometer cluster went out. Passenger window's getting slow. Steering wheel and driver door sqeak uncontrollably (door bolt costs $100 to fix). Chevy says actuator, intermediat shaft, and speedometer cluster problems are common in Tahoes with this body style. Not sure if I'll ever buy another one. All of the problems have been expensive and made me dislike the car that I once loved. Not worth the money. The new ones would have to be totally different for me to buy one.

Great gas mileage for the size. It's very comfortable to drive and ride in. Roomy and nice looking (inside and out).

Intermediate shaft is the pits. Many mechanical and design flaws that can hinder the likeability/operation of the Tahoe.

2nd SUV
By 2nd SUV

2003 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS Rwd 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I bought the SUV new, and had some initial problems with the locks. It had to be taken to the dealership several times before they finally got the problem fixed. The front end wasn't aligned when I bought the SUV and it took two trips to get that properly aligned. At about 40000 miles, the speedometer quit working and the whole gauge unit had to be rebuilt. It now gets about 2 mpg less than when new. The only other repairs that have been needed is when my son literally drove it through a brick wall. It only had a couple of scratches and dents, and the exterior mirrors had to be replaced; but it was drivable and I made my son drive it until the garage got the parts to fix it.

Room, lots of room. Before this SUV, including a Jeep Grand Cherokee, I needed a trailer to carry everything on a trip. Our first trip with the Tahoe, left me asking, "Is that it?"

Add the 6.0L engine from the 2500HD to the Tahoe, needs more power.

1500,000 miles and Still Going
By TMcCall

2003 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I have had my Z71 Tahoe since I bought it brand new in 2003, and I have yet to change the brakes! Yes, I have triend to get someone to change them and they wouldn't do it becuase they told me the Tahoe didn't need them. Amazing. I owned a silverado before this and the ride difference is huge. I installed a K and N cold air intake system on it and my accelleration is so much better. I travel all over the Southeast driving an average of 30,000 miles/year and this is a chariot. By far the best vehicle I have ever owned. When this one dies on me I will buy another one to last me another 5 years.

Comfertable seats, Bose System, Great A/C and the best highway ride out there (Get Michelin tires)

None

Can't break it with a bat
By Bill

2003 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I have the Z71. Fantastic truck. Rides as well with 63,000 as when new. A couple initial problems, drive shaft replacement, and no shifting back into 2WD, but dealer fixed it, and hasn't been back to the shop in 30,000 miles. Very solid truck. Was rear ended by Ford Econoline loaded with tools doing 35 MPH. Only $3,500 damage, and was still drivable. Glad I was in the Tahoe and not something else. This truck gives me the confidence to take it anywhere in any conditions. I feel this truck will run forever. Foreign vehicles have nothing on this truck.

Seating comfort, heated leather seats, lumbar support, excellent stereo, auto 4WD, sun roof, stylish body panels, solid feel.

More rear leg room. Fold flat 3rd row seats