Used 2002 Chevrolet Tahoe Consumer Reviews - 111 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:

Got it right GM!
By Happy in P-Town

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

GM has their trucks dialed. Yes, I have a "ticking" engine, but hey, so what? After 10 seconds the sound is gone. The engine is strong and sturdy. I love the torque. Smooth, quiet, but there when you need it. Interior finishes are sub-par. Reliability is much better than my BMW X5, which is in the shop every month.

Engine, reliability, exhaust, utility, tranny, great truck (family rig).

Interior materials, flat-folding third row seats, gas mileage, warranty period

Love my Tahoe
By mark

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Seats are wonderful. Power very adequate. Mileage OK considering how much weight you are moving. Comfort and convenience are outstanding.

Front seats.

Lower initial cost. Better warranty. Interior quality could be improved.

Keeping My Fingers Crossed............
By 2nd Tahoe

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I used to own a 1998 Tahoe that I lovingly called the 'White Devil' - anything that could go wrong with it mechanically, did. Regardless, I obviously liked the features enough to buy a 2002. I had an initial scare with less than 5k miles when the transmission went out (I'll let this one slide), but they gave me a loaner and fixed it in no time. 55K miles later it's great! While I have had some problems with the climate control, there have been no more problems with mechanical reliability, all of the accessories are holding together, and the paint quality is outstanding. I plan to keep this car for another 100k miles, so I’m keeping my fingers crossed that the reliability continues.....

Heated seats, cupholders & electrical outlets everywhere, great road trip car.

To nit pick: Lighter. 3rd row seats (they are really heavy & awkward to haul around) or 3rd row seats that fold flat with the floor; programmable rear & side mirrors (along with programmable seat); privacy screen for rear cargo area.

Best SUV
By MikeD

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This vehicle does it all, tow the boat, carry all the friends, or simply ride in comfort. I love this vehicle and the fact that it's very safe! Goes through the gas, but as to be expected with a full-size V-8.

Everything

Get rid of the tape deck, its 2002, no one uses them anymore.

Like a knock, it was loud as it could be
By The knocker

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I've been bitten by the piston slap GM engine at less than 25k miles. The dealership is hesitant to do anything other than give me the "carbon-top runaround." I'd be wary to ever own another GM product. The warranty isn't worth the paper it was written on. At this point the dealers refuse to look at the truck when I tell them that the engine is making noise. Sadly, my next vehicle purchase (Jan 05) will be affected by this unfortunate situation.

The exterior styling is beautiful, to me. I like it more than the new Tahoe. The interior also gets good marks, except no sunglass holder. The fold down seats work better than my previous Yukon.

Replace all the piston-slapping DEFECTIVE engines. The engine should be just as nice as the rest of my $40k truck.The steering has a weird rattle to it. The dealer(s) can not pinpoint it. The auto traction "chickwalks" on dry pavement. I leave it turned off. Stereo is weak.