Used 2002 Chevrolet Tahoe Consumer Reviews - 111 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:

Overall Excellent, couple of quirks
By Dave S

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Amazing that people complain about gas mileage on a large SUV that pulls almost 9,000lbs. I've had my Tahoe for 6 years and will never sell it (I've never kept a car longer than 5 years). ZERO repairs, only maint. The ONLY thing that REALLY bothers me is my Onstar was ANALOG and was canceled a couple years ago by GM with no opportunity to upgrade, even if I paid for it. It WAS one of my favorite features. The most surprising characteristic...the ride! It rides like a car on the highway, very smooth. Power is awesome, and since I avg. 75 on CA freeways, mileage is normal. The AUTO 4wd is superb, trany strong, and the Vortec engines are bulletproof. One of the best vehicles I've ever owned.

RIDE! Heated Seats, Auto 4wd, storage, power outlets (also in rear), flat folding rear seats (HUGE FOR ME), SUPER tight turning circle (EASY PARKING). Door locks at rear of vehicle.

Interior plastics a bit cheap feeling. Can't think of a anything else.

Super vehicle
By noopdog

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Love my Tahoe!! I pull a 20' boat occasionally, and it's a breeze! I'm a big guy (6'4") and I love the roominess. It's also a very comfortable ride, great amenities (all power seats, windows, etc., etc.), pretty good sound system, push-button 4WD. I've garaged it and otherwise tried to maintain it well w/regular service. It has been extremely dependable and very utilitarian (hey, it's a sport "utility" vehicle, right)? If you are in the market for a used but dependable, well-performing, roomy SUV (understanding you won't get Prius mileage, to say the least) and can find one well-maintained, go for it!!

Roomy, nice interior, fully-loaded with amenities (rear A/C, good sound system, all power everything, etc., etc.).

Gas mileage; do something with the headrests on rear seats which, when folded down for cargo carrying, take away a good 6 inches or more from the cargo area.

Run don't walk away
By Corey

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

The transmission went out initially at 75k miles, then again with 97k miles on it (luckily under the 36k warranty). Now with 106k miles on it the flex fuel sensor has gone out, and guess what? It is a dealer only part (quote for $800.00 from dealer to fix) You can buy on-line from GM for about $300.00 vs $500.00 at the dealer (love the markup) All in all I will never own anything from Government Motors again, worst reliability of any vehicle I have ever owned. Which is saying something as I have owned an old IH Scout which lasted longer and caused me less head aches.

Seats are more comfortable then the expedition I now own.

Figure out how to build a transmission that doesn't blow up ever 30k miles.

THE KING OF SUV's
By rodgerdodger90

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 2WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This I think is more reliable than any car i have had or driven. People think the Japanese make the most reliable cars but they don't. This truck has never let me or my family down rain or shine.

Not having to slow down for pot holes or dips is a great way to conserve gas in this truck. versatility, this thing can do anything no questions asked

A flashy dashboard would be nice. Steering column feels too cheap. Automatic lift gate would be cool.

Great American Car
By E85 Guy

2002 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

This is literally the first American-made car that I have ever owned to hit 100,000 miles without any transmission or engine failures. Previously, my Ford Deathstar's engine blew at 74,000 miles, and I became a Chevy fan. I feel confident in driving this car, confident in the quality and reliability.

It runs on E85, thank God! My Tahoe runs on less gasoline than a Toyota Prius or Honda Civic. Granted, it might be a "corn guzzler," but very little Middle East oil in this SUV. I love the space, the seats, the engine, etc.

Better gas mileage would be good. I'd be interested in the Tahoe hybrid, if it didn't cost $12,000 more than the regular Tahoe.