Used 2001 Chevrolet Tahoe Consumer Reviews - 79 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Chevrolet Tahoe

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:

Awesome SUV
By rv9flyer

2001 Chevrolet Tahoe 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

We drive approx 30,000 miles a year and this has been one great SUV. After 130,000 miles, the only thing I have had to replace is the water pump at 60,000 miles. Very low maintenance. I put in a K&N air filter. We get about 17-18 mpg on highway and average about 16.5 all around. Can feel a bit more power on takeoff from the new airfilter. Brakes have been awesome. I replaced the front brakes at 110,000 miles and they still had over 1/2 their pad left!

Brake life, lazy boy comfy front seats, rear cargo area room is huge

Put aftermarket speakers in due to poor quality of OEM ones.

Tahoe
By MMoran

2001 Chevrolet Tahoe 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

The Chevy Tahoe is an excellent SUV, great for families and has been a wonderful car for trips. I would definitely buy this vehicle again! Very reliable, it has never failed to get us to our destination and is very easy to maintain.

4WD and the room for all the kids and their friends.

Not bad but not good either.
By truck owner

2001 Chevrolet Tahoe 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I have been the original owner of my 2001 Chevy Tahoe Z71. I have had minimal trouble with it. I now have 100,000 miles on it and am starting to expeience some difficulties. The window motors are starting to burn up and the windshield washer motors are starting to crack and fail due to freezing. I have concerns about the transmission. It has been known to slip and I am the last one of all of my friends that has not had the transmission rebuilt. I have done all regular maintenance and I change the oil every 500 miles. My complaints are not with fuel mileage as I have the 5.3L motor and I average 15-16 mpg and I have more room than a 4Runner that get about the same mileage. Poor handling!

I guess the exterior looks are my favorite feature. It could use more power.

It could use a 5 speed transmission and better handling. It could also use a better seating arrangement. I do not have the rear seats because they are useless for adults and the Sequoia has much more room in the rear seat. I would like to have a bench seat in the front so I could fit six if neded

Fun vehicle and feels big
By TD

2001 Chevrolet Tahoe 2WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I bought it used because this one was in new condition, still is. It has most of what I wanted, but this particular vehicle needs traction control aka positraction. It's hard to get started fast from a stop without a lot of wheelspin. I just installed some wider 18" wheels and tires which might help. The gas mileage is poor but no worse than other Tahoe models. We use it for recreation mostly because we didn't really need to buy it. When we have a day off or two that's the car we take on trips. I still like the style better than the 2007 model which looks like the HD Chev PU with a Ford Expedition hanging on the back. Also I like the interior more than the 2007.

It's big but not too big like a Suburban. It still is "cool". It's fun and easy to drive. And it is fast enough to get going when you want to. It's the perfect police patrol car! Big, high, and intimidating!

Positraction. If the big wide tires don't help, I'll get a posi unit installed.

Powerhouse with style
By Jason

2001 Chevrolet Tahoe 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Some say the interior looks dated, I say it looks fine. Now that it is about 5+ years old, no one can believe it has 60,000 miles, it looks new. I am a very maintenance concious though. I wax every 3 months, and wash every week. I definitely do routine oil change.

A ton of power. Best in it's class for gas milage for a v8, so I won't complain. Killer dual air / heat works very well. Ride is spectacular. Radio is decent. Subwoofer adds kick.

Chevy has had its problems with power window regulators. I had 3 replaced so far to the tune of 896.00. Thankfully I bought the extended warranty, so I paid nothing. Multi CD player would be really nice, or even an MP3 option.