Used 2001 Chevrolet Tahoe Consumer Reviews - 79 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Chevrolet Tahoe

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:

All Good Except Suspension!!
By damagg13

2001 Chevrolet Tahoe 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I purchased this 01 Tahoe used in 05 with about 50k on it. Everything has been great, added a dual exhuast along with a k&n filter for a 2-3 mpg increase. Other than that the truck is stock. Mechanically the truck is still in good shape,(engine and trans) but everything else in the car is LOOSE, LOOSE,LOOSE! Steering is awful, and the suspension has not been unfixable! The "autoride" feature has to be the worst automotive engineering mistake ever! Air compressors don't last and shocks are about $400 per unit. Granted the truck is 10 yrs old from build date, but you can't even cure suspension issues without spending thousands!

Size of vehicle, practicality, mpg is very good for a large truck avg 16 city 21 hwy. perfect size for any task at hand without needing a commercial plate.

Build quality is awful. Ever piece of plastic makes noise during city driving. Banish the "air ride" If I want to feel like I am on air I'll get in a plane!! More towing Power

Z71 Off Road
By Hunter

2001 Chevrolet Tahoe 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

We absolutely love our Tahoe!! We bought it in November 2009 knowing it had a few problems from the previous owner's neglect. But after maintenance and repair, it runs fantastic!! I would definitely recommend this truck to anyone looking for a full sized SUV.

Ride, handling, seat comfort, room, sunroof, the dashboard message center, auto dimming mirrors, power, fuel economy (I got 20mpg on the highway a couple of times), towing capacity, 4wd, and the automatic locking rear differential to name a few!

The flip up glass on the rear hatch (a few of my friends have had to replace it due to faulty hinges), and firmer feeling brakes.

Great Puller or commuter
By Mike of Mille Lacs

2001 Chevrolet Tahoe 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

Purchased 01 Tahoe ls 4wd in may of 2009, had 110k mi on it then, has roughly 136k on it now (2/2010) have gotten 18.5 mpg w/out load going 65 mph during the summer on the highway with no stops. I love the truck. Love the tow haul, stopping w/out elec. Brakes is hard with a 3,000 lb boat/trailer behind you, wish Chevy would have put a little bigger rotors in. Mechanically since I have owned I have replaced washer fluid pump, and power steering pump went out (quite rare I hear). Wheels are corroding a little but hey its Minnesota they use salt. If someone asked my opinion about getting this vehicle, I would 100% without question tell them to go for it.

Auto 4x4 button, push button 4wd in general, split rear door instead of lift glass like newer vehicles, power of motor, tow/haul button too.

Cd player! Skips off and on here and there, short little skips as I go over what I consider little bumps on hwy! Skid plate over oil pan. Interior is kinda cheap looking

Still Happy after 8 years
By Sally

2001 Chevrolet Tahoe 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

I love my Tahoe! It's the first vehicle I've owned that was my choice alone. Outside of normal maintenance, only the pump in the reservoir for the windshield cleaner has needed to be replaced. This thing handles like a car, slipping effortlessly into parking places and turning easily. After all this time, it still draws compliments.

Appearance, smooth ride, plenty of passenger room, and cargo space.

The only downside is that I have to plan ahead when I'll be needing the 3rd row seats. They need to fold away; not be entirely removed.

By Comparison
By carruthers

2001 Chevrolet Tahoe 4WD 4dr SUV (4.8L 8cyl 4A)

My wife drives a Pathfinder of the same year and mine has 87,000 more miles and my tahoe has less wrong with it, better overall cosmetic look inside and outside. The Tahoe is timeless. For this generation its hard to tell who has an old one and who has a new one. By the way, the fuel economy isn't much different between the tahoe and pathfinder and the Tahoe is much heavier.

Rear air condtioner. Elbow room.

the door panels are little creaky for my taste. Factory rims and tires look a little small for such a big truck.