Used 1999 Chevrolet Tahoe Consumer Reviews - 91 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:

They don't make them like they use to!
By BigRed1

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have a 99 Tahoe Z71 powered by a LT1/340hp V8 (Yes, its original). Rear axle seals have always been a problem. Finally had to replace the axles. Brakes a huge problem; finally replaced with "greenstuff brakes", the jury is still out on that verdict. Transmission and engine still real strong after 121k miles. It's all the small stuff; power steering pump, alternator, fuel pump. However, try to tow 8000 pounds with your Toyota over the PA mountains! Gas mileage is 14/17. I can only use super unleaded fuel. I had to replace the entire exhaust system because both cats went out at 90k miles. Absolutely crazy; cats usually outlast the vehicle.

340 horsepower; the heated seats are like volcano strength; with fuel flowmaster exhaust and K&N FIPK, the engine really roars.

BRAKES! Try something else. Supercharge the engine.

Sad to see go
By john

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV

My experience with this vehicle was very good. It held up very well. We had only minor service or mechanical problems, nothing out of the norm.

We enjoyed the comfortable ride and the visibility. It was roomy.

The brakes were soft. We never had a problem, but had to move the pedal a long distance to get it to stop.

Trouble Free Service
By DaveTV

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

My Tahoe has been a wonderful truck. I bought it with 6000 miles and 119,000 miles later it continues to satisfy. The only repair work has been brakes at 80,000 and a fuel pump at 124,000. The car has yet to need a tune up and is still on the original CV joint boots up front. The Tahoe is very comfortable and easy to handle with a relatively short turning radius. The truck has been a great tow vehicle for my fairly heavy 19' ski boat. The 5.7 Vortec with OD tranny performs well while turning in a respectable 17 MPG on the highway. No plans to unload this one anytime soon.

The driveability and ride is great. The 4WD system has performed well when called upon. My wife loves the heated leather seats. The eight speaker CD sound system kicks butt.

Some of the exterior trim (door handles) could be beefed up. The drivers side handle craked but is still functional. No other complaints come to mind.

No Probs So Far...knock on wood.
By CrowneRoyal

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have only had my Tahoe for 8 weeks, but I must say that it is a better vehicle so far than any of my past cars. I love the way that the TV folds down at the punch of a button, therefore the kids can watch TV or play a game without my having to pull over to turn it on. The gas mileage had a lot to improve on, however, I was told that 12-15 mpg was normal for a truck of this size. I look forward to having my truck for many years to come.

Motorized television, gaming system, VCP, heated front seats, towing package, separate radio for back seat passengers

GAS MILEAGE------------The more the better!

1999 Tahoe
By Todd Neu

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV

Neat simple exterior design. Would
change the tailgate to that of a
Suburban (2 opening doors). Peppy
engine for a SUV.

350 CI V8, Dual AC. Very Good Stock sound system

Door handles need to be more rugged. Broke 2 within 1 year.