Used 1999 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV Consumer Reviews - 91 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:

It won't die
By Marine Vet

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased in 2003 used with 38,000 miles and just turned 147,000. This vehicle makes several trips per year to various location of 1000 to 2000 miles in distance. It is like driving in your favorite lounge chair sitting in your living room. Even at 147,000, with regular care it still averages 18- 19 mpg on trips. Replaced fuel pump, alternator and had Major tune up at 95,000 and rebuilt rear end and axles due to bearing wear. After looking at new and "slightly?" used replacements, I will drive this one till it won't move any more. (300,000 maybe?)

Comfortable interior, plenty of room (6'2" and 270 lbs) decent gas mileage for the engine and vehicle weight. Come on people, when you by a 2 1/2 ton, 4 wheel dr, V-8 and complain about the mileage, maybe it's not the vehicle for you.

Good LUCK slowing this rig down!
By 5700Power

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Wow, Outside of routine maintenance and a fuel pump, I have NEVER been stranded and have never had an ounce of trouble. Tows with authority, Cruises the highway with ease and is more comfortable than just about anything out there! Electronics are top notch, Mileage is FAR better than I expected... 21 on a long highway trip. 15 pulling a 5,000 lb boat. (NOTE Only gets 6-7 in town) Ten years old and showing no signs of slowing at 140,000 miles. This truck has a place in my garage forever. Leather shows no wear, no rust (even under the doors) just a bullet proof monster that does ANYTHING you ask. Bought it at 40k and now has 140... I bet i can get 350,000+

It LOOKS like a truck and handles like a sports car. Power to spare even hitting the gas at 80. Turning radius is better than my taurus! Great highway mileage! HUGE comfortable interior. QUIET... on and on and on. Still looks good today!

Cup holder in the dash is in front of the heater duct... yeah stupid I know. Passenger door creeks... cant make it stop, even after replacing the springs and hinges. Fuel pumps quit with NO warning... and they are expensive!

Satisfied after reading your problems
By satisfied

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought mine used to tow a loaded car hauler all over the country. I have driven it places I won`t take my big 4x4. It now has 240000 miles and still going. Regular maintenance on schedule. Never had any major problems untill this year. Radiator, water pump ,and fan all decided to commit suicide within a two month period. The mechanic that replaced everything was amazed at the condition under the circumstance of the heavy duty usuage. Everything was factory except alt., batt., brakes,the usual maintenance parts. One rear axle is going bad and I will be replacing it this week. I have driven this through creeks with water up to the doors and up and down mountains fully loaded. I won`t have anything else.

Plenty of room. Comfortable. Drives well, and pulls well. Goes anywhere I want to take it.

More power. Better brakes. Better rear end. Move ash tray to more usuable spot. Raise vent tubes for rear end, front end, and transmission. Accesory wiring for fog lights, driving and back up lights, winch, power source to recharge batteries on trailer. Lower the price so I can buy a newer one.

Tahoe is the alpha dog of SUVs
By Bob

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I have to say my Tahoe LT (fully loaded) has been a great, great, vehicle. Drivetrain and 5.7 Vortec engine delivers. Plenty of room for people and my Siberian Husky in the back too (who loves the rear A/C) Aggressive BF Goodrich All Terrain T/As (functionally large but not monster truck silly) make Tahoe the big dog in the yard. A balanced truck with Bilstein gas charged shocks that rides like a dream on or off the road. Love the 4WD, towing capabilities, and the heated leather seats. I may not get the best gas mileage at $4.35/gal for Premium, but the power is there when I need it, and will safely win the physics game in the unfortunate event there is a collision.

Outstanding visibility, massive size, large comfy interior, power and road accelleration to spare. Drivetrain is robust and reliable. Easy to maintain, and easy access to engine. In winter storms, This big dog leads the sled team while the other SUV's sit on the sidleine (or spinning their wheels)

GM needs to improve the plastic intake manifold design so that it is not prone to gasket leakage (leads to coolant issues). Luckily, it was under warranty.

Chevy on top
By tmacmvp1

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV

I bought my Tahoe about 3 years ago in a as-is condition. It had 80k miles on it at the time. It now has 130k miles. I'm telling you, when I'm driving this truck I feel like the king of the road. Its 5.7 engine chugs the gas but trully delivers when need to. Only problem I had was a bad fuel pump. It had problems turning on when the motor was cold. little by little it got worst until finally I replaced it. cost me $255 with labor (got a deal). Other than that it is comfortable and very roomy! I'm 19 so that actually comes really in handy on the weekends lol. Just being a teenager sorry for the comment. Very good design and reliable at the same time.

Bulky exterior design, many aftermarket parts that you can purchase for this vehicle, leaving customization without boundries. Chrome bumpers. Spacy, roomy interior and cargo space in the back. Some people say the brakes are bad but I actually think it has really good brakes.

Fuel pumps cannot go out so easily. Mechanics recommend to not let your fuel go below 1/4 in your tank. Knowing that the mpg is horrible, you shouldnt have to hit the gas stations sooner then you need to.