Used 1999 Chevrolet Tahoe Consumer Reviews - 91 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:

Good Hauler But Had to Go
By rangermutt

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my '99 Tahoe 4x4 LT used in 2001 with 64,000 miles for less than 1/2 what it sold new. I traded it in this summer with 154,000 after I got tired of replacing parts for the second or third time including: Anti lock brakes went out at 60,000; driver window motor 3x; driver outside door handle 3x; blower fan; intake manifold gasket; air conditioner pump; power steering sensor 2x; radiator; water pump; vanity mirror; console latch; distributor rotor 6x (I was stranded on the interstate last Thanksgiving when the rotor failed again). The straw that broke the camel's back was a misfire on the #4 cylinder that neither I nor the dealer could remedy.

Leather interior, barn doors, towing capability, cargo room.

How about anti-lock brakes that work when the 4 wheel drive is engaged? When you need it the most they don't even function. One of Chevy's dirty little secrets.

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT
By carguy03

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 2dr SUV 4WD

I had a 1999 Chevy Tahoe LT with the 5.7L V8 with the 4 speed automatic transmission. I purchased it in October of 2010, and it had 246K miles. It was lost in an accident in December 2010 due to brake failure. While I drove it, it was a very comfortable ride, and it was good to drive in the West Virginia weather. My father had a 1996 Chevrolet Tahoe LT as well, I thought that the '96 had better power, but it was sold in November 2010. I would reccomend this vehicle to anyone.

I liked that the vehicle had a luxourious interior, and the vehile was a very reliable one.

I didn't like the brake system, they are the reason why it is now totalled.

My Chevy Tahoe
By me2uguys

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased in 2004 from original owner. No major repairs until 2006, new alternator. 2009 New Intake Gasket. This truck had 87K miles when I purchased it. It now has 275K miles and she's still driving like she did when I bought it. I am now in the process of new shocks, but its done its job and more since I first bought it six years ago! Great, safe SUV, lots of room and I have towed horses with my truck and it still is doing fine. Highly recommended.

Split bench seat with cloth interior and lumbar seating in front! Nice on long trips! Four wheel drive in those Minnesota winters. Hardy vehicle.

Rear a/c in all.

Not a bad vehicle so far
By devman

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

This truck has been in the family since new, my mom owned it until last year when I took it over. It has approximately 97k on it and we have never had any major issues. The heated seats have burnt out, and the seats themselves only recline to one position, fortunately that position works for me. The inside is comfortable, I am 6'4" so the headroom is a big plus for me. It has a terrible meandering problem, which I now understand to be a weak point in the idler/pitman/ball joints. I am considering upgrading to some performance parts after I take care of the steering, and doing a much needed change of shocks.

Love the opportunity to upgrade parts, never had a customizable vehicle before. The room and the authority on the road (especially in the winter, 4-wheel drive works great.) I love the looks of this truck, even more when it's clean!

The seats are comfy, but made for shorter people, and the heated seat's power transistor burns out so easy (this is a very common problem.) All the doors need to have hinges replaced, which I think is ridiculous. I feel that is has sub-par gas mileage, but I am used to driving a car.

Unstopable. Period.
By Rjh6000

1999 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I love how from the back of the front seats to the front bumper, every single part of this rig is a SILVERADO. This thing is tough as nails, having towed trailers over 10,000 lbs more times than i can count, countless trips across the country at 85+mph speeds... I have replaced a battery, tires and brake pads. Gets between 17 and 21 MPG depending on drive. (gets 5 in town though) at 187,000 miles, can still do a wicked burnout! Its a loaded LT with the locking differential and manual transfer case. I have driven through snow past the front bumper and it just keeps going. (Michelin LTX MS's help) and its still smooth and quiet. Everything works. Like a Rock.

No bones about it, its silverado underpinnings through and through. Very Fast, Efficient, Air conditioning will freeze you out of the truck. Heater will make hell look cold. Leather is soft and tough. Bose stereo is stellar!

What is with the cup holder in front of the largest HVAC vent in the truck? Very sick of cold beverages getting hot and hot ones getting cold.