Used 1997 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV Consumer Reviews - 66 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:

I Can't Complain
By BiggWaukegan

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Rectently bought my '97 Tahoe Lt 4 door 4wd with 122,000 miles on it. This is the best vechile I've ever owned hands down. Very comfortable, a nice powerful Vortec 5700 motor suits it well. I've got a nice high ride, nice comfort inside and plenty of room for the kids. I live in the Chicago area so the weather here can get rough. But with the push button 4wd were ready. This truck is true Chevy. Love it. Got a great deal on it too. Under $6000.

Interior luxury. Roomy as can be. Powerful motor. Ride

No cupholder by heater vent. Heated seats. Dual power seats. Better gas mileage

Go Chevy
By mr.paradise

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 2dr SUV

I purchased my Tahoe in '02 w/74k. She was a 1 owner with a fresh tranny! This SUV is the bomb! Done the average repairs: fuel pump, pittman arm, brakes and rotors. Rides great @75mph. Just remember it is a heavy SUV! You can not drive it like a car and expect the same results. (brakes, fuel economy,maintenance) My tank- Tahoe is holding its own at 167,000 miles with no signs of engine problems. If you are going to buy used, forget Ford and Dodge. Go Chevy

Leather seats. Smooth ride. Super cargo room.

A true "LEMON"
By Disgruntled Owner

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LS 4dr SUV

I've always been a Chevy person. I owned their full size & compact Blazers, 1500 pickup & two extended cab trucks before throwing my money away on the Tahoe-Lemon. To test drive the Tahoe is to 'want' the Tahoe... roomy interior, smooth ride, just the right size. Unfortunately, to own the Tahoe is to 'be broke'. Poor mpg (less than sticker indicates) & Constant Repair! I have replaced the tranny, starter, alt, water & fuel pumps, windshield wiper moter (recall), front interior door handles, passenger seat belt assembly clasp/lock, idler arm, brakes & rotors several times, & plug sets too many times to count. Steering scensors fail on/off as do electronics, interior plastics are now breaking.

Roomy interior (no one in my family is under 6'), front bucket seats are very cumfy, large cargo area, smooth ride and tight turning radius.

Outside of making it mechanically sound so that every part doesn't have to be replaced I'd have to suggest that the dash-board drink holders be moved from in front of the air vents, redesign back-row doors to allow windows ro roll down more than 4 inches, and add rear windshield wiper(s).

Professional grade?
By Wobblerite

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Reliability has been low in history of this vehicle. Fuel pump at 33K, water hose quick connect corroded and broken at 40K, tranny died at 55K, Driver door handle breaking at 60K, Alternator @65K, windshield wiper circuit board @70K. Had Delco battery leak acid that destroyed battery cables. Parts counter at Chevy dealer recommended I get another brand because he had a room full of leaking batteries and Delco did nothing to redesign to prevent problem. With all this no wonder the term of endearment for this vehicle starts with "piece of". Now that everything has been replaced it runs great and I intend to keep for some time as tow vehicle for boat.

Love the clean body style and roomy interior with well laid out instrument cluster.

Standard headlights are not bright enough and low beams should stay on when high beams are on, not an either or proposition.

By ahunn

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I've had a great experience with my 97 Tahoe. We're selling to make room for a Volvo wagon now that we have a baby, but if I could, I would have held onto this truck for another 20 years. Gas mileage is not the best, but reliable and safe.