Used 1997 Chevrolet Tahoe Consumer Reviews - 66 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:

Great Truck
By Andy

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

The best truck I've ever owned. Its very reliable, great for road trips, towing, getting around in the snow etc. I bought it with 130k and now it has 170k. I had to replace the intake manifold gasket and have the transmission rebuilt but, other than that its been small cheap stuff. One of the best things about owning one of these is parts are plentiful and cheap. It doesn't get great gas mileage (12-15) but, its a V8 Truck. I would rather put extra money in the tank than have $1k repair bills on a vehicle that only a dealer can work on.

Very comfortable interior, the power, the room, the ease and relatively cheap expense of purchasing and owning. I love the interior layout, it has all the features I want, its simple, and not overdone.

Nothing that I can think of, they're great trucks. You can't complain about certain things that need to be replaced at 130k+ miles. Luckily all the parts and labor are relatively cheap .

True American Design
By hatcman

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought this truck because it is simply the best design chevy ever came out with along with the infamous 5.7 power house. I think this truck is more reliable then my past too brand new trucks, no problems, and it rides so good. I have room for family despite it is a two door but a little elbow grease and you will get in the back. Anyone thinking of purchasing one of these you will be very pleased i think, and I just hit 182,000 miles this morning and its still trucking.

Powerful, Roomy, Stylish, Strong.

Fuel mileage is not the best and be ready too drop about 75.00 to fill it from empty. The cup holders up front were a great design but they were put in front of the air vents so unless you like hot Dr.Pepper or cold coffee then its a pain.

Tahoe Breakhoe
By Tahoe Crap

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Where do I start? I got mine 11-24-1998 and if I wasn't a very mechanical guy I would've gone mad by now. It would be a great vehicle if it wasn't breaking all the time. The list of things that broke are: Fuel-pump at 40K, Intake manifold gaskets 2X, Transmission at 80K, Front rotors continually warp- inadequately-braked vehicle, Water pump, Radiator, Interior plastic parts galore-Sun visor vanity mirrors R/L, Right side electric mirror, Alternator 3X, Rear cargo door strap, Rear speaker, Paint on hood and top shot, Dog tracking problem, Grill plastic parts are all breaking, Wiper pulse board. I am a bit remiss to not remember everything. If I ever sell it, it will have everything corrected.

Ride Comfort, Exterior Styling. Easy to get parts for, but hey, when there are so many of them and they all break, lots of vendors make parts for them.

Take a lesson from the Japanese. I've taken Toyotas and Hondas apart and they are far superior in quality. But then, most people don't realize that GM purposely builds their vehicles with breakage in mind. In engineering it's called MTBFR (Meantime Between Failure Rate.) It's all in the materials.

The Hoe
By Sgt Gahring

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe 2dr SUV 4WD

I bought the hoe and ever since I've loved it. Awesome horsepower with a few upgrades, "headers, K and N air filter, performance exhaust." With a fuel system flush and tranny flush I have gotten better fuel economy but for the ponies its pushing I'm ok with it. It's awesome for mudding and pull offs. But if working the overdrive transmission it needs a BG tranny flush and the conditioner for protection. I've had to do regular maintenance but what vehicle doesn't need it. If your looking for fun go with General Motors.

The POWER is AWESOME! I love the whole way this vehicle was built and designed. Its perfect for offroading witch is what ford cant do with the explorer, and isn't that bad on gas, unlike the dodge durango getting a boosting 8mpgs.

I would say increase the gear ratio to raise the mpgs but then it would be more difficult to offroad.

One of the last of the GOOD Trucks!
By PHXGuy

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 2dr SUV 4WD

This is one of the greatest vehicles I have ever owned. Mine, though it has 150K miles, was extremely well cared for. Safe, reliable, fun to drive, easy to park(tight turning radius)and there really is no substitute for a Chevy 350 V8!! Mileage is better than I expected; 16+mpg around town. (has aftermarket air filter) I've owned 3 Suburbans and never ot more than about 12mpg with them. Of course that was in my younger, heavy foot days! (and cheap gas)Its a classy looking truck and somewhat rare to find in the 2door body style. I agree with another reviewer here.. ..If you can find one of these in good condition, BUY IT! They don't make them like this anymore. A true classic!

Fun to drive.  Perfect size.  Tight turning radius(easy to drive and park) Solid quality construction.Timeless body style.

Plastic headlamp lenses fade, yellow and restrict light output.. ...VERY counter-productive! Maybe this is just a Phoenix issue with our harsh sun?