Used 1997 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV Consumer Reviews - 65 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:

Love it...but oh my!
By garihee

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 2dr SUV 4WD

Love this car for its great lines, 350, availability of aftermarket parts and its ability to move in the snow. Unfortunately, we're on our 4th transmission; this one a warranty replacement for the new one we put in when the second one went south.

The next time it eats a set of rotors I'm going to spend some real money and buy a pair that should last. There's also a sensor in the power steering that goes sour routinely and makes for some exciting wheel play on snow and ice and is in fact, a serious liability.

Anyway, glad to have mine and no intention of letting it go; it's one of tomorrow's classics!

Clean lines and the 350.

GM should have stepped up to the transmission troubles. Shame on them for not accepting responsibility for a manufactered flaw.

In Praise of Old Friends
By wcrisler

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

What a kick it is to read these reviews of this truck, which I've owned since 1999. Driven under every possible condition imaginable -- long distance, short hauls, towing trailers, through deserts, over mountains, in blizzards, on- and off- road, it's been through several girl friends, two wives and three kids and 258,130 miles. Sure, it's needed repairs, just like me, including all those listed by "Disgruntled Owner", but there it is, still ready to take me wherever I want to go, without a complaint, like it has for over a decade. It's like an old hat, so comfortable you forget you're wearing it. It's my home, my refuge, wherever I go. Every inch evokes memories. Some of me will die with it

Great Vehicle
By SS-ZULU

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I am a 56 youthful year old male, living in New Jersey and who regularly travels to North Carolina with the comfort and reliability of my 1997 Tahoe. Also, I own a 1986 & 1987 Mercedes Benz 560 SEL, but when I leave to go to work or travel, it's my 1997 Tahoe that receives the assignment. Did I mention that I stand @ 6 1/2 feet tall and enjoy full comfort of leg and height room. Power is good and fuel economy presents no discouragement for a daily driver. Clean and sleek body lines on my midnight blue Tahoe, demands road and curb appeal and evening relooks upon entering my home at days end. If you own one, my comments are understandable, if you do not, it's an experience at your lost. BYE BYE !

another Junk Chevy
By ken

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 2dr SUV 4WD

I have done nothing but put money into this lemon and I only have 95k on my 97 because it is in the shop as much as on the road Alternator tranny calipers disks master brake cylinder twice anti lock brake sensor seat release on back seat radio died lights on dash most burnt out, power steering pump, and NOW head is crack what junk!!!! I will fix it an NEVER buy a Chevy again....

Great Truck
By Andy

1997 Chevrolet Tahoe SUV LT 4dr SUV 4WD

The best truck I've ever owned. Its very reliable, great for road trips, towing, getting around in the snow etc. I bought it with 130k and now it has 170k. I had to replace the intake manifold gasket and have the transmission rebuilt but, other than that its been small cheap stuff. One of the best things about owning one of these is parts are plentiful and cheap. It doesn't get great gas mileage (12-15) but, its a V8 Truck. I would rather put extra money in the tank than have $1k repair bills on a vehicle that only a dealer can work on.

Very comfortable interior, the power, the room, the ease and relatively cheap expense of purchasing and owning. I love the interior layout, it has all the features I want, its simple, and not overdone.

Nothing that I can think of, they're great trucks. You can't complain about certain things that need to be replaced at 130k+ miles. Luckily all the parts and labor are relatively cheap .