Used 1996 Chevrolet Tahoe Consumer Reviews - 47 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1996 Chevrolet Tahoe

View reviews for a specific Tahoe model:

Good as new!
By Butch

1996 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV

I bought my '96 Tahoe, 4 door 2 wheel drive LT, brand new. It was easily the best vehicle of its type at the time. And I think it is still the best vehicle of its type after all these years. Masculine look. Heavier than the new SUV's that get blown around in the wind. It is a "truck"! I have used Mobil 1 5w30 Syn in it since about 25,000 miles. It now has over 130,000 miles. The inside of the engine looks like new. It does not use any oil. I have went as many as 8,000 miles between oil changes, but never more than a year. Mobil 1 fluids also in the transmission and rear end. Also syns in the brakes and steering pump. Valvoline. Truck still looks and drives almost like new. 22 mpg highway.

Big seats. Big space for legs. Big space in rear for stuff. With seat down more room than any other SUV, period. I am 6'1 and can sleep completely stretched out on a perfectly flat surface with the rear seats down.

At 100,000 miles replaced the upper manifold gasket, fuel injectors, water pump, alternator, battery, hoses, belt, O-ring for oil filter bracket, spark plugs & wires & cap, brake pads. Fuel filter every 15 to 20,000 miles. Spray throttle body cleaner twice a year and mass cleaner. Runs like new.

The best SUV I have ever owned/driven
By mike

1996 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4dr SUV 4WD

I have only had my Tahoe for about a month. I've towed with it, used it for work and just driving with my family. I'm 25 yrs old and even the way I drive the truck still rides great, handles perfect, and I'm getting over 19mpg. Since the truck was used and had 168k miles on it when I bought it, it was really taken care of. The interior is luxury especially for a workable SUV.

Sound system, storage, and power

The only improvement I could see is stiffer rear suspension

Favorite Vehicle
By Dave

1996 Chevrolet Tahoe LT 4dr SUV 4WD

I regret having to sell this truck mostly due to the gas prices nowadays. Me being over 6'0 tall, I really do appreciate all the room this truck offers. I have not yet had any type of major engine problem (only replaced the water pump and alternator recently) and the engine still runs smooth. I really encourage anyone who does not have to drive long distances regularly and have kids then look at getting one too. Especially if you live in a winter or rugged enviornment.

The LT trim is definitely the way to go. Leather interior, CD and casette, privacy glass, and did I mention the interior room?

Not much more can be added that hasn't already.

Best trucks on the road
By alphaecho4386

1996 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Absolutely love this truck. I've always wanted a Tahoe, amazing room, excellent power, parts are easy to find, and just really nifty features like the underhood reel light, and storage box. I go to college and even though gas just ain't cheap, I never complain. This truck is just worth every penny. Gas mileage is not too bad for a full size truck. My friends and I take "the bus" whenever we head out as everything, and one, can fit in it. It works great around town, the turning radius and sight lines are excellent. And on the highway it hauls and cruises down the road. It's scarily fun to drive this 5k pound rig!

350 small block, build quality, gas mileage, the ballroom sized trunk, small turning radius, parts available and cheap (do it yourselfer), very safe and sound, comfortable.

The notorious problems like tranny failures and intake gaskets but really that's it.

Love this car
By BigBrit66

1996 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 2dr SUV 4WD

As others have said, this too was my first car. Being a typical high school kid this car took a beating, now I am older it is still reliable and I have had few problems with it. One thing I will say is that GM does not build very good drive trains, but the rest of the car makes up for this. It handles great on the road, and unlike most SUV's has very minimal body roll, it can also tow plenty and remain stable. The Z71 editions are great for offroad, decent ground clearnace and skid-plates help, I have taken mine to Moab many times and it works great. Bottom line is these things keep going and going, as long as they are maintained. I have 150K on mine!

Interior space, horse power, and handling.

More durable transmissions, electrical system could be more heavy duty. Also if you buy one of these invest in an aftermarket air intake it will really help your milage, and power.