Used 2005 Chevrolet Suburban Consumer Reviews - 75 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Suburban

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

LIke it
By Jay

2005 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS Rwd 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I like this vehicle, I prefer a 4wd but the cost kept me out of it. I enjoy the space and the acceleration, however when hammering it the gas gauge moves quickly to empty. The vehicle is better in traffic than the reviews let on.

Blind Spots in the front right. Diffrent mirror controls.

Big Block could tow my house!
By shenandoah75

2005 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I had nothing but problems with an 2003 LS C2500 with the 6.0 engine - mostly electrical. Sold it just prior to going out of warranty and went with this as it's replacement. GM can engineer a vehicle - they are awesome at at. But they still have quality problems no matter what they're marketing department puts out in commercials (esp in these vehicles out of Mexico). Air Bag connectors, EBMC (brake controleer), axle seals... We're tlaking basic components here. Quality asside, the 2500 is a niche vehicle meant not for soccer moms, but for families with serious towing/hauling needs. And that it does well, the 8.1 flies even with interior filled and pulling 6000 lbs behind it.

8.1L Big Block, 4x4, seating for 9, 10K- 12K lbs towing capacity, DIC info center

Fix the quality issues: these problems are crazy on a 40K+ vehicle. Get rid of the cheap plastic that stains easy Offer the diesel - now that ford dropped the Excursion, GM should corner this market again, why so long to figure out how to fit the Duramax / Allison in here?

King of the road
By harry

2005 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This truck drives very nicely in highway crusing. My family loves it, especially for long distance travel. DVD makes trip a lot short. The size makes it feel like the king of the road. Money-can't-buy confidence knowing that my family will be safer than most other people riding in many other types of cars.

Size, folding mirrors, DVD, 3-zone auto AC, 6-CD Bose sound system. OnStar satellite phone. Toughness of the truck. Relative low height and wide wheel span

Backing rear view camera/sensor.

Just love it
By harry

2005 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought the Z71 for the safety, size, and comfort. I have been rearended several times and as an structural engineer, I know when it comes to collision, the only thing it really matters is the size. I view the extra gas I paid as the cost of buying the life insurance for my family. For insurance, I get nothing, for Suburban, my family gets to enjoy the ride everyday. There is just nothing like driving/riding in a big truck. I love it.

Everything

05 Suburban-cross country tested
By KF

2005 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I drove my new LT from Mass to Colo and then Calif and back to Colo then home while visiting my 2 daughters for 4 weeks, and it performed flawlessly in all weather for 6,850 miles, and got 17.9 MPG for entire trip. I noticed front tires had inner edge scuffing when I returned and Dealer determined car was out of alignment from factory, so they aligned it at 9K miles and put two new tires on under warranty. I am very pleased with how it rides and handles.

Power folding mirrors, (I had one broken at a carwash on older Subby..not cheap to get fixed) numbered keyfobs that recall your seating presets, stabilitrak/auto ride keeps car from leaning while cornering. Tri zone A/C & Heat, Dvd player, comfortable ride, and good handling-it'sfun to drive this!

Hard to close last door unless I slam it with all windows closed (too airtight). I added backup camera system for $850. They shd offer it when new for this monster. I wish the gas tank was still 40 gals like my '99 GMC Subby. I often had to gas up 2 times per day on my cross country trip.