Used 2004 Chevrolet Suburban SUV Consumer Reviews - 140 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Suburban SUV

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

A good 1
By Sub Man

2004 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Our Suburban has served us well, with little complaints.The gas mileage is great for an SUV of its size.Handles winter weather like a dream and is smooth as a BMW. Backing up is challenging and takes some getting used to.

Fog lamps,running boards,rear A/C controls,rear audio and DVD,on-ramp pick-up

4 DVD headsets instead of 2,4WDhi and 2WD mode would be nice instead of auto 4WD, rear back-up camera should be standard

Great SUV
By johnv100

2004 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Just bought a used Suburban with only 45K miles to tow my boat and haul the kids. So far, my family and I love it. The gas mileage is not very good (avg 13.5 mpg), but no one's buying this truck to commute anyway. I love the exterior design. Leather seats are good, XM radio is great. The kids love the DVD player. Very roomy, and plenty of power to tow a boat and the whole family. Parking brakes are flaw designed; I found lots of complaints about them. Mine ain't working either. Interior plastics look cheap, but I don't mind. Replacing OEM rims with larger chrome rims and low profile tires makes the truck look awesome.

Roomy, power, very comfy, feels like driving a big car and not a truck.

2nd in a row with transmisson problems
By Quality issues

2004 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 2500 LS Rwd 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

It is easy to drive with great performance and gas mileage that I accept, but the thing was slapped together design-wise and put together poorly with cheap materials. The coat hook is placed in the wrong place and most all of the plastic covers for the seat tracks and one rear door light cover fell off. The rear door lights never have worked. The transmission soon failed after the 35,000.00 mile warranty ended and cost over $1,800.00 to rebuild. The ignition switch failed; that cost was $600.00 plus the car rental. A power window motor failed. The leather seat has not torn and has not come loose at a seam, but it is of such thin, poor quality it has worn though.

Roomy, comfortable, quiet, easy to drive, great power.

Design it better for function and us much better materials that do not fall off or apart.

2004 Chevolet Suburban
By ddzncle

2004 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS Rwd 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought my 2004 Suburban to transport mygrand children. It has become the car pool vehicle for my friends going to events around town. We can get 8 people in it plus luggage. The third seat comfort is not the best but good for short trips.

Love the ride and the space. It has the same features as the more expensive Escalade.

I had to replace the complete dash board console at 40,000 miles (covered under extended warranty). At 50 thousand miles had to replace a noisy steering shaft that was not covered under warrenty.

The Grocery-Getter From Hell
By MuzzledRooster

2004 Chevrolet Suburban SUV 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Vehicle choices for those of us with multiple children are limited. We have 5 kids and wanted something that offered more room, comfort, and power than our minivan. Due to the $4/gallon gas prices in July '08 folks were dumping their SUVs like hot cakes. Ours was originally stickered just shy of $50k, but I got it for $15k. What a deal! Our 'Burb decked out: moon roof, leather heated memory seats, heated mirrors, XM 6 disc changer, 17" wheels, rear DVD, you name it! It drives like no other truck I've ever driven and is super comfortable. This is technically my wife's vehicle but I find excuses to drive it. We love it and will buy another when this one is worn out.

DVD for the kids. XM. Driver setting recall. Lumbar support. Rear heat/AC. Plenty of power. Smooth ride. Auto 4WD. Adjustable pedals. Ability to pull a travel trailer. Classy look of the Suburban

Dealer never mentioned the E85 capability, this is a selling point worth mentioning, in my opinion. Educate your sales reps! I'd love for this thing to get 30 mpg but let's be realistic: a line-backer requires more than 1200 calories per day.