Used 2003 Chevrolet Suburban Consumer Reviews - 153 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Chevrolet Suburban

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

Big, comfortable, reliable, nice driver
By BigDave

2003 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We have had four Suburbans since 1995. All of them have been better than the last. The 2003 is by far the nicest and best riding of the four. Ours has everything but DVD and middle captain's seats. We have had no major problems in 44K miles. Several small things were dealt with under warranty, but no big deal. We get fair mielage, about 15, and we are suprised at how fast and powerful this is with a 5.3 motor. With our kids grown and out of the house, we went without a Suburban for 3 months, then decided to get this 2003. Are we happy we got one more.

XM radio, power, comfort, ride.

A bit better mileage. A bit more leg room for the middle seat passengers. 6.0 motor option

Excellent Family Value
By Kevin

2003 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

This has to be the best Family value out there. It has everything we need. Gas mileage is bad but the rest of the truck makes up for that. Most importantly is the safety and comfort. I have the 8.1L engine and the truck feels like a race car. I tow a camper and a boat so the engine is a plus. Would have been a good idea to put a diesel in it.

8.1L engine and the DVD system

Gas mileage. With the rising gas prices it is a hit to the wallet.

4-wheel Steering is Great!
By amerigo88

2003 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Had the 3/4 ton for 9 months now. Wanted 6.0 liter so ended up with 4-wheel steering and all the toys. It's been great driving all over the Southwest, towing a 6,000 lb trailer and three children. Leather, heated seats, DVD panel for children, 4.1 ratio on rearr axle for towing; it's all good. One complaint is the third row gets jarred when crossing speed bumps. Must be that heavy duty, solid rear axle. WARNING: Take a few weeks to get used to 4-wheel steering, especially before towing. Had an unfortunate accident caused by unfamiliarity. I turned front wheels left, rears went right and shoved trailer into telephone pole while "helping" me turn out faster. $1500

4-wheel steering is really nice for parking and tight quarters. Heated seats were a pleasant, winter surprise. Can get 16 MPG on a long run at around 60 mph. Gets 12 MPG around town. Very strong tow vehicle. Lightly affected by our 30 foot, 6,000 lb trailer.

Big Chevy trucks are needing a front suspension component replaced. Been backordered for months. Making a loud knocking sound. Dealer assures us it is common to many 3/4 ton Chevys now. The 4-wheel drive and 4-wheel steering combo was a bit noisy at low speed even before this. Thirsty.

Great Truck
By JR

This Z71 is our first Suburban and
everything has been fantastic. 23K
miles so far and not a single
problem! We tow a large boat and it's
up to the task. Gas mileage is same
as my 1995 Grand Cherokee 6cyl (combined
13.5 mpg), but highway is around 18-
19. No complaints at all - it's a
first class ride.

Heated seats, smooth engine, XM/Bose, sunroof, looks. Huge interior, but mileage better than expected!

Rear bumper sensors (you need something back there!).

I love my truck!
By Truckin' in Chicago

I bought my Suburban Z71 when I had my
third child. I needed a comfortable
3rd row plus cargo space. I was a bit
apprehensive about maneuvering a big
SUV after owning a Blazer, but it was
no problem. I love the size, the
styling and the comfort. The Z71 add
ons make it even better looking. I
have been thoroughly happy with my
truck and would highly recommend it!

Style, programmable settings for 2 drivers, Bose sound system, size.

The plastic cladding on the exterior isn't my favorite look, but it has saved me some dings on the wheel wells.