Used 2003 Chevrolet Suburban Consumer Reviews - 153 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Chevrolet Suburban

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

5.3 seem bulletproof
By consolidatedwm

2003 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Bought the our '03 z71 burb after an accident sidelined our same style Tahoe. We had 160K on the clock with the Tahoe and I'm convinced it would have gone well past 200K with no major repairs. Very dependable and it never left us stuck. I'm sticking with the 5.3 engine and glad I did with the 'burb. Ride quality is incredible and we are amazed at the steering radius in the 'burb vs our older Tahoe. Creature features all are good quality and overall we give kudos to GM for quality, looks, and performance. We did change out all fluids to synthetics as we had good luck last time - why tempt fate. We will be in the market for a brand new one it two years, very happy with what we have to get us there.

Her: Heated seats. Him: Automatic seat adjust per driver, lumbar and overall added capacity over the Tahoe.

Mileage, but what can you do? If you want a bus you're gonna pay. We still get about 17mpg avg

Poor Reliability
By Bryce Christensen

2003 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Z71 Ride quality is very good and the vehicle is fun to drive. However the vehicle has had numerous reliability problems at 50,000 miles. The instrument cluster has gone bad, front end is loosening up, shocks gave out, replaced side mirrors, lights, etc. Recommend selling once the warranty expires or purchasing an extended warranty. Or purchase a better engineered SUV and avoid the extended warranty and service hassles all together. Actual gas mileage is around 13 MPG on average.

Fix the poorly engineered dash electrical cluster and side mirror features. Front end suspension is highly questionable

Transfer Case and Transmission replaced
By NNN from DC

2003 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

After driving 87,000 freeway miles in 3 years, the transfer case and transmission went out at the same time. So much for being built to last. Not certain if I will ever buy American again as our qualilty can not compete!

Bose system rocks!

Focus on quality! Offer 10/100K as a standard warranty.

2003 Z71 4X4
By z71

2003 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

First off, not going to complain about MPG because I knew it when I bought it. 18 hwy, 14 city. 17 hwy with 6 passengers and a weeks worth of luggage. Drives great, like sitting up high. I have the Z71 package, handling is better than expected, parking is easy. We have two minivans as well, 4 kids and the Suburban is the vehicle of choice for long trips - only one that can hold all our luggage. Have the 2nd row captain chairs which makes it easier to access the third row, but not as easy as the minivans. That is the only advantage the minivans have. My wife preferred the minivan because of ease of access, but now she wants a Suburban when we replace hers, probably in 08.

Cargo room behind third seat; center console is the best I've ever had; message center has tons of info; I hear lots of complaints about interior quality but have yet to have anything break (w/ 4 kids!); Bose sound system is great;

Put cruise buttons on steering wheel; Split folding third row seat; flat folding third row seat; waiting for the Duramax diesel, even if it is only offered in the 2500 and cost $5K more! Removable or flatter folding 2nd row - easier to fit a 8'X4' sheet of plywood. Ditch XM and pick up Sirius

Last Chevy
By PW

2003 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Where to begin, probably the worst truck I ever owned. Four Wheel Drive front end was replaced, steering box of some sort replaced, speedometer cable/control, catalytic converter, battery leaked and went dead (15K miles), acid ate through the pump for the windshield washer. Tons of problems. Biggest pile of junk I have owned. Latest problem I have is it slips into 4wd, but the indicator light does not go on, happened twice. I am going back to Ford.

Size

Quality. GM spends more man hours to build a vehicle, but it sure doesn't show