Used 2003 Chevrolet Suburban Consumer Reviews - 153 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2003 Chevrolet Suburban

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

I Used to Love This Truck!
By Nikki

2003 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I bought this truck brand new in 2003. I love the interior space of this truck. Now, in 2010, the truck has 128,000 miles. Can't remember all the repairs I had done on truck. Most repairs was covered under warranty. When truck went out of warranty more problems increased. Now truck loses power while being driven (so dangerous), Front A/C control blows only on max, passenger airbag needs to be serviced. Took truck to Chevy dealership and they can't find the problem with any of the things I just listed. Got to keep 1/4 or more of gas in tank or car won't start. Wish I'd known to keep truck until warranty ran out & then purchased another SUV. However, I will really miss this truck. :(

Spacious interior, so comfortable, running boards, seats, cargo area, privacy glass windows, automatic light sensor features, body of truck, good sound system, the powerful feel of truck, love the interior space, love the 4 wheel drive

Fix Electrical Systems, Fix Fuel Pump Issues, Issue more recalls, Fix the a/c unit problems, Fix passenger air bag issues, More gas mileage

Great vehicle
By rob

2003 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Very roomy for a family of 7. Great for long trips with the DVD system and interior comfort. Tons of storage space..for a family of 7. Gas mileage is excellent for the vehicle size we averaged 14.7 over the first several years. Powerful engine that can handle mountainous roads with ease.

Seating for 8. Great for towing. awesome in the snow.

Workhorse
By Troy S

2003 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We bought our LT brand new and now have 137k miles on it. Still runs great and we have had very few problems. We have replaced the water pump and brakes and the rear AC drain got clogged and flooded the back. Have experienced some electrical gremlins too but our LT has had a propensity to heal itself! The engine is strong and doesn't burn oil (we have maintained it well) and it is still tight after 137k miles. Leather seats are showing their age, but also have four kids! I expect that we will start having repairs based on miles and age, but knock on wood - so far so good. This is third Suburban - my dad drives a 99 with almost 200k on it.

Great for long trips, roomy, comfortable, the DVD player and Bose system are excellent, great pulling our nearly 5,000 lb boat. Hope to get 200k out of her before we retire her.

Gas mileage is not great but this thing is huge! Electrical system is questionable but knock on wood, things are working right now. Will certainly consider buying another when we retire her.

Mama's Beast
By CopperNcorn

2003 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

Bought this maxed out LT with about 15,000 miles, now has 99,000. Tows 30- foot travel trailer easily with 6.0L gas V-8. The 4-wheel steering is handy, but don't use Burb much now as am worried about costly repairs and it gets 12mpg, maybe 15mpg on long trips, 12mpg on long trips with the trailer. I can't believe the depreciation, especially when gas hit $4 per gallon - terrifying. Will drive it until the wheels fall off. Wife loves her Burb, but it's so costly to operate. Probably logging less than 5,000 miles per year now.

It easily totes Mom, Dad, and 4 children plus all the stuff in the "way back". Very strong tow vehicle, zero engine or tranny troubles. Awesome for hauling family 700 miles in a day with built-in DVD player. Heated leather seats are great in winter.

Front end makes a grinding noise in low- speed turns after 30 minutes of warm-up time. Problem comes and goes, mechanics have never resolved it. Had to wait 6 months for repair parts on a steering assembly recall. Replaced front hubs at 65,000 miles. Power extending towing mirrors.

2500 8.1
By mikesbrunn

2003 Chevrolet Suburban 2500 LS Rwd 4dr SUV (6.0L 8cyl 4A)

I have just passed 96000. miles. The only maintanence has been oil and trans fluids. I have never even had the brakes done. I use this to tow a 24 ft box trailer with an antique car, weight is 11,000 lbs. We have been thru the Rocky Mt 3 times and this truck pulls effortly. I would buy a new one but no 8 liters are made anymore.

stereo, 8 liter, premade trailer hook up