Used 2002 Chevrolet Suburban Consumer Reviews - 81 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Chevrolet Suburban

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

What a boat
By Mark

2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I am a fairly young driver(21) and I am hard on my vehicles, previously owning a Scion xB and a Honda S2000. This domestic has truly surprised me on how reliable and amazing to drive. I have taken my truck through miles and miles of snow and on a regular basis a good 2 feet of water (Through a part of a river close to home). I have yet to have any major service, only an A/C belt and oil/fluids that I can change myself. I go on trips almost every weekend with at least 6 people each time. I love the room and with a programmer this thing is like a giant rocket.

Space! Big comfy seats, and more than enough power.

More ground clearance, more agressive wheel/tire option.

Satisfied owner
By steve

2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Vehicle has been completely trouble free for 100,000 miles. Very solid and stable at high speeds has held up real well as a vehicle used for kids sports and to towing my boat. I will be buying a new one in the fall. Just the most vehicle for the money in the market.

The space with the second row of captain chairs and the great space in the back.

Auto lift back door and maybe hybird.

2002 LT
By Alan

2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We bought the vehicle because of 4 kids and needed more legroom than our GMC Safari. Kids never complain about legroom (even with 2 teenagers). The vehicle is great on long trips. It is a very comfortable ride. We have not really had any mechanical issues, but have had the radio system replaced once (the digital clock kept resetting to 1:00) but the dealer was great about the warranty work. I like the 4- wheel ABS and OnStar.

Smooth power, comfortable ride. We really like the vehicle's styling. We also like the OnStar option.

I wish there were steering wheel controls for the stereo system.

It's Awesome
By Dominic Schreiber

2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This is the only vehicle I have ever purchased new. It was a Christmas present for my wife after downsizing her from an Expedition to an Audi A4! The Suburban is HEAD AND SHOULDERS above the Expedition! I have had it over four years now with 79000 miles and NOT A PEEP out of it. Yeah it sucks gas....but look at what it is! I will never get rid of it unless I buy a new one!

Everything

A Duramax Diesel

You get what you pay for
By KEITH

2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This truck has the z71 suspension, towing package, interior upgrades. I have not driven a full sized SUV that has driving this well. The rear locking differential is a wonderful feature to augment 4 wheel performance. A heavy vehicle for steep descents on ice. It’s imperative to know how to drive a vehicle in icy conditions when traversing this much weight. Comfort level is very high on and off road. Fuel usage is not overcome by the great power band of the motor - it still hurts to fill it up. Small price for the safety of my passengers. This vehicle is not to be compared to car based SUV's. Don't lift the suspension of this truck it becomes top heavy and loses its solid stance.

The kids like the DVD player. I like the suspension, space in back, third seat and engine power. I also like the heating and cooling controls it allows for the interior to have different comfort levels throughout the truck.

When I read reviews I notice the scores go down as the models go toward basic models. Clearly, the z71 suspension is key to enjoying this vehicle. The upgraded interior is very nice and I would not want to have something other than power leather seats. Required 4-wheel drive, towing package.