Used 2002 Chevrolet Suburban Consumer Reviews - 81 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Chevrolet Suburban

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

A Comfortable Workhorse
By AC

2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

This truck has been great for me. Lots of highway miles every weekend and it has been - no issues except cosmetic, normal wear and tear.

Power and room

Less plastic on the grille and bumpers

Great Family SUV
By Great Family vehicle

2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

We bought this vehicle with the birth of our first child (three children later) and it has been all we have needed as a family vehicle. I refuse to do the mini-van even though gas mileage would be better but, I wouldn't change our decision for a second. 80k miles later and it still starts and runs like the first day we bought it. Just keep up with regular maintance and I plan to drive it till it dies.

Spacious room, good handling for a big vehicle (good turning radius), reliability, and easy to drive.

I don't think they offered it when I bought it but, steering wheel controls (ie; for the radio) would have made it perfect.

Safety First
By Safety First

2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 2WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

So I bought this used Suburban about 3 months ago with about 66000 miles on it. I was looking forward to many years, but it only lasted 3 months. A lady ran a red light, and I hit her Tahoe in the side at 55 MPH. I can't say enough about this truck. I hit the other lady so hard that one of my headlights was stuck in the side of her car, yet I was not hurt at all. I was able to walk around right after the accident. Sure I was sore the next week from the force of the impact, but considering how hard the impact was I am amazed at how my lack of injury. I will definately be buying another one. I know that I am safe in this vehicle. Thanks GM!

Collision safety, tons of space, and fun to drive, inside is very comfortable even though I have back problems. Smooth ride

Better gas mileage is always nice, but getting 15+ around town with a heavy foot isn't bad for something this big. Split 3rd row seat, or fold away would be nice.

Not happy
By Dan

2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

Well, this is Suburban number 3 for my family and will probably be the last one I buy. We love having the room for our son, the dogs, and all our gear, but this is a money pit. Gas mileage is 14.2 running 70-75mph, replaced fuel pump at 85,000. Between 85,000 and 100,000 we have spent $3200 in repairs. Add in the tune-up, brake flush, radiator flush and we are over $3500. The Suburban is probably one of the best vehicles in terms of meeting the needs of our family (pulling a boat, hunting, traveling, etc), but the fact that I can't get 100,000 miles out of a vehicle without a pile full of repairs is insane. Unless you can trade every 3 years on new, don't buy a Suburban.

Size, ride.

Chevy needs to make these vehicles more reliable. They have the system down...you buy and at 100,000 you best be ready to put money into them. Then they put "lifetime warranty" parts on them. Why don't they use those parts in the first place???

What a way to build a vehicle !
By Chip

2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LS 4WD 4dr SUV (5.3L 8cyl 4A)

I have had this vehicle since new and only had a couple of problems. The I- Shaft for the steering (GM knows of this problem and repaired it), 2 master cylinders (covered under extended warranty). Drives rock solid, in snow, water, dry pavement. Pulls boat trailer and race trailer with little problem. Bigger motor would have been better choice and a Duramax Diesel would be better.

Ride and comfort are great.

DuraMax diesel w/Allison trans