Used 1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV Consumer Reviews - 99 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV

View reviews for a specific Suburban model:

A beast of comfort and reliability.
By father of four

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 LT 4dr SUV 4WD

Yes, these times might make you say to yourself - my gosh, can I afford the gas. Well, if you can find a vehicle that can haul as much as this can, can motor across most any surface - dry, slick, or wet, and can haul this many folks in comfort all while getting better gas mileage, well, I say go for it. I have had this vehicle since it was new, and I swear by it. Yep, it'll eat brakes, but its about 4 tons of truck so that's to be expected. Comfort is an understatement. Safety is an understatement. Put the kids in their seats and strap them in and you're fine. And I have had no real issues with relability, just normal maintenance issues that were easily fixed.

Front and rear A/C. Good sound system. Good torque and HP. Outstanding comfort. Can pull with vigor. Good traction in all conditions with the right tires.

The sliding seat forward on the right passenger side can be removed, but sliding it back and forth for access to the 3d seat is a non starter for kids. They just jump the seat and plop down in the back.

My 99 Burban
By Brian

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 LT 4dr SUV 4WD

It used to have a 2" lift in the rear & ran gr8 until my boss sold it to my job. They replaced the motor at 110k. The day I bought it, the radiator broke. It ran great for a while. Besides the regular maintenance, I replaced oil plug (thanks castrol 10 min oil change), distributor, front rotors, hub bearings, 4 shocks, new tires, u- joints, rotors, shoes & pads, bank 2 cat. converter & o2 sensor. I still have a shake in the rear end but no one knows what is causing the truck to shake. They told me tires but I am not changing them again unless they are paying for it. I was told rear end or trany but unless they are going to pay 4 it, i'm leaving it alone. Cannot go over 70 mph.

Besides the shake, it is an awesome truck. I get 630 miles the the big 42 gal. tank. It costs around $90 to $130.00 to fill up. I can drive from central Fla. to central Norht Carolina in one tank.

Get rid of the shake while driving & the shake when iddleing (the shake when iddleing & driving is 2 different shakes). I have proved it to the mechanics but no one can tell me what is causing it.

My family loves it
By Love it

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 LS 4dr SUV 4WD

We bought this truck for trips and moderate city driving. It has been great with a family of three and two large labs. My wife loves to drive it even though it seems like a very large vehicle. This is the best experience I've had with a Chevy. I plan on driving it until the wheels fall off. We have had good luck with maintance. Currently it has 89000 miles.

Love the room and large gas tank

Better access to third row

Love the Beast
By Q

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV K1500 LS 4dr SUV 4WD

Great truck. Plenty of power and room. Runs great at 130,000. 4x4 was a must and I was not disappointed. Got a great deal on the beast. Have a slight problem with the power locks. Leather interior is ridiculously comfortable. My favorite truck to date... easy. Did I mention the power?

Power. Love the square body. Interior.

Heavy on the gas.

Dependable at times
By Bigg Poppa P

1999 Chevrolet Suburban SUV C1500 LT 4dr SUV

Bought used with 78K to tow our 21 foot Outback TT. Tows OK. Replaced battery, altenator, starter and original tires at 80000. Fuel gauge needle vibrates. Changed engine oil to synthetic had minor leaks, went back to regular QS. Installed Magnaflow muffler with dual outs, K&N air filter and throttle body spacer. HP and mileage improved. Front discs warped did complete brake job. Manifold gasket replaced at 111000 and new starter. The DRL's worked when we bought it. Now they come on whenever. Fuel pump very loud since we bought it and is hanging in there. Small leak in A/C system. Water leaks from hard rains cleaned drain no luck. Headlite lenses dull bought new ones. Buy again? Newer maybe!

Inside space and exterior looks.

Beefier brakes, bigger tire/wheel size, stronger tranny, reliable fuel pump, better manifold gaskets, higher output alternator and battery, more horsepower and torque. Overall quality!